Retro Ford Pinto

donzuchowski

Actually, the whole GM sidesaddle gas tank issue lost steam because of Dateline NBC.

They ran a story on it and fixed the results to try and prove there was an issue.

Dateline NBC Test

I am so glad you brought this up. I had no idea how to prove it myself. Thanks for the link.

And actually the Pinto was way ahead of it's time. At the time of it's introduction, I believe it was the only high MPG car built in the U.S. The pushrod 1.6 cross-flow 4cyl was a good motor.

Edited by DUCKRACER

I am so glad you brought this up. I had no idea how to prove it myself. Thanks for the link.

And actually the Pinto was way ahead of it's time. At the time of it's introduction, I believe it was the only high MPG car built in the U.S. The pushrod 1.6 cross-flow 4cyl was a good motor.

BTW the bottom two photos are a Maverick and Mustang II. God, I'm getting OLD!!!!

BTW the bottom two photos are a Maverick and Mustang II. God, I'm getting OLD!!!!

That's why the pics were prefaced with this statement:

"Here's some of my memories of Pintos, Mavericks, etc."

:shades:

And as far as the name goes, I still think that "Pinto" is still salvageable as long as it was attached to a good vehicle.

In response to Nick's earlier comment above, I don't think that citing a name ("Edsel") that *totally* sucked on its own merits, as well as the fact that people don't name their children with the same name of one of the world's largest mass murderers falls in the same category.

But that's just my opinion.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

That's why the pics were prefaced with this statement:

"Here's some of my memories of Pintos, Mavericks, etc."

:shades:

And as far as the name goes, I still think that "Pinto" is still salvageable as long as it was attached to a good vehicle.

In response to Nick's earlier comment above, I don't think that citing a name ("Edsel") that *totally* sucked on its own merits, as well as the fact that people don't name their children with the same name of one of the world's largest mass murderers falls in the same category.

-Ovaltine

Sorry Ovaltine. Sometimes I just look at the pictures...

-Ovaltine

Yes, perhaps I was using rather extreme examples, but the point is the same. "Pinto" is trans-generational in its reputation for suckage.

• 1 month later...
No. It's still crazy. It would be like reviving "Edsel". Even after generations, some names still carry a stigma. Why do you think Adolf still isn't a very popular name?

there was a couple who just named their kid Adolf Hitler, of course the court stepped in and took the child away. Guess i cant name my next kid George W Bush.

I'd much rather see the Maverick name come back than the Pinto. My parents had both at one time. I'd still take the Maverick over the Pinto.

But on the other hand, that new car show above does scream "Pinto Bean". But hey, I like it!

how about they merge the pinto and the maverick together into one retro design? a mavpint? can someone do a retro pinto and a retro mavpint?maverick.jpg

also i think ford should replace jaguar with Edsel since their is no jag now in fords lineup, and merge lincoln/mercury into Linmer. it makes no sense to have your high end product next to your low end mercury which is just a rebadged ford, and yes lincoln is just a rebadged mercury and ford with very little difference. I say heck merge ford mercury and lincoln into FoMerLin and only sell from that one line.... less marketing more profits.

how about they merge the pinto and the maverick together into one retro design? a mavpint? can someone do a retro pinto and a retro mavpint?maverick.jpg

also i think ford should replace jaguar with Edsel since their is no jag now in fords lineup, and merge lincoln/mercury into Linmer. it makes no sense to have your high end product next to your low end mercury which is just a rebadged ford, and yes lincoln is just a rebadged mercury and ford with very little difference. I say heck merge ford mercury and lincoln into FoMerLin and only sell from that one line.... less marketing more profits.

Edsel? Linmer? What the hell are you smoking? Whatever it is, please stop smoking it before visiting here.

Back in the mid 70's I owned a 72 Pinto that gave me a fair amount of success in the 6 cyl. class at the local dragstrip. There was no 4 cyl. class. With less than 100 dollars of cheap modifications I could beat pretty much any 6 cyl. Chrysler product like Darts and Dusters. I couldn't do much against a Nova tho. It was pretty much bullet proof too..

My Dad had a 75 Pinto wagon, Squire edition no less, that was sort of beat up so we used it to haul firewood. We pushed our luck however and the tranny puked on it one day. Too much weight I guess. Both these cars gave us some good miles tho.

Last I checked, George W Bush wasn't responsible for the genocide of millions.

no, but i am a hugh george w bush fan, i think he is up their with washington regan, lincoln.... There are alot of liberal people who think george w bush is Adolph Hitler. If someone wants to name their kid Adolph Hitler or Tulla does the hula http://www.topix.com/forum/nz/wellington/TKRLP6MFTVINIGQIM

wha tif i or you wanted to name our kid Ford Pinto, GMC Acidia, or even abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz?

I learned to drive a stick in a '72 Pinto Runabout, Ginger Glow with a brown interior. Good times.

I miss the days when carmakers gave colors names like "Ginger Glow."

My friend's family bought a brand-new 1972 Runabout in a pale, light green metallic (Mary Ann Green?!). It was very well equipped for the time - I believe it even had air conditioning.

They later traded it for a dark blue 1977 Runabout with the all-glass hatch, plaid interior and V-6 engine. Not a bad car, but the Pinto was showing its age by then.

Two years later his dad traded that Pinto for a white 1979 Mustang hatchback with the V-8 and almost every available option.

The amusing part is that the Pintos and Mustang were for his mother - a 60-something head librarian at the local state university! The Mustang even had blackwall tires and alloy wheels!

So, I guess for some people, the 1970s did get better as the decade progressed.

We suffered with a 1973 AMC Gremlin (bright red), which had a floor-mounted automatic transmission, bench seat and 258 I-6.

The truly frightening part is that the Gremlin was probably the best all-around American subcompact during the first half of the 1970s. My aunt's 1977 silver Pinto coupe died at about 77,000 miles (an inherent defect ruined the engine, if I recall correctly), while our neighbor's 1975 Vega hatchback (in a horrific pale yellow color) had huge rust spots eating through the paint within two years.

Ah, the 1970s...

Edited by grbeck

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I thought since Ford had Volvo this was the reincarnation of the pinto, and very well priced too...

i still think mercury should be renamed Pinto and have only RWD small and mid sized cars with hybrid and alternate power sources.... and do a modern pinto....

Sup,

Just so I can get this straight, you wanna take the most maligned Ford product name, reinvent it as a Mercury?. Why not just call it Edsel, that way no one at all would buy it. I think they need to keep work toward Mercury becoming a small premium car group.

Skape

• 4 weeks later...
Sup,

Just so I can get this straight, you wanna take the most maligned Ford product name, reinvent it as a Mercury?. Why not just call it Edsel, that way no one at all would buy it. I think they need to keep work toward Mercury becoming a small premium car group.

Skape

yep... Ford can be renamed edsel......

pinto?...lmao...yeah thats a bright idea...i do strongly urge ford to produce a new pinto..oh the fun i could have with that...100% chance it will never happen...course detroit has surprised many like me before..i'll bet 99 bux on "no" and hedge my bet on the 10,000 to 1 odd marker "yes" it does...cant lose

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, the Pinto... They were fun little cars. I had a powder blue 71 sedan (it had a trunk rather than the hatch) that I bought for $100 back in '84. It was a automatic with a worn out 2.0 in front of it. I had to add 90w to the engine to keep the compression up! I sold it to a guy where I worked at the time whose V8 Mustang II had been t-boned. A short time later my old Pinto was sporting a V8!

A buddy of mine had a couple of them when we were in high school. One of his was the meat in an three-way. He was hit hard from behind by a Plymouth Satellite. He was able to drive it home, while the huge Plymouth had to be towed.

While I had some positive experiences with them, some car names just need to stay dead.

Edited by Mustang_Marty

• 2 weeks later...

The heavy weight oil reminds me of my brother's '67 BelAir with a 250c.i. I-6. We poured 50 or 60 weight straight right into the engine to keep it from pumping back up through the dipstaick. It had over 150,000 and still always started and ran strong, even with the slip and slide PowerGlide 2-speed tranny. Never was in a Pinto and never saw one personally burn. saw film of it on the news. Rode in a Vega with an automatic. Took forever to keep up with traffic and that plastic dash was just a lovely sight.