Alan Mulally Spanks the Senate

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ABC story about corporate jets is stupid. Yea CEO's make to much money, but that is not an auto industry issue. It merely distracts from the serious issue at hand - that being what is the fairest and best solution for saving the domestic big 3.

The one Senator at the end of yesterday's hearing was railing about the fact that workers get paid 95% of their salary when the plant is idle. Wanted them to commit to changing that as a condition of getting funds! He didn't understand that this is the model for assuring job security and assuring that the unions used to assure employers carefully planned the use of their employees. Right now I am doing contract work i get paid only when i work, so i get a premium (not big enough) for that since there are times at a moments notice I won't be making money. Same if you work off commissions vs. a guaranteed salary, commissions you stand to make more but the risk is there that you won't. That is built in to the accepted wage for union members. The talk by the professor of the "burdensome" cost of firing workers thus the need for bankruptcy is another example of why some are opposing this loan when AIG was given so much more. They think workers are overpaid and want to bust the unions. Yes there were excesses and there may well be some left, but chucking so many people out of work and going back on contracts is not the way. We need to do something about this trend to bring down our country's middle class salaries to unsustainable wages paid in other countries.

Yes CEO's and someothers continue to make more while workers and the middle class are being squeezed. Ford has acted prudently and can ride this out except for the fact that GM going bankrupt could put them out of business. There is to much at stake not to take a chance at loaning 25 million. Ford has shown that the model in the long run can and will work. It is a shame that all of a sudden a couple politicians want to gut one of the remaining industries where someone can make a decent living without a college degree from the best colleges.

And the ABC story about corporate jets is designed to raise animosity towards the loan. What about the story about how its only GM on the verge of bankruptcy and how many innocents will be dragged down because of it. if they want blood can they talk about trying to figure out if GM can go into bankruptcy without destroying the industry? Nardelli made it clear that chapter 11 is pretty much impossible because of all the entities that would need to agree and of course the fact creditors probably wouldn't fund it.

Come on President Bush your party already ran against you, step in and give some of the change from the Wall Street bailout to the Big 3.

It was quite interesting seeing them get grilled. I work for a major supplier to each of these. Losing anyone of them would be a major blow to our livelihood as well as others. To say "just let them fail" has more meaning than just saying the words in anger. I also do not get the argument that they are at fault for making gas guzzlers. We buy / bought them. How is it their fault? They all offer high fuel economy models. The bottom line is when gas skyrocketed, the consumer changed their focus so fast, the automakers could not keep up. This is just my take on the whole mess. My F150 came close to getting replaced by a Focus. Glad I didnt do it now as I would have lost my butt and I actually use my truck. On top of that, all of this information getting broadcasted about them nearing bankruptcy does not inspire consumer confidence. When it is all you hear on the news that GM is about to go belly up, their showrooms turn into meeting rooms for salesmen. Who would take a chance on them right now? At least Ford has taken some action to protect itself. It will turn around as these things are cyclical. I just hope they survive and save some face while doing so.

Why aren't they making a big deal about Mulally showing up in a suit and tie?

If Ford were really in trouble, he shouldn't have enough money for decent clothes.

---

yeah, and with airlines the way they are, Mulally's going to fly commercial? Give me an ever-loving break. The guy was probably on the phone or in briefings the whole =fricking= flight. It's not like he gets on his corporate jet, slips back into the hot tub with a few playboy bunnies tips back the champagne and laughs at all the suckers flying commercial.

You tell me how you 'take a meeting' or get the kind of privacy you need to discuss confidential corporate matters on a COMMERCIAL JET.

Heck, Mulls'd probably still be in the airport after getting bumped if he flew commercial.

---

And NO way you get a midweek first class ticket from DTW to DC for $900. That'd barely buy you coach.

omg they flew in on private fucking jets....

and how do the senators get their over paid ass around?

im so pissed how GM and Chrysler's failures are hurting Ford's 2 years of trying to make it back because if GM fails then this country and Ford fail

Edited by Ford-150

I really think the auto execs need to spend a few hours just educating the Senators to auto manufacturing fundamentals. They don't seem to understand reasoning of Job Bank in first place, especially with gas prices going up and down like yo-yo because Congress can't come up with viable energy policy. How is Ford or anyone supposed to ramp up production when needed if there are no available workers sitting by phone waiting to work at moments notice.

omg they flew in on private fucking jets....

and how do the senators get their over paid ass around?

im so pissed how GM and Chrysler's failures are hurting Ford's 2 years of trying to make it back because if GM fails then this country and Ford fail

like Richard said...in order for him to adequetly acheive de-breifings etc if flying say Southwest he would odf probably had to book 10 seats for the enterage of advisors etc, that constitutes First class, so 10 or so tickets would probably equate to pretty much the same and acheive less, my bet is the Corporate jet is WAYYYYY better set up for the purpose.....something Jurasic Park, oh, I mean the Senators don't/ can't/ refuse to fathom.....

And who's going to sit up on a raised platform and lecture these overstuffed monkeys about THEIR excesses when they come around looking to raise taxes? Who's going to make them bow and scrape and efface themselves?

Mulally should have thrown it right back at them, it would have been good fun

Yeah if only Mulally would have stood up and said this:

“How dare you over priced needle dicked do nothing mother fuckers sit there and judge us. When it was you and your buddies on Wall Street that starting this whole fucking mess. Yeah in case you haven’t looked around Wall Street has managed to take the whole world with it. Good going dip shit. What the hell do you silver spoon babies know about work? Your idea of work is corn holing the fat interns in your cushy office while your addicted wife is off on shopping spree in Paris. So you know what, FUCK you and your money!!! We will just let the whole auto industry fail! But tell me with 3 million new people drawing unemployment at the same time how long do you think it would take to use up 25 Billion. I’ll give you a hint, well before you come up for re-election. Oh and you can be sure that a lot of people will be in bankruptcy court as well, you might want to get another 700 billion ready for Wall Street. Fuck you Washington….”

Then they would all turn around and tell Congress to kiss their asses.

I know it would never happen, but damned it would be entertaining.

“How dare you over priced needle dicked do nothing mother fuckers sit there and judge us. When it was you and your buddies on Wall Street that starting this whole fucking mess. Yeah in case you haven’t looked around Wall Street has managed to take the whole world with it. Good going dip shit. What the hell do you silver spoon babies know about work? Your idea of work is corn holing the fat interns in your cushy office while your addicted wife is off on shopping spree in Paris. So you know what, FUCK you and your money!!! We will just let the whole auto industry fail! But tell me with 3 million new people drawing unemployment at the same time how long do you think it would take to use up 25 Billion. I’ll give you a hint, well before you come up for re-election. Oh and you can be sure that a lot of people will be in bankruptcy court as well, you might want to get another 700 billion ready for Wall Street. Fuck you Washington….”

Did you graduate from Michigan U. ? :reading:

LOL!! But it's so true.

I like you already. :beerchug:

I'd make a comment about yours, but I don't even know what the hell it is.

So what is it?

You weren't there for the discussion over on the "mlhm5" thread?

Quite simply, it's a bit character from an episode of MST3k.

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Justice#Host_Segments

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Goosio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9HiLt1yrc

Edited by RichardJensen