Your Car Reveals Your Voting Habits

RangerM

The BOF Dream Thread! :happy feet:

Link to article

Tomorrow, some of you will help select the next president of the United States. In the never-ending stream of polls comes one that any car lover can appreciate.

According to research by automotive price guide Kelley Blue Book; your vehicle preference reveals your political preference.

The company says that Sen. John McCain leads among owners of domestic and luxury cars, including GMC (61 percent of owners prefer McCain), Chevrolet (60 percent), Buick and Dodge (58 percent), Ford (57 percent), Lexus, BMW and Lincoln (52 percent). Kelley's research also finds that 66 percent of full-sized truck owners support McCain, as do owners of SUVs (61 percent) and luxury SUVs (61 percent).

Meanwhile, Sen. Barack Obama leads among import owners, including Mini (70 percent), Subaru (61 percent), Saab (59 percent) and Honda (50 percent). Fifty-nine percent of station wagon owners support Obama, as do owners of hatchbacks (55 percent), crossover SUVs (52 percent) and hybrids (48 percent).

Rick Wainschel, senior vice president of marketing and analytics for Kelley Blue Book, said strong sales of those vehicles align with states where a particular candidate is leading in the polls.

What's the bottom line?

In the past two presidential elections, Wainschel says the Blue Book's findings have accurately predicted the winner.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is no surprise. People who purchase the Toyota's, Honda's and other foreign cars don't give a sh!t about the American economy or their fellow citizens. But they want Americans to buy their products if they own a business. These idiots don't have a clue.

I think I made this point on my "Wrong to buy American" thread sometime back.

I was then batted around like a cat toy for saying it... :shades:

I can appreciate what both of you have said here, but I will admit I posted the thread as a bit of a joke.

With the hyper-partisanship we've experienced, I figure we could use a little levity.

We're all friends (I hope), and Ford fans, two days from now.

Good post, this place could use some levity. Some people here are at the point of panic.

I agree that it's probably a pretty accurate breakdown. I have a Ford, Honda, and Nissan, and am a registered independent. Unless something major comes up, I'll be voting for Obama.

I bought my F150 because it's a good truck, and I come from a previously Ford-only family.

I bought my Honda Civic because I needed a small daily driver, and while I liked the Focus, the Honda drove better, and had better styling.

I bought the Nissan because I wouldn't touch an Explorer after the problems my step mother had with hers (2002), and the Trailblazer drove like a boat compared to the Xterra.

The political thing breaks down well with me, as I have some liberal views, and some conservative ones.

I can appreciate what both of you have said here, but I will admit I posted the thread as a bit of a joke.

With the hyper-partisanship we've experienced, I figure we could use a little levity.

We're all friends (I hope), and Ford fans, two days from now.

AMEN...Oops, wrong thread...

This is no surprise. People who purchase the Toyota's, Honda's and other foreign cars don't give a sh!t about the American economy or their fellow citizens. But they want Americans to buy their products if they own a business. These idiots don't have a clue.

I've said this all along!

And what I still can't figure out is why does the UAW continue to endorse these assholes these foreign car driving UN-AMERICAN sellouts vote for anyway?

I didn't even have to drive my import to cast my vote for Obama today. Thought I may take my F150 out to stretch her legs, but the poll was only a block over from my place. ;)

I love this country. :stirpot:

Seriously though, you guys really need to relax.

I'll relax...once there's a viable third party in this country. Both candidates are useless political turds.

Seems to me a lot of WINNING candidates drove FORDS!

(Thinking out loud).....Bill Clinton had a 67 Ford Mustang convertible, Barack Obama (poll leader so far!) has a Ford Escape Hybrid. Kennedy had a lot of Ford/Lincoln/Mercs, I'd seen an early 60s Continental convertible he owned on display at Harrah's in Reno several years ago. LBJ had a 66 Lincoln convertible. (see pic, 2 of 'em and a 37 Ford)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsi...13012DUVxtYLVMp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 10 Interesting Cars of Past Presidents and Current Candidates

The list was compiled by those at Hagerty Insurance, one of the leading insurance agencies for collector vehicles in the country and one of the largest networks of collector car owners. To compile the list, Hagerty researched the personal vehicles of America’s past presidents and current candidates, then selected one car for each individual that was/is the most attention-grabbing for its’ time.

Let’s look at what they found:

1. William Taft (1909-1913): Baker Electric

Taft was the first president to own and drive cars during his presidency. One of the most interesting cars he owned was, ironically enough, “green” - a Baker Electric. This electric vehicle was especially popular with women in the era, as it did not require any cranking and was virtually maintenance-free.

2. Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945): 1939 Packard 12

In the 1920s and 30s, Packard produced some of the most beautiful and innovative cars of the era. Packard’s V-12 engine was especially smooth and provided exceptional performance in its time.

3. Harry S. Truman (1945-1953): 1945 Ford Super Deluxe Tudor Sudan

All automakers shut down their production during World War II and did not return to making passenger cars until 1946. The very first car assembled after World War II was a white Super Deluxe Tudor Sedan assembled on July 3, 1945, and it went to President Harry Truman.

4. Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961): 1956 Chrysler Imperial

The 1956 Chrysler was updated with the new 1956 “Forward Look” styling. This particular model was frequently used by President Dwight D. Eisenhower and became known as “The Detroit Car.”

5. John F. Kennedy (1960-1963): 1961 T-Bird Convertible

This was the first year for the much sleeker “Bullet Bird” styling. The Thunderbird was 1961’s Indianapolis 500 pace car and was featured prominently in U.S. President John F. Kennedy’s inaugural parade (this was probably helped along by the appointment of Ford executive Robert McNamara as Secretary of Defense).

6. Richard Nixon (1969-1974): 1950 Oldsmobile

This particular car owned by Nixon is of historic impact because it was referred to during his infamous “Checkers” speech that was said to save his candidacy for vice-president, when his honesty and loyalty were in question.

7. Ronald Reagan (1981-1989): 1952 Army Jeep, Model M-38A1

This was a gift to President Ronald Reagan from his wife Nancy and was considered highly collectible by the time he received it in the late 1970s.

8. Bill Clinton (1993-2001): 1967 Mustang Convertible

Clinton owned this Mustang as a collector car prior to and during his presidency. He has been quoted as saying that this car was the hardest thing for him to leave behind when he moved to the White House.

9. John McCain (2008 Candidate): First car: 1958 Corvette

This is considered a highly coveted collector car and was the first year for the dual front headlights, which gave the car a much more aggressive look than any earlier Corvette.

Current car: 2006 Cadillac CTS

The CTS is Cadillac’s entry-luxury sport sedan, designed to compete with the best European sport sedans. This is a mid-sized luxury car that gets respectable fuel mileage - up to 27 MPG.

(Edit: actually he or his wife owns/leases 11 cars, several are European or Japanese)

10. Barack Obama (2008 Candidate): First car: Ford Granada

This was reportedly Obama’s grandfather’s car and the car he learned to drive in. To quote Obama directly:

“It may be the worst car that Detroit ever built…This thing was a tin can. (Detroit was) trying to compete with the Japanese. They wanted to keep the cars big, so they made them out of tin foil … You basically couldn’t go over 80 (miles per hour) without the thing getting out of control.”

(edit: he previously owned a gas guzzling Hemi powered Chrysler 300. And together with his comment on the Granada he decided to go back to a Ford :shades: )

Current car: Ford Escape Hybrid

Nearly 100 years after William Taft drove an electric vehicle, Obama traded in his Chrysler 300C for a more fuel-efficient Ford Escape Hybrid. It makes sense that Obama owns a hybrid, since he’s a big supporter of researching the best methods for alternative fuels for transportation.

----------------------------------------------------------

I'll relax...once there's a viable third party in this country. Both candidates are useless political turds.

Oh, I agree. I think the system is horrible (because it doesn't REALLY support a third party), and I also question whether either candidate would REALLY implement change in a system so screwed. I voted for a candidate I thought has more potential to implement change (and get us out of a hopeless war, and secure Roe vs. Wade, and to be honest a bowl of oatmeal would probably be better than Bush). But as you said in another thread, I don't believe ANY major issues will be resolved (such as immigration, health care, etc) and it may be the same thing in a "better suit'.

How do you change a system when the only way to do that is via the broken system? How can you get your foot in the door? Or is a little revolution every now and then a good thing? Is that what it takes?

Edited by the_spaniard

Oh, I agree. I think the system is horrible (because it doesn't REALLY support a third party), and I also question whether either candidate would REALLY implement change in a system so screwed. I voted for a candidate I thought has more potential to implement change (and get us out of a hopeless war, and secure Roe vs. Wade, and to be honest a bowl of oatmeal would probably be better than Bush). But as you said in another thread, I don't believe ANY major issues will be resolved (such as immigration, health care, etc) and it may be the same thing in a "better suit'.

How do you change a system when the only way to do that is via the broken system? How can you get your foot in the door? Or is a little revolution every now and then a good thing? Is that what it takes?

Which hopeless war are you referring to? The one that is basically won and done in Iraq, or the one that Obama wants us to focus on more in Afghanistan?

(Thinking out loud).....Bill Clinton had a 67 Ford Mustang convertible, Barack Obama (poll leader so far!) has a Ford Escape Hybrid. Kennedy had a lot of Ford/Lincoln/Mercs, I'd seen an early 60s Continental convertible he owned on display at Harrah's in Reno several years ago. LBJ had a 66 Lincoln convertible. (see pic, 2 of 'em and a 37 Ford)

This was reportedly Obama's grandfather's car and the car he learned to drive in. To quote Obama directly:

Nearly 100 years after William Taft drove an electric vehicle, Obama traded in his Chrysler 300C for a more fuel-efficient Ford Escape Hybrid. It makes sense that Obama owns a hybrid, since he's a big supporter of researching the best methods for alternative fuels for transportation.

What car does Bushie drive Timmmm?

stupid thread.

go to any church parking lot on sunday, full of hannity and o'riely conservatives, and you'll find more camry's than you can shake a stick at. fear mongering conservatives are also afraid of purchasing anything except the status quo, a camry.

i'm a dyed in the wool american car buyer, but i'm a liberal.

stupid thread.

stupid thread.

go to any church parking lot on sunday, full of hannity and o'riely conservatives, and you'll find more camry's than you can shake a stick at. fear mongering conservatives are also afraid of purchasing anything except the status quo, a camry.

i'm a dyed in the wool american car buyer, but i'm a liberal.

stupid thread.

Is your only defense to right-leaning people to call them fear mongering? It's a tad cliche.

Top 10 Interesting Cars of Past Presidents and Current Candidates

The list was compiled by those at Hagerty Insurance, one of the leading insurance agencies for collector vehicles in the country and one of the largest networks of collector car owners. To compile the list, Hagerty researched the personal vehicles of America’s past presidents and current candidates, then selected one car for each individual that was/is the most attention-grabbing for its’ time.

Let’s look at what they found:

1. William Taft (1909-1913): Baker Electric

Taft was the first president to own and drive cars during his presidency. One of the most interesting cars he owned was, ironically enough, “green” - a Baker Electric. This electric vehicle was especially popular with women in the era, as it did not require any cranking and was virtually maintenance-free.

2. Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945): 1939 Packard 12

In the 1920s and 30s, Packard produced some of the most beautiful and innovative cars of the era. Packard’s V-12 engine was especially smooth and provided exceptional performance in its time.

3. Harry S. Truman (1945-1953): 1945 Ford Super Deluxe Tudor Sudan

All automakers shut down their production during World War II and did not return to making passenger cars until 1946. The very first car assembled after World War II was a white Super Deluxe Tudor Sedan assembled on July 3, 1945, and it went to President Harry Truman.

4. Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961): 1956 Chrysler Imperial

The 1956 Chrysler was updated with the new 1956 “Forward Look” styling. This particular model was frequently used by President Dwight D. Eisenhower and became known as “The Detroit Car.”

5. John F. Kennedy (1960-1963): 1961 T-Bird Convertible

This was the first year for the much sleeker “Bullet Bird” styling. The Thunderbird was 1961’s Indianapolis 500 pace car and was featured prominently in U.S. President John F. Kennedy’s inaugural parade (this was probably helped along by the appointment of Ford executive Robert McNamara as Secretary of Defense).

6. Richard Nixon (1969-1974): 1950 Oldsmobile

This particular car owned by Nixon is of historic impact because it was referred to during his infamous “Checkers” speech that was said to save his candidacy for vice-president, when his honesty and loyalty were in question.

7. Ronald Reagan (1981-1989): 1952 Army Jeep, Model M-38A1

This was a gift to President Ronald Reagan from his wife Nancy and was considered highly collectible by the time he received it in the late 1970s.

8. Bill Clinton (1993-2001): 1967 Mustang Convertible

Clinton owned this Mustang as a collector car prior to and during his presidency. He has been quoted as saying that this car was the hardest thing for him to leave behind when he moved to the White House.

9. John McCain (2008 Candidate): First car: 1958 Corvette

This is considered a highly coveted collector car and was the first year for the dual front headlights, which gave the car a much more aggressive look than any earlier Corvette.

Current car: 2006 Cadillac CTS

The CTS is Cadillac’s entry-luxury sport sedan, designed to compete with the best European sport sedans. This is a mid-sized luxury car that gets respectable fuel mileage - up to 27 MPG.

(Edit: actually he or his wife owns/leases 11 cars, several are European or Japanese)

This was reportedly Obama’s grandfather’s car and the car he learned to drive in. To quote Obama directly:

“It may be the worst car that Detroit ever built…This thing was a tin can. (Detroit was) trying to compete with the Japanese. They wanted to keep the cars big, so they made them out of tin foil … You basically couldn’t go over 80 (miles per hour) without the thing getting out of control.”

(edit: he previously owned a gas guzzling Hemi powered Chrysler 300. And together with his comment on the Granada he decided to go back to a Ford :shades: )

Nearly 100 years after William Taft drove an electric vehicle, Obama traded in his Chrysler 300C for a more fuel-efficient Ford Escape Hybrid. It makes sense that Obama owns a hybrid, since he’s a big supporter of researching the best methods for alternative fuels for transportation.

Oh, yeah... That quote from Obama doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't be surprised if he never turned a wrench in his life, let alone a screwdriver!

cliche?? nick, your assertion that the war is won proves that you tow the rights line. the country doesn't even want us there.

yep, we won. that's why there are bombings there every day.

if that's winning........ :o

you can keep your cliche comments to yourself as long as you keep making them yourself. it makes you sound like a hypocrite.

cliche?? nick, your assertion that the war is won proves that you tow the rights line. the country doesn't even want us there.

yep, we won. that's why there are bombings there every day.

if that's winning........ :o

you can keep your cliche comments to yourself as long as you keep making them yourself. it makes you sound like a hypocrite.

There have been bombings there everyday since black powder was discovered. People are nuts.

But yes, we won. Removed a dictator, displaced his army, built another, and are helping rebuild the country.

They don't want us there?.. Really?... Have you asked them, because I have.

Those people were so happy to see us they were literally crying and hugging us.

Get a clue before you open your mouth.

uh, then why do they throw bombs at you?

why do they hoard their own money instead of using it for the war effort?

why should i shut my mouth because YOU say so, bucky boy?

more brain washing, and you're the proud recipient. be proud.

Edited by theripper