Where's the Bronco

94bronco

it will come when Chrysler goes belly up and Ford snaps up Jeep.....

The big three supposedly have been building gigantic fuel gargling monstrosities because that's what consumers wanted...WHATEVER!!! They built enormous turd pile SUV's because as 94Bronco aptly put...it costs practically nothing to build. The Bronco concept based upon the Fiesta would have been an insurmountable hit. There is a huge market for small, fuel efficient, 2 door cute yute that looks more capable than it really is. I have been waiting on just such a vehicle to be built. It is the only thing that will get me into a Ford dealership on my own free will.

A Bronco based upon the T6 pickup, Fiesta, or even the upcoming explorer would be a welcome change of pace from the only option that's out there. The only reason there is no market for a 2 door SUV is because there's only ONE vehicle on the market. There is NO market because there are NO products available. Most of us are here because we don't want a Wrangler. We want a BRONCO. BUILD IT!!!

Edited by leadphinger

The big three supposedly have been building gigantic fuel gargling monstrosities because that's what consumers wanted...WHATEVER!!! They built enormous turd pile SUV's because as 94Bronco aptly put...it costs practically nothing to build. The Bronco concept based upon the Fiesta would have been an insurmountable hit. There is a huge market for small, fuel efficient, 2 door cute yute that looks more capable than it really is. I have been waiting on just such a vehicle to be built. It is the only thing that will get me into a Ford dealership on my own free will.

A Bronco based upon the T6 pickup, Fiesta, or even the upcoming explorer would be a welcome change of pace from the only option that's out there. The only reason there is no market for a 2 door SUV is because there's only ONE vehicle on the market. There is NO market because there are NO products available. Most of us are here because we don't want a Wrangler. We want a BRONCO. BUILD IT!!!

Pheeewww! I smell TROLL!!!!

Pheeewww! I smell TROLL!!!!

Sorry for the :rant: I'm just expressing an opinion...passionately, I admit. But I'm serious about wanting a new bronco styled closely to that of the 2004 concept. I apologize if it sounds like I'm stirring the pot. I loved the concept and wanted one in 2004 and I want one now. I could buy a jeep wrangler but i have been waiting for the bronco ever since I saw the concept. Crazy, I know but I buy a car once every 10 years and don't mind being patient. The way I see it, its my money and I know exactly what I want. For me, that's the bronco concept. It'll probably never be built but a boy can dream.

Edited by leadphinger

I have been wanting a Small off road capable 4x4 along the lines of the Original Bronco for back woods fishing etc for a while now. I did not want a jeep been there done that never again We had a 92 YJ years ago and it was a POS from the word go. Plus it was just ok off road. The Excursion surprisingly is a very very capable off road vehicle (with the terrain we have here) even with it's size it will go places you would never even think remotely possible. Honestly it is better than the jeep was.

I have had the truck sunk in holes near 4 ft deep and it pulled right on through you do not have much choice as with it's size you can not go around them and just have to plow on in and claw your way through. Where the Excursion is handicapped is in tight locations you just do not have the maneuverability you can not you pick you your way around the crappy spots. And I have a few mountain fishing spots that the Excursion just could not get in to due to it's weight and some rather light weight bush built bridges.

I do own a quad but some times it is nice to jump in and go with out having to load up a pile of crap other than the fishing gear food and beer.

I gave up on waiting for Ford to build a small off road capable Bronco.

SO I finally picked up a road legal 4x4 that is small, nimble , Fuel efficient, it was built in Canada, is full body on frame, a 4 door (sort of) removable roof & doors and fold down windshield. It will easily cruise along at 80MPH Has a full Independent suspension with leaf springs no less (transverse mounted leafs) Full skid plating, Part time 4wd with selectable full locking differentials , Will float (if equipped), will go pretty near any where, is built like a tank, is ugly as sin, and was dirt cheap.

What did I get ?

A Bombardier Iltis

Ya I know 95% of you are asking WTF is that.

The Iltis is what replaced the M151 (Mutt) 1/4 ton Jeep in the Canadian Forces. and is a far more capable off road vehicle than the m38 and M151 jeeps ever were.

The Iltis was originally designed by AUDI for Volkswagen. The Audi Quattro's Drive line grew from the Iltis's drive line basically they just added a fluid Coupling to the Iltis drive line for the Audi Quattro. Despite one thinking it would be complex it is actually dirt simple.

The Iltis was used by the German Army as their 1/4 ton Utility vehicle taking orders from Volkswagen from 1978 to 1983 Volkswagen also offered a civilian version.

In 1984 all the rights for the vehicle were sold to Bombardier who built them for the Canadian Military the Belgians and Cameroon from 1984 to 1988.

The Bombardier Iltis uses all M Series Military, Volkswagen/ Audi/ and Porsche parts(excepting the body and some suspension bits).

The Iltis's were surplussed off from the Canadian Military starting in 2006 after it was realized the thin skinned Iltis was wholly unsuitable for the duties required of it in Afghanistan. The Iltis was replaced with the amoured Mercedes G wagon in CF use.

The Iltis was fitted with either the 1.7L Gasoline Rabbit engine or the 1.6L Volkswagen Diesel.

People have swapped in to the Iltis the 2.0L GTI motor and the 1.9L TDI Volkswagen Diesel both of which are drop in's with some wiring.

The Bombardier Iltis was built in a the following configurations. Standard ,Ambulance,Command, Tailgate, Linesman, and Tow Missile.

I picked up a Command unit that had a matching M101CDN trailer.

My unit was supposedly used by the CF base commander in Germany in the 1980's.

I do not have any decent pics of my unit handy bu will post some pics of a couple others so you all get an idea what the hell i'm talking about.

Also if you search Iltis on You Tube there are a pile of video's of them in action in private hands.

CF Tow Missile Iltis in Afghanistan

post-13563-1262956647_thumb.jpg

Restored in to Desert Camo

post-13563-1262956693_thumb.jpg

Restored EU theater Camo (note M101CND trailer in back Ground

post-13563-1262956712_thumb.jpg

My Iltis Back end Upon Purchase.

post-13563-1262956671_thumb.jpg

Yup I got a new toy lol.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

I finally picked up a road legal 4x4 that is small, nimble , Fuel efficient, it was built in Canada, is full body on frame, a 4 door (sort of) removable roof & doors and fold down windshield. It will easily cruise along at 80MPH Has a full Independent suspension with leaf springs no less (transverse mounted leafs) Full skid plating, Part time 4wd with selectable full locking differentials , Will float (if equipped), will go pretty near any where, is built like a tank, is ugly as sin, and was dirt cheap.

Matthew

Wow! That would be a perfect alternative were it not for the ugly as sin part. Is there a civilian version available with creature comforts like a roof and metal doors?

Wow! That would be a perfect alternative were it not for the ugly as sin part. Is there a civilian version available with creature comforts like a roof and metal doors?

There was a civilian version sold in Germany but they are pretty scarce. It had a hrd top and hard doors configured as a 2 door. When new it retailed in Germany for $24,000 USD a copy back in 1980 so not many were sold.

The Bombardier Versions cost the tax payers $84,000.... a copy in 1984. Some guys have built hard tops for them and skined the metal frames of the fabric doors with metal.

I drove mine back to Edmonton from 100 mile house B.C in -20C weather and did not freeze in it the heater puts out serious amounts of heat. Around town you have no worries about being cold even at -20C even with the fabric roof and doors.

It is more of a summer vehcile for me but there are guys that drive them all year round. For summer driving the doors will come off and be stored in their storage bag that then straps to the hood if I'm going for any length of time. The roof folds down or can be removed completly.

There are 2 huge water tight storage compartments under hood the rear seats fold down or fold down and flip forward to give you a decent sized load bed.

It is a pretty cool rig even if it is not the most attractive. Best part they are dirt cheap to buy.

Matthew

It is a pretty cool rig even if it is not the most attractive. Best part they are dirt cheap to buy.

That certainly is a sweet little rig. I think I'm going to wait for the Hummer HX...despite it being a GM product, it may be worth owning. It all depends on how the spec the thing out. If it comes with the direct injected 3.6 they put in the caddy and camero it can't be too much of a slouch. I sort of like the styling...and it would be something I could live with on a daily basis.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if two door SUV's aren't profitable why's hummer going to build one? Considering their economic position I can't imagine the govt' letting them build something that won't make money. Sorry to be such a skeptic but I had the dubious honor of working in PR for GM around the same time that the Camero was being killed off. Those in the know realize the F-body was pulled because it earned the distinction of being the deadliest car ever produced (meaning more people were killed in it than any other vehicle built per units sold) as reported by MotorTrend. The public was told the economic climate wasn't right for high powered, front engine, rwd cars.

I speculate, the real reason for not building the bronco has more to do with corporate politics than market conditions. :stirpot:

As I was saying...

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gall...Params=Itemnr=3

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gall...9998&Ref=PH

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100112/DETROIT/100119973

So besides the Wrangler there will soon be a Hummer HX, Nissan Juke, Mini Traveler, and an apparent GMC offering. Again, where's the bronco? I may bleed Ford blue but I'm getting mighty distracted and impatient.

The only one you can see is the Juke which is a crossover.

Look, nobody is going to build a Bronco on a cut-down truck frame. Not going to happen. There is just not market for little 2-door off-roaders. The Wrangler is riding heavily on the unlimited version right now. You'd have to count on a 4-door version. Now you have a little unit body 4-door. Oh wait, Ford already builds the Escape. How about a two-door escape with a lift and havy-duty off-road components. Call it the Bronco and be done with it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just wish Ford would grow some balls and make a midsize bronco to fight the jeep! Maybe somewhere between the Full-size bronco, and the bronco 2. Jeep is the only real manufacturer that's REALLY catering to the off-road crowd, and the bronco is the perfect vehicle to kicks its punk ass.

With Ford concentrating on the whole shared platform and One Ford concepts I don't think we will see any real off-road SUVs unless they decide to build a smaller truck like the defunct F100. Sooner or later tightening CAFE standards might force them to. That would give them a narrow chassis that could be shortened into something closer to the original Bronco in size. Even a shortened version of the current F150 chassis would be too big (wide) IMO. The Raptor makes a good desert racer but even a shorter wheelbase version would still be too big to compete with real off-road vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler. Ford doesn't seem to have a problem building low volume niche vehicles as long as they share a platform with higher volume vehicles. The Flex is a good example of that. Had they kept the Ranger and Bronco II/Explorer on the same platform like they were throughout the 80s and early 90s both might have been updated more often instead of being left to rot on the vine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd write a check out for one the day they hit the dealer.

Not to pick you RaZor specifically, but as a very broad brush stroke...

it is easy to say this, and not so easy to follow through...

I can't even begine to fathom the amount of people that say this but never actually follow through when it happens...

No offense RaZor.

• 3 months later...

i want a full size 2012 f150 based bronco fx4 with 6 speed auto trans, the 6.2L boss engine, e locker in the rear, 17's w/ 35's from the factory and a 3.73 rear end.

interior needs a column shifter and captains chairs in the front & nice big bench seat in the back. roll down rear window into the tailgate and removal rear top.

IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA YEA I KNOW IT IS BUT I CAN STILL DREAM THAT FORD WILL MAKE A MODERN FULL SIZE BRONCO.

• 5 months later...

The Bombi IIltis is quite the little rig!

Joe

I have been wanting a Small off road capable 4x4 along the lines of the Original Bronco for back woods fishing etc for a while now. I did not want a jeep been there done that never again We had a 92 YJ years ago and it was a POS from the word go. Plus it was just ok off road. The Excursion surprisingly is a very very capable off road vehicle (with the terrain we have here) even with it's size it will go places you would never even think remotely possible. Honestly it is better than the jeep was.

I have had the truck sunk in holes near 4 ft deep and it pulled right on through you do not have much choice as with it's size you can not go around them and just have to plow on in and claw your way through. Where the Excursion is handicapped is in tight locations you just do not have the maneuverability you can not you pick you your way around the crappy spots. And I have a few mountain fishing spots that the Excursion just could not get in to due to it's weight and some rather light weight bush built bridges.

I do own a quad but some times it is nice to jump in and go with out having to load up a pile of crap other than the fishing gear food and beer.

I gave up on waiting for Ford to build a small off road capable Bronco.

SO I finally picked up a road legal 4x4 that is small, nimble , Fuel efficient, it was built in Canada, is full body on frame, a 4 door (sort of) removable roof & doors and fold down windshield. It will easily cruise along at 80MPH Has a full Independent suspension with leaf springs no less (transverse mounted leafs) Full skid plating, Part time 4wd with selectable full locking differentials , Will float (if equipped), will go pretty near any where, is built like a tank, is ugly as sin, and was dirt cheap.

What did I get ?

A Bombardier Iltis

Ya I know 95% of you are asking WTF is that.

The Iltis is what replaced the M151 (Mutt) 1/4 ton Jeep in the Canadian Forces. and is a far more capable off road vehicle than the m38 and M151 jeeps ever were.

The Iltis was originally designed by AUDI for Volkswagen. The Audi Quattro's Drive line grew from the Iltis's drive line basically they just added a fluid Coupling to the Iltis drive line for the Audi Quattro. Despite one thinking it would be complex it is actually dirt simple.

The Iltis was used by the German Army as their 1/4 ton Utility vehicle taking orders from Volkswagen from 1978 to 1983 Volkswagen also offered a civilian version.

In 1984 all the rights for the vehicle were sold to Bombardier who built them for the Canadian Military the Belgians and Cameroon from 1984 to 1988.

The Bombardier Iltis uses all M Series Military, Volkswagen/ Audi/ and Porsche parts(excepting the body and some suspension bits).

The Iltis's were surplussed off from the Canadian Military starting in 2006 after it was realized the thin skinned Iltis was wholly unsuitable for the duties required of it in Afghanistan. The Iltis was replaced with the amoured Mercedes G wagon in CF use.

The Iltis was fitted with either the 1.7L Gasoline Rabbit engine or the 1.6L Volkswagen Diesel.

People have swapped in to the Iltis the 2.0L GTI motor and the 1.9L TDI Volkswagen Diesel both of which are drop in's with some wiring.

The Bombardier Iltis was built in a the following configurations. Standard ,Ambulance,Command, Tailgate, Linesman, and Tow Missile.

I picked up a Command unit that had a matching M101CDN trailer.

My unit was supposedly used by the CF base commander in Germany in the 1980's.

I do not have any decent pics of my unit handy bu will post some pics of a couple others so you all get an idea what the hell i'm talking about.

Also if you search Iltis on You Tube there are a pile of video's of them in action in private hands.

CF Tow Missile Iltis in Afghanistan

post-13563-1262956647_thumb.jpg

Restored in to Desert Camo

post-13563-1262956693_thumb.jpg

Restored EU theater Camo (note M101CND trailer in back Ground

post-13563-1262956712_thumb.jpg

My Iltis Back end Upon Purchase.

post-13563-1262956671_thumb.jpg

Yup I got a new toy lol.

Matthew