Rear view Camera

rc6869

I am looking at purchasing an 09 F150 Lariat with nav. but no rear view camera.

Does anyone know it the wiring is already in place for the rear view camera if your truck does

not have the camera? Would I be able to just by the camera from Ford and it be plug and play?

I am looking at purchasing an 09 F150 Lariat with nav. but no rear view camera.

Does anyone know it the wiring is already in place for the rear view camera if your truck does

not have the camera? Would I be able to just by the camera from Ford and it be plug and play?

My guess would be that the wiring isn't there, but I have no idea. The camera is not included with the Nav system? I ask because it is on the Flex.

My guess would be that the wiring isn't there, but I have no idea. The camera is not included with the Nav system? I ask because it is on the Flex.

Nope it is not included. I was curious about it because in the past Ford has had basically a universal harness

so all the wiring was there, and if you got an accessory you could just plug it in. The Toyota's are the same

way. a guy I work with has an 07 Tundra and all he has to do is buy the camera and rear view mirror, then

its plug and play from there. Guess I will check with a Ford tech. and see what they say.

I am going to order my truck in the morning so i will decide then. I really get annoyed with the reverse sensors on my dads truck so I don't want them, but the Ford website shows that you can only order the rear view camera with the reverse sensors. On a different thread a guy ordered an XLT and was able to get just the reverse camera so I will see if you can get a Lariat with just the camera. Thanks for the input.

You will really like the rear view camera.

I never had one before, didn't think I wanted one, got it as part of a package deal on my 2009 F-150 XLT.

What a great addition it is. I am really glad I got it.

By the way, my new truck just came in last week. The 2009 F-150s are fabulous. Ride, comfort and styling.

You will really like the rear view camera.

I never had one before, didn't think I wanted one, got it as part of a package deal on my 2009 F-150 XLT.

What a great addition it is. I am really glad I got it.

By the way, my new truck just came in last week. The 2009 F-150s are fabulous. Ride, comfort and styling.

Do you have the camera that displays in the rearview mirror, or the nav system? And does yours have the guiding arrow things (red, yellow, green) on it when reversing?

On most models you can turn off the reverse sensors permanently via the message center. But it doesn't seem to work on all models for some reason.

Some models have a button on the dash for this feature, IIRC.

Do you have the camera that displays in the rearview mirror, or the nav system? And does yours have the guiding arrow things (red, yellow, green) on it when reversing?

Some models have a button on the dash for this feature, IIRC.

only the super dutys and e series have the button on the dash. on all other models it can be turned off via the message center.

"Rear Park Aid (if equipped)

This feature sounds a warning tone to warn the driver of obstacles near

the rear bumper, and functions only when R (Reverse) gear is selected.

1. To disable/enable the reverse

sensing system feature with the

vehicle in P (Park), select this

function from the SETUP MENU or

put the vehicle in R (Reverse).

2. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET stem to turn the park aid ON or

OFF.

3. Press the SELECT/RESET stem for the next SETUP MENU item or

wait for more than four seconds to return to the INFO mENU."

from: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/results.asp

Edited by blazerdude20

only the super dutys and e series have the button on the dash. on all other models it can be turned off via the message center.

"Rear Park Aid (if equipped)

This feature sounds a warning tone to warn the driver of obstacles near

the rear bumper, and functions only when R (Reverse) gear is selected.

1. To disable/enable the reverse

sensing system feature with the

vehicle in P (Park), select this

function from the SETUP MENU or

put the vehicle in R (Reverse).

2. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET stem to turn the park aid ON or

OFF.

3. Press the SELECT/RESET stem for the next SETUP MENU item or

wait for more than four seconds to return to the INFO mENU."

from: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/results.asp

My dad's '04 F-150 has a button on the dash for the parking sensors.....that may've been phased out for '09 though. In the pictures of the EB Flex, there is now a button in the left corner of the storage bin in front of the gear selector now for some reason. Maybe it has to do with BLIS, because on mine, it's like you said - controlled by the computer.

rmc523,

I do not have the nav system. The camera display is in the rearview mirror and has the red, green, yellow guiding arrows/lines in the display when it is activated in reverse.

What I meant to as was do those red/yellow/green arrows turn or anything? I seem to remember reading/seeing something about those lines turning with the steering wheel or something, but my Flex doesn't do this. Maybe I'm mistaken?

My dad's '04 F-150 has a button on the dash for the parking sensors.....that may've been phased out for '09 though. In the pictures of the EB Flex, there is now a button in the left corner of the storage bin in front of the gear selector now for some reason. Maybe it has to do with BLIS, because on mine, it's like you said - controlled by the computer.

perhaps that button is for automated parking?

perhaps that button is for automated parking?

I believe you're right, because I looked at those pictures again today, and it said AUTO with a "P" underneath it, which I didn't notice before. I didn't know that feature would be available for Flex/a Ford vehicle so soon. I figured maybe a year or so of Lincoln exclusivity (to the FMC portfolio) before it spread to Ford vehicles.

I'll find the link to the picture of the button.... :stats:

There will be no wiring for the camera if you do not order and if you tried to add it after it will cost way more than factory option and als0 there is a swich to turn off the rear sensing because when you are backing up a trailer it is sensing the trailer for a false warning so turning it off will silence it.

Thanks for all the replies. I on dads truck there is a button on the dash to turn off the sensors, it just gets annoying to have to keep pushing it. I was just curious about the wiring because even on my 86 f150 the wiring harness had the wires run for all motor options and every other option available on the truck. Also on dads old 92 f350, and his 02 f250 the wiring is run for other options not just what he got. I ordered my truck this past Thursday without the camera, I really don't need it but will check when it comes in just to see if the wiring is run. On one of my coworkers Tundra's the wiring is also run for all options available on the truck. Thanks again.

I will not be disappointed if it is not there, I think half the reason I ordered it with out was just to see if it is there or not. I would not use the camera too often even though it would be handy sometimes. It actually at least use to be cheaper for them to just order one harness in bulk instead of smaller quantities of several harnesses, but things change so we will see. A lot of things Ford as well as the other auto makers do does not make since to us since we do not see the reasoning or cost but does tho them, so we will see. I will post what I find when my truck comes in and I have some time to dig into it. I should find out this week what the estimated delivery date is.

I believe you're right, because I looked at those pictures again today, and it said AUTO with a "P" underneath it, which I didn't notice before. I didn't know that feature would be available for Flex/a Ford vehicle so soon. I figured maybe a year or so of Lincoln exclusivity (to the FMC portfolio) before it spread to Ford vehicles.

I'll find the link to the picture of the button.... :stats:

i believe the taurus will have it too.

i believe the taurus will have it too.

Hmmm, interesting....as I said, I figured it'd spread to Ford, but not this coming model year. Glad to see that though....I would've considered getting it (depending on how much $$ it is), just to see if it worked (there's not very many places to parallel park anywhere I go, although there are some places). I do think I'll hit the dealer up for a test of the system to see what it does (along with testing the EB Flex!) when they arrive.

Edited by rmc523