ford unveils new transmission

So maybe the EcoBoost option will cost a little more than $700???

Well, I could see it as being a smaller step in price on the MKS and Flex than it is on the Taurus, since there will probably be less bundled in the package on the pricier vehicles. Hard to say what you are really paying for the EcoBoost itself.

Well, I could see it as being a smaller step in price on the MKS and Flex than it is on the Taurus, since there will probably be less bundled in the package on the pricier vehicles. Hard to say what you are really paying for the EcoBoost itself.

I'll price compare a Limited AWD Taurus with a SHO..........

I'm just curious on why they didn't beef up the tranny's from day one. They obviously know weak points, so why not build a bullet proof tranny from the get go. It would cut down on warranty cost and make customers have more confidence knowing their tranny will hold up to anything. Most Ford BS I hear today is about f**ked up trannys their relatives had in Explorers, Taurus' & T birds. If they would have overkilled the tranny's the first time there would be many more return customers.

Just look at todays Torqueshift tranny in the SD. Many of us are throwing programmers on the trucks making 500hp & 1150lb/ft and have had ZERO tranny issues. Ford knew folks would be throwing big loads and "probally" tuning the motors and gave the tranny extra Balls to handle the power. The Torqueshifts are now known as a better tranny than the Allison because of this. The Allison goes into limp mode when any power over stock gets thrown at it.

I'm just curious on why they didn't beef up the tranny's from day one. They obviously know weak points, so why not build a bullet proof tranny from the get go. It would cut down on warranty cost and make customers have more confidence knowing their tranny will hold up to anything. Most Ford BS I hear today is about f**ked up trannys their relatives had in Explorers, Taurus' & T birds. If they would have overkilled the tranny's the first time there would be many more return customers.

Just look at todays Torqueshift tranny in the SD. Many of us are throwing programmers on the trucks making 500hp & 1150lb/ft and have had ZERO tranny issues. Ford knew folks would be throwing big loads and "probally" tuning the motors and gave the tranny extra Balls to handle the power. The Torqueshifts are now known as a better tranny than the Allison because of this. The Allison goes into limp mode when any power over stock gets thrown at it.

probably totally un-necessary...and possibly also weighs more....so far so good on the "regular" 3.5 trannies...so why add extra cost/ weight....

I agree with Hydro...I mean... "The ring gear on the 6F-55, for instance, is a beefier 41.5 mm versus 31.5 mm on the 6F-50."

Thats pretty sad that thats the main difference...you would think they could design it heavy duty from the start...whats that, a few pennies worth of metal they saved??

I agree with Hydro...I mean... "The ring gear on the 6F-55, for instance, is a beefier 41.5 mm versus 31.5 mm on the 6F-50."

Thats pretty sad that thats the main difference...you would think they could design it heavy duty from the start...whats that, a few pennies worth of metal they saved??

When you are producing thousands upon thousands of transmissions, it adds up.

ok...so lets put the torqueshift from the Superduties in the f-150....hey, its only money and weight....

ok...so lets put the torqueshift from the Superduties in the f-150....hey, its only money and weight....

Might as well add it to the Mustang as well while we're at it. What the heck, the Ranger needs a rear-drive tranny too!

And put this 6F-55 in the Fiesta too.

You have to stop some where. No sense in building a tranny to withstand 1000 ft-lbs if it is only going to see 150 in production use.

(this isn't directed at you Dean as it may seem...I'm agreeing with you and building on your point)

Might as well add it to the Mustang as well while we're at it. What the heck, the Ranger needs a rear-drive tranny too!

And put this 6F-55 in the Fiesta too.

You have to stop some where. No sense in building a tranny to withstand 1000 ft-lbs if it is only going to see 150 in production use.

(this isn't directed at you Dean as it may seem...I'm agreeing with you and building on your point)

my point eggs zackery!......transmissions are purpose built...and go thru durability testing.....there has been ZERO issues with the regular trans in the tauru/ Flex/ Edge 3.5 application...it is a classic "why fix what is NOT broken"issue..........next up...why isn't the SHO engine in ALL 3.5 application if it gets the same mileage...

Edited by Deanh

It would solve the Expeditions tranny woes :ohsnap: , and yes. I'm all for throwing the Torqueshift into the Mustang. I want a rock crusher that will handle my aftermarket goodies :devil:

It would solve the Expeditions tranny woes :ohsnap: , and yes. I'm all for throwing the Torqueshift into the Mustang. I want a rock crusher that will handle my aftermarket goodies :devil:

its a bolt on...........( snicker ).......what year is the Expy...been no issues w the 6 speed that i have witnessed, and i walk heavy line pretty much daily.......

its a bolt on...........( snicker ).......what year is the Expy...been no issues w the 6 speed that i have witnessed, and i walk heavy line pretty much daily.......

Not my Expy. A friend at work has an 07 with a slipping forgetful tranny. Then I ventured over to our F-150/expy forum here, and it seems to be a pretty common issue. I haven't bothered going to other sites to verify.

Not my Expy. A friend at work has an 07 with a slipping forgetful tranny. Then I ventured over to our F-150/expy forum here, and it seems to be a pretty common issue. I haven't bothered going to other sites to verify.

sorry to hear...I remember an issue Ford had with "adaptive" trannies, if there was two different types of drivers it created all sorts of issues....

I'm just curious on why they didn't beef up the tranny's from day one. They obviously know weak points, so why not build a bullet proof tranny from the get go.

The range of intended engines.

The 6F50 was a joint Venture with GM, I think the brief was for a transmission that

could deliver 280 lb ft of torque, a good limit for Duratec 37 and Cadillac's DI 3.6.

sorry to hear...I remember an issue Ford had with "adaptive" trannies, if there was two different types of drivers it created all sorts of issues....

Like the one in my Sport Trac? I sure as hell hope they are not using the same trans in the 09 F150. Not cool coming to a stop and having the transmission decide "Oh shit, I forgot to downshift into 1st gear. Better do it now so my owner can get rolling again". BLAM! Feels like the tailgate just got center punched by a bull moose. Yeah, that'll attract repeat buyers. :rolleyes:

5R55E vs 6R.

Two completely different animals.

Look at it this way, one is a decendent of the A4LD, the other is a very distant decendent of the AOD.

However, adaptive trannies have had software issues. Especially when there are two different drivers, who drive completely differently. I can imagine that it could give an adaptive tranny fits.

They need to have memory packages, like they do on seats and steering wheels. When you push the button to say you are driving, all the settings default to you............... including the trans memory.