Autoweek: Mark Fields is a wuss

It's political? I don't think Ford would do anything to miss out on increasing sales, even at the sacrifice of the beloved EcoBoost. Ford and (lest I remind everyone) almost every other automaker doesn't see a large market for diesels over the next few years. I don't see it as an "either/or" scenario for Ford. They are simply gauging what they believe to be the market's demands.

You guys in the US love the sniff of diesel fumes from diesel pick-up trucks, why don't the Californians ban fumes from huge great pick-ups like they do with puny small diesel car engines. You Californians are an odd lot.

Still if they US banned the huge great diesel pick-up engines Stateside the F-Series would end up being just another vehicle that lives out the US top 10 best sellers like all Ford cars do.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys in the US love the sniff of diesel fumes from diesel pick-up trucks, why don't the Californians ban fumes from huge great pick-ups like they do with puny small diesel car engines. You Californians are an odd lot.

Still if they US banned the huge great diesel pick-up engines Stateside the F-Series would end up being just another vehicle that lives out the US top 10 best sellers like all Ford cars do.

Please don't use the term "you Californians" when responding to my posts.

Thank you.

Thank you.

just a matter of time before Cal emiisions are country wide....personally i think the sniffers ( SCAQMD )would be better off attacking older belchers than laying responsibility on new car manufacturers, that and leaf blowers, lawnmowers, chainsaws, recreational vehicles ( I beleive thay are adressing the last ) all of which make motorcars look like the Virgin Mary.

just a matter of time before Cal emiisions are country wide....personally i think the sniffers ( SCAQMD )would be better off attacking older belchers than laying responsibility on new car manufacturers, that and leaf blowers, lawnmowers, chainsaws, recreational vehicles ( I beleive thay are adressing the last ) all of which make motorcars look like the Virgin Mary.

Why bother attacking "old belchers"? They contribute basically nothing to the overall pollution levels since there are so few of them compared to new models. I also think it is absolutely ridiculous that new vehicles need to be tested as often as they are. It's nothing more than an easy revenue stream for state governments.

They will take away from EcoBoost sale.

How do you know this?

Your SWAGging it, just like everyone else that assures us that diesels will take off.

For instance, if we buy Ford's assurances that EcoBoost will cost anywhere from $700 to $1000 per car, are we assuming that diesel tech will cost the same? Or are we assuming that people will pay an extra $1000-$2500 on top of the EcoBoost premium to buy an oil burner that will net them only a 15% (give or take) improvement in fuel cost over an economy tuned DI turbo gas engine?

Bearing in mind, of course that the Econetic engines in Europe run so lean that their NOx emissions per mile driven exceed a 5.4L equipped F150..........................

Why bother attacking "old belchers"? They contribute basically nothing to the overall pollution levels since there are so few of them compared to new models. I also think it is absolutely ridiculous that new vehicles need to be tested as often as they are. It's nothing more than an easy revenue stream for state governments.

agreed...as for the old belchers....they are alive and kicking here in So Cal...usually complete with a lawnmower in the trunk, millions of beany babbys behind the rear seat , 6 occupants, faded paint/ rust, backfires and broken rear suspension....if there was a warrant of fitness ala Europe they would NOT be on the road....I remember years ago there was a " no matter what condition or mileage we will give $1000 for your trade in" that was quite sucessful in getting them off the road....now imagine if they did that towards mowers with catalysts etc.....

Why bother attacking "old belchers"? They contribute basically nothing to the overall pollution levels since there are so few of them compared to new models.

If clean air is the goal...there should be no exceptions. I could never understand why this segment gets off Scott-Free...there is a lot of ICE's used in a variety of different equipment with little to no emission control.

agreed...as for the old belchers....they are alive and kicking here in So Cal...usually complete with a lawnmower in the trunk, millions of beany babbys behind the rear seat , 6 occupants, faded paint/ rust, backfires and broken rear suspension....if there was a warrant of fitness ala Europe they would NOT be on the road....I remember years ago there was a " no matter what condition or mileage we will give $1000 for your trade in" that was quite sucessful in getting them off the road....now imagine if they did that towards mowers with catalysts etc.....

Well, I have no issues really with occasional safety inspection requirements for vehicles. The only time a safety inspection needs to be done here in MD is when buying a used car. My Mustang hasn't had a safety inspection in the 11+ years I've owned. Granted, I've kept mine up, but I've seen some others on the road that I pass quickly for fear of being behind them in the event of their impending catastrophic failure at highway speeds. Keeping some of those vehicles off the road isn't a bad thing.

I've seen some others on the road that I pass quickly for fear of being behind them in the event of their impending catastrophic failure at highway speeds.

Man, back when I was in college, I was driving down the interstate (speed limit was 65) at roughly 70, and this guy in a mid 70s Oldsmobuick blew by me like I was standing still--all four windows rolled down and his arm resting on the driver's side door. It was something else.

Thank you.

Well apart from you and Deanh and yourself Nick at least you are pro-car, have they banned the use of aircraft at LAX or stopped shipping entering the ports that are the busiest in the world NO, Arnies a hypocrit.

Still California burn uses more fuel than the whole of China, gotta say if you could just use a bit more fuel Nick the world would run out of fossil fuels a lot quicker, then we could be riding ponys again, How green is that.

I can see why Arnie is trying burn of the earth entire fossil fuel supplies in his Hummer now and save the world it all make sense you californians are so clever.

Amazing Stat: California Uses More Gas than China

Given all the news coverage about the rise of the Chinese economy, you could be forgiven for thinking that the world's most populous country is hogging all the world's resources, while the developed nations are fighting for scraps. But, at least with transportation fuel, you'd be wrong. California alone uses more gasoline than any country in the world (except the US as a whole, of course). That means California's 20 billion gallon gasoline and diesel habit is greater than China's! (Or Russia's. Or India's. Or Brazil's. Or Germany's.)

But China's oil thirst is growing -- to almost 20 billion gallons in 2007 -- and perhaps as early as this year.

China's 1.3 billion people will overtake California's 37 million people in total gasoline and diesel usage.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/07...ng-stat-ca.html

WE NEED TO BAN THESE PUNY DIESEL CARS A BIG GAS GUZZLING PICK-UP IS MUCH BETTER AT BELCHING OUT THOSE NICE DIESEL FUMES.

Very odd indeed.

Man, back when I was in college, I was driving down the interstate (speed limit was 65) at roughly 70, and this guy in a mid 70s Oldsmobuick blew by me like I was standing still--all four windows rolled down and his arm resting on the driver's side door. It was something else.

Mullet & cigarettes stuffed up the sleeve ?

Well apart from you and Deanh and yourself Nick at least you are pro-car, have they banned the use of aircraft at LAX or stopped shipping entering the ports that are the busiest in the world NO, Arnies a hypocrit.

Still California burn uses more fuel than the whole of China, gotta say if you could just use a bit more fuel Nick the world would run out of fossil fuels a lot quicker, then we could be riding ponys again, How green is that.

I can see why Arnie is trying burn of the earth entire fossil fuel supplies in his Hummer now and save the world it all make sense you californians are so clever.

Given all the news coverage about the rise of the Chinese economy, you could be forgiven for thinking that the world's most populous country is hogging all the world's resources, while the developed nations are fighting for scraps. But, at least with transportation fuel, you'd be wrong. California alone uses more gasoline than any country in the world (except the US as a whole, of course). That means California's 20 billion gallon gasoline and diesel habit is greater than China's! (Or Russia's. Or India's. Or Brazil's. Or Germany's.)

But China's oil thirst is growing -- to almost 20 billion gallons in 2007 -- and perhaps as early as this year.

China's 1.3 billion people will overtake California's 37 million people in total gasoline and diesel usage.

WE NEED TO BAN THESE PUNY DIESEL CARS A BIG GAS GUZZLING PICK-UP IS MUCH BETTER AT BELCHING OUT THOSE NICE DIESEL FUMES.

Very odd indeed.

You missed the point. I would prefer you not refer to me as "you Californians" because I DO NOT LIVE IN CALIFORNIA. :hysterical:

Very odd indeed.

wow...crazy stats....but thanks to our emissions we do NOT have Bejing like air...so perhaps it is a GOOD thing no.....did you watch the Olympics...SCARY....man did I feel for the marathon runners and Cyclists...apparently they stopped any for of traffic for a while to try and improve the MUD they call air....now...imagine how much worse it will be 10 years from now if they ignore emission quality!!!!!!!! cut that air with a knife, would you like rice and a bottle of Sake with that air entree??????

You missed the point. I would prefer you not refer to me as "you Californians" because I DO NOT LIVE IN CALIFORNIA. :hysterical:

Gotta say l always thought you lived in Hollywood Nick being a BON moderator and all that, did your Mum kick you out the family home in California because you kept boring at the breakfast table with talk of ecoboost every morning or was it the P-71 nightmares you kept waking up to in the middle of the night.

Still l like both you and Deanh the Cobra and Mini are both great cars.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Gotta say l always though you lived in Hollywood Nick being a BON moderator and all that, did your Mum kick you the family home in California because you kept boring at the breakfast table with talk of ecoboost every morning or the P-71 nightmare you kept waking up to in the middle of the night.

shhh, I bought the Mini because it makes me look bigger...........

Gotta say l always though you lived in Hollywood Nick being a BON moderator and all that, did your Mum kick you the family home in California because you kept boring at the breakfast table with talk of ecoboost every morning or the P-71 nightmare you kept waking up to in the middle of the night.

Ugh, I couldn't be more anti-Hollywood really. I enjoy good cinema, but beyond that, I don't want to see anything from that cesspool. I live on the RIGHT coast. :D

shhh, I bought the Mini because it makes me look bigger...........

:hysterical:

Ugh, I couldn't be more anti-Hollywood really. I enjoy good cinema, but beyond that, I don't want to see anything from that cesspool. I live on the RIGHT coast. :D

:hysterical:

hey don't judge So Cal by the plastic fantastics that parade a place reminicent of a Wax Museum....Orange County has some FANTASTIC areas including some great beach communitys....thongs are actually pretty comfortable.....