I test drove a Flex.

DUCKRACER

Maybe I just got a bad example, but when I drove it, there seemed to be a little too much transmission noise.

Has ony one else noticed this?

Otherwise the car was wonderful. Comfortable seats, plenty of room. The power was adequate, so I imagine that the EcoBoost version will ge a 4,500lb rocket!

Maybe I just got a bad example, but when I drove it, there seemed to be a little too much transmission noise.

Otherwise the car was wonderful. Comfortable seats, plenty of room. The power was adequate, so I imagine that the EcoBoost version will ge a 4,500lb rocket!

Must have been a bad example...ours is quite still after 5500 miles.

====

I agree, it must've been a bad example, because mine is very quiet.

I can't wait to see how the EcoBoost model drives....don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my "normal" Flex, but that EB motor would've been fun (I assume).

Thanks, guys. When it comes time about a year from now to really decide if I am going to buy one, I will test drive another Flex. But I am still deciding b/w a Flex, 2010 I4 Fusion, 2010 Edge or a 2010 F-150 w/EcoBoost. Just depends on the price of gas and the economy as well as whether I am still employed then.....

We have already been furloughed two fridays a month and suffered a 10% pay cut.

Thanks again, guys.

Edited by DUCKRACER

I think that Ford products has more transmission noise than any other company. :reading:

When you say transmission noise, you mean noise inside the cabin that is obviously transmission related (gear shifting, etc) or what? I don't really notice this on my Flex.

Edited by rmc523

When you say transmission noise, you mean noise inside the cabin that is obviously transmission related (gear shifting, etc) or what? I don't really notice this on my Flex.

It was the first Flex I have driven and only for a few miles on surface streets. It was an impression I had while driving it. And I was listening for any little thing. It wasn't a shifting sound. It was almost as if some sound deadening insulation had been left out. I am sure that the trans was working fine. I did give it full throttle for a burst and there was no excess noise from the motor.

It is still on my list of Fords I may buy. I will test drive all I am considering before I decide.

I am encouraged by the fact that no actual Flex owners have had a problem.

It was the first Flex I have driven and only for a few miles on surface streets. It was an impression I had while driving it. And I was listening for any little thing. It wasn't a shifting sound. It was almost as if some sound deadening insulation had been left out. I am sure that the trans was working fine. I did give it full throttle for a burst and there was no excess noise from the motor.

It is still on my list of Fords I may buy. I will test drive all I am considering before I decide.

That's interesting....I wonder what it is (the actual reason)?

Have you driven another one to see if it makes the same noise?

Edited by rmc523

That's interesting....I wonder what it is (the actual reason)?

Have you driven another one to see if it makes the same noise?

No, but I will definitely test drive one again before I buy, but I want an EB Flex and they don't have them in yet so I will wait until I am really serious about buying, which may be March or April of 2010.

No, but I will definitely test drive one again before I buy, but I want an EB Flex and they don't have them in yet so I will wait until I am really serious about buying, which may be March or April of 2010.

Gotcha.....and definitely let us know how the EB Flex drives, unless I drive one first :P

Gotcha.....and definitely let us know how the EB Flex drives, unless I drive one first :P

That's a deal.

However, I recently read here in BON a long article about the new transmission the EB Flex will get. It will be beefier so the whole issue may be moot since the EB Flex will have a completely new transmission.

Here it is.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=30259

Did you see 25 MPG hiway with AWD!!!!!

Edited by DUCKRACER

That's a deal.

However, I recently read here in BON a long article about the new transmission the EB Flex will get. It will be beefier so the whole issue may be moot since the EB Flex will have a completely new transmission.

Here it is.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=30259

Did you see 25 MPG hiway with AWD!!!!!

The 25 mpg figure was for the MKS. EB Flex mileage should be about the same as the regular AWD model, at least according to Ford's EB article from a while back (which I don't feel like looking for right now).

The 25 mpg figure was for the MKS. EB Flex mileage should be about the same as the regular AWD model, at least according to Ford's EB article from a while back (which I don't feel like looking for right now).

You know, I just assumed it woud be the MPG for the Flex, but I was wondering if it would be differen in another vehicle. We won't know for sure until they come out.

Don't take this personally, but I hope you are wrong.

You know, I just assumed it woud be the MPG for the Flex, but I was wondering if it would be differen in another vehicle. We won't know for sure until they come out.

Don't take this personally, but I hope you are wrong.

25 would be nice, but I'm pretty sure the press release said 22 mpg hwy for Flex w/ EB. Actually, I'm happy with that number and it being the same as the regular model, as you get an extra 90 hp to go along with the same mileage. The lower figure for Flex is likely due to weight or something.

25 would be nice, but I'm pretty sure the press release said 22 mpg hwy for Flex w/ EB. Actually, I'm happy with that number and it being the same as the regular model, as you get an extra 90 hp to go along with the same mileage. The lower figure for Flex is likely due to weight or something.

You know what's funny is that our '09 Escape V6 4WD is rated at 22 hwy, as is the 4WD 09Edge and the 4WD 09Flex. Yet our Escape easily inidcates 25 MPG or more with a smooth, steady foot on the gas pedal.

Edited by DUCKRACER

You know what's funny is that our '09 Escape V6 4WD is rated at 22 hwy, as is the 4WD 09Edge and the 4WD 09Flex. Yet our Escape easily inidcates 25 MPG or more with a smooth, steady foot on the gas pedal.

Just goes to further the thought that it's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed the same thing (only after reading your post.....thanks). I will have to get it checked out. otherwise the thing rocks....got the 20 inch rims---they are huge

It does sound as if some sound deadening isulation has been left out. You really have to be listening for it. My wife thinks I'm nuts...but I can hear it. You have to try to hear it...turn off the radio and climate and listen. There is nothing wrong with the tranny...it is very very smooth.....

It does sound as if some sound deadening isulation has been left out. You really have to be listening for it. My wife thinks I'm nuts...but I can hear it. You have to try to hear it...turn off the radio and climate and listen. There is nothing wrong with the tranny...it is very very smooth.....

Maybe you can get to drive another Flex or two. Have you asked your Ford dealer about it?

Good Luck.