Alan Mulally Spanks the Senate

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent this to the Autoextremist this morning:

"Wait a minute. People are calling the Big 3 CEOs to task for flying on their corporate jets, instead of one of the commercial carriers? The same commercial carriers who themselves have become such symbols of inefficiency, ineptitude, and arrogance they make the Big 3's problems seem positively quaint? The same commercial carriers who generally can't meet the simple task of getting passenger (and luggage) from point A to B, on time - a task that has been unchanged for the last 50 years?

I can only imagine the fallout had any of the CEO's been _late_ or unprepared for the hearing due to some all-too routine commercial airline snafu.

But wait, I forgot: the airline industry is that gleaming model of union-busting "prepackaged bankruptcy" the politicos want the Big 3 to follow. Now it makes sense.

(Screw that airtravel garbage anyway, I've always preferred the drive, myself.)

Not sure if he'll print it but hey, I still stand by it. I forgot to mention that time factor too.

Say....... Isn't the government running a deficit? And what have these senators done to cut back on their expenses?

Good point. They totally messed up the economy and now the key industry can't survive in this environment so they put all th blame on big business. Well if the car industry was even at 16 million units (which means people could afford to buy cars) I don't see these companies asking the government for a loan. Don't tell me the Japanese and Korean governments had nothing to do with these companies becoming such a force here. Now their economies are better than before.

Many corporations use their own jets for security reasons and the fact that the CEO can go to th office a 6 am and take care of important business and then fly to another venue to do same. It's not like these jets exist solely for personal use. Oh by the way, would it be right to have the president and his staff fly any other way than Air Force One. Look at how oorly the country has been run but the top brass in the government still have this perk. Some of these politicians, even convicted felons are still getting pension at the expense of the tax paters. Look at the recent pay raises in congress and look at the produt they delivered.

Has anyone figured out what the cost will be to the taxpayers, in unemployment, lost taxes, health care for the uninsured, etc. if we let GM and probably Chrysler go bankrupt? Can Ford survive if GM and or Chrysler go under? Can anyone begin to quantify the cost? Is it really a lot bigger than the 25 or 50 billion they want now?

Instead of opinions and rants how about some cold hard numbers?!?!?!?

Has anyone figured out what the cost will be to the taxpayers, in unemployment, lost taxes, health care for the uninsured, etc. if we let GM and probably Chrysler go bankrupt? Can Ford survive if GM and or Chrysler go under? Can anyone begin to quantify the cost? Is it really a lot bigger than the 25 or 50 billion they want now?

Instead of opinions and rants how about some cold hard numbers?!?!?!?

The only way that Ford would survive is that if GM and Chrysler go bankrupt and things get so bad that the Congress has a change of heart and decides to help out the last remaining automaker. At least Ford can survive until January 20th and possibly Obama will put more pressure on Congress to do something. The real question is if GM will make it until then and I am afraid they might not. If GM goes bust then it will all rest on the fact if Ford can still get parts from suppliers to keep building. If Ford knew that their suppliers were stable and they could keep getting parts I don't think they would even be testifying on Capital Hill.

I get a little annoyed with BS complaints about wasting $25 billion. First, it's technically a loan. But even if it's completely lost, it's not all that much money. I mean, it's 2 months in Iraq.

However, if the whole idea is to minimize the suffering that workers will experience by one or two of D3 failing, is giving money to D3 the best way to do that?

With GM burning through $2 billion a month a $25 billion bailout will only last ~one year, even discounting for Ford and Chrysler.

D3 are projecting that car sales will be lousy until 2010-2011, so a bailout wouldn't even be an adequate stopgap measure, leading to a high likelihood that even more money will be requested by 2011. Perhaps, instead of propping up failing companies the $25b could be used to directly assist displaced workers.

I kind of see some of your point but your math is very simplistic as it relates to cash burn. The companies are going though retooling for new products as well as developmental costs fo same which is usually high at the onset. They just have to do this to come up with products that the market is demanding now. The cash burn will not be a constant amount each month. Note that these journalist don't research things and typically aren't trained in business or accounting matters, and some of them still can't get the fact that this is a loan that will be paid back. This is merely fodder for them and most don't even understand what cash burn is or if they should look at a 10Q would be totally lost.

No sir. But I bleed Maize and Blue. Let me tell you, this year there has been a hell of a lot of bleeding. Oh God the Horror of a 3-9 football season. :redcard::banghead::censored:

I'm from Indiana U. Don't be crying over here about a 3-9 football season. You guys from M.U. have no idea what a true blood letting is!!! :shades: :banghead::hysterical:

I'm from Indiana U. Don't be crying over here about a 3-9 football season. You guys from M.U. have no idea what a true blood letting is!!! :shades: :banghead::hysterical:

When was the last time the Hoosiers fielded a good football team?

Last year when Kansas was like 10-0, they had a trivia question... Name the basketball coach at Kansas the last time they were 10-0.

The answer? James Naismith.