2009 Explorer XLT Sport

I came across this at the Explorer site - http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorer/gallery

Is this a new option? I like it. While I'm not huge fan of huge wheels, I think these wheels give the Explorer a more aggressive appearance.

I'd really like to buy an Explorer, but apparantly the 4wd models are all full time 4wd/awd, with no option to run in 2wd for the times I want to drive like a hoon.

post-34670-1227551578_thumb.jpg

I came across this at the Explorer site - http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorer/gallery

Is this a new option? I like it. While I'm not huge fan of huge wheels, I think these wheels give the Explorer a more aggressive appearance.

I'd really like to buy an Explorer, but apparantly the 4wd models are all full time 4wd/awd, with no option to run in 2wd for the times I want to drive like a hoon.

I have seen this model at Bill Brown Ford over two months ago or so. On sticker is Sports Appearance option and picture is what you get. It is attractive option. I forget the price of option. The vehicle looks pretty sharp.

Nope, not an Ironman. It's missing the wheel lip moldings with the polished "rivets", and a few other cues.

Not sure about the package, but it kinda looks like the Sport Trac Adrenaline.

It's the Adrenalin's wheels, black grille and headlights:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/sporttrac...amp;nTrimID=844

I was going to add that they are the Adrenalin's wheels.

I like it, it dresses up the XLT nicely....and sort of off topic, but I'm glad to see Ford moving away from the black plastic molding (on lower models) around the entire bottom of their SUVs (Expy/Explorer).

Edited by rmc523

Well the new Sport model is 2WD only but you can at least get the V8. They also don't let you have leather seats or the Navi if you opt for that package. I like it, but no 4WD and no navi (only to replace the horrible brick radio) kills it for me.

For those who think the Explorer still has a 2WD mode I can tell you that our '06 4WD XLT (not AWD) has 4WD Auto, 4WD Hi, and 4WD Lo settings and that's it. You can disable the TC and stability control for a short period of time which may shut the 4WD off too, but I'm not positive of that.

Well the new Sport model is 2WD only but you can at least get the V8. They also don't let you have leather seats or the Navi if you opt for that package. I like it, but no 4WD and no navi (only to replace the horrible brick radio) kills it for me.

For those who think the Explorer still has a 2WD mode I can tell you that our '06 4WD XLT (not AWD) has 4WD Auto, 4WD Hi, and 4WD Lo settings and that's it. You can disable the TC and stability control for a short period of time which may shut the 4WD off too, but I'm not positive of that.

vehicle operates in 2wd when in the auto setting until it senses rear tyres slipping, then seamlessly converts to 4wd, in 4wd hi electronic transfer case is locked for full time 4wd, 4wd low basically is also full time but in a granny gear....

Dean is correct. I don't know why they don't call it "AWD--most of the time." :banghead:

vehicle operates in 2wd when in the auto setting until it senses rear tyres slipping, then seamlessly converts to 4wd, in 4wd hi electronic transfer case is locked for full time 4wd, 4wd low basically is also full time but in a granny gear....

Dean is correct. I don't know why they don't call it "AWD--most of the time." :banghead:

actually, at one stage Ford in their infinite wisdom ALSO had a full time 4wd system labelled exactly that...AWD....why??? beyond me, I also recall it was V8 engines only as well....

Exactly. However the OP wanted a 2WD only mode for which you can't do with the 4WD or AWD models.

I think it still is only AWD. The Explorer and Sport Trac can both be had with either 4WD or AWD, the latter's Adrenaline package can only be had with AWD. They no longer limit AWD to the V8 either.

don't forget the requirement of 20 inch wheels if one desires AWD...figure THAT one out........