Autoweek: Mark Fields is a wuss

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was using national figures. Here are 10 diesel cars that will be in the USA in 2010 with more on the way. These are in addition to the ones already here. No Fords.

The national average means nothing to consumers in high volume areas like Chicago. Diesel has been at least a dollar more here for years. What do you think the price difference would be if more diesel cars are offered, and demand was even greater???? Your logic is flawed when it comes to Ford and diesel cars.

DSCN2381.jpg

You bastard that hurt, thats where that idiot T-Stag comes from.

Exactly our point. Nick lives some 3000 miles, 3 time zones, and about 6 different sociopolitical paradigms away from California.

Although he can take the same route (US 50) from his city of Annapolis (the capital of Maryland) to Sacramento (the capital of California). :P :P :P :P

And BTW, my parents are married, sir. :shades:

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

they let cousins marry in your area?

Hey, at least he's not this guy:

250px-Juan_de_Miranda_Carreno_002.jpg

Charles' own immediate pedigree was exceptionally populated with nieces giving birth to children of their uncles: Charles' mother was niece of Charles' father, being daughter of Maria Anna of Spain (1606-46) and Emperor Ferdinand III. Thus, Empress Maria Anna was simultaneously his aunt and grandmother.
Charles descended from Joanna a total of 14 times — twice as a great-great-great grandson, and 12 times further

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain

Ford has opted out of not only the diesel passenger car market but also a 45 mpg Prius competitor and a Volt competitor (PHEV).

Why don't you list all the companies that are in/announced to be in those market segments also.

BTW, your list is wrong. 2010 will be a make or break year for Ford.

You are so sure Ford opted out of a Volt competitior, where do you get your info? Why did you make this assertion?

Big Al is in to making money, not accolades.

CAFE MPG numbers are about to fall big time on hybrids as cars like the Prius MPG they quote will be have to lowered.

Auto Express reports.......

Hybrids in fuel economy blow

New fuel economy rules are set to have a crippling effect on hybrid mpg figures.

Until now, testers have classified plug-in models as all-electric – so only their battery power has been assessed, producing inflated economy figures. But the United Nations argues that as the cars switch to fuel once the battery is flat, those emissions should also be included in the calculation.

The loophole has now been closed in the UK, however – so cars such as the forthcoming electric Toyota Prius will get their own test. A spokesman for the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) told us: “The United Nations has come up with a system for the UK where hybrids are tested once when the battery is full, and again when it is empty and the engine is running.”

General Motors says the method of testing is also being reviewed in the US – where the Chevrolet Volt has a rating of 100mpg. The Volt, due here in 2011, is an electric vehicle with a range-extending petrol back-up generator. So its economy figures are sure to be slashed if the proposals get the go-ahead.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...onomy_blow.html

It's political? I don't think Ford would do anything to miss out on increasing sales, even at the sacrifice of the beloved EcoBoost. Ford and (lest I remind everyone) almost every other automaker doesn't see a large market for diesels over the next few years. I don't see it as an "either/or" scenario for Ford. They are simply gauging what they believe to be the market's demands.

Ahh Nick, you need a lesson in Marketing !

One of Marketing jobs is to convince the buying public that they want or need something that they don't have and the company does have ! Give them 2 choices, EcoBoost and diesel, and you might just confuse them !

Ahh Nick, you need a lesson in Marketing !

One of Marketing jobs is to convince the buying public that they want or need something that they don't have and the company does have ! Give them 2 choices, EcoBoost and diesel, and you might just confuse them !

But which would be an easier and more affordable marketing task: Convince someone to buy a car that runs on the same gasoline he/she has been running in his/her car all his/her life......or.....convince them that spending nearly a dollar more for a gallon of diesel fuel which isn't even available at 80% of fueling stations in the US right now just so he/she can get a bit better fuel economy?

I have no doubt that there will come a time when diesel will be the way to go. I just don't see that time as being in the next 4-5 years.

Edited by NickF1011

FoE sells incredibly efficient diesel engines that don't meet US regulations and retail diesel pumps are limited at US gas stations.

That's two big hurdles that Ecoboost neatly avoids while giving diesel like economy with far greater horsepower and performance.

FoE sells incredibly efficient diesel engines that don't meet US regulations and retail diesel pumps are limited at US gas stations.

That's two big hurdles that Ecoboost neatly avoids while giving diesel like economy with far greater horsepower and performance.

we hope.........fingers crossed.....now this ethanol injection has me curious as well......combo of the two?

But which would be an easier and more affordable marketing task: Convince someone to buy a car that runs on the same gasoline he/she has been running in his/her car all his/her life......or.....convince them that spending nearly a dollar more for a gallon of diesel fuel which isn't even available at 80% of fueling stations in the US right now just so he/she can get a bit better fuel economy?

I have no doubt that there will come a time when diesel will be the way to go. I just don't see that time as being in the next 4-5 years.

A reasonable argument !

What happens when Big Oil stops exporting so much diesel and the supply demand situation in the US suddenly flips ?

post-11847-1224287090_thumb.jpg