Mandated health screenings

Stugots

Now that I've wiped the tears from my eyes.....ACHTUNG ACHTUNG....SCHNELL...SCHNELL.... " delousing is good for you and your family...men to the right, women and children to the left, into the showers now.....SCHNELL SCHNELL...ACHTUNG , you will be deloused is all SCHNELL SCHNELL. :redcard:

Still wiping the tears from my eyes here. Though I am deeply touched by Ford's new found interest in my well being I am an adult and can and do get a physical at the discretion of myself and my Dr.

Uh....Thank you just the same though...... :reading:

LOL....point taken, but the other point was the rising health care costs.....if early detection is going to help us save on health care costs, then sign me up. You can opt out by helping in the cost of the catastrophic coverage portion by not participating and donating $300. Either way IT will help Ford stay viable until the corrupt banking issues are resolved, if not then they will eventually stop putting investment and product in the US and we will see plant closings just like GM!! Sad to say, but open a news paper or turn on a TV. No one is spending money and no one is buying cars, so unless Ford stops burning through cash we will be pensionless, health careless and jobless soon enough. Sad, but it is not just auto business, it is every business. The strong will survive and the week will be watered down and run by the gov. It sux to think that we just went through a concessionary agreement, but who would have thought the stock market would have tanked to 7000?? Wish I would have known. :banghead:

Again...your well being is only a portion of this.....it is everyone else that can not afford added cost to health care that is at stake! Thanks for the response though!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL....point taken, but the other point was the rising health care costs.....if early detection is going to help us save on health care costs, then sign me up. You can opt out by helping in the cost of the catastrophic coverage portion by not participating and donating $300. Either way IT will help Ford stay viable until the corrupt banking issues are resolved, if not then they will eventually stop putting investment and product in the US and we will see plant closings just like GM!! Sad to say, but open a news paper or turn on a TV. No one is spending money and no one is buying cars, so unless Ford stops burning through cash we will be pensionless, health careless and jobless soon enough. Sad, but it is not just auto business, it is every business. The strong will survive and the week will be watered down and run by the gov. It sux to think that we just went through a concessionary agreement, but who would have thought the stock market would have tanked to 7000?? Wish I would have known. :banghead:

Again...your well being is only a portion of this.....it is everyone else that can not afford added cost to health care that is at stake! Thanks for the response though!

that is the problem, sorry, capn, but ford is taking MY well being into effect ? i dont beleive that, they are only out for more money, plain and simple.

i dont think ford has MY well being to heart.

that is why i take care of MYSELF, want to know why > cause i'm the BEST person to care for MYSELF.

this is a WASTE of company money.

If Ford is still losing money (which they most likely will be) next year, they will be back for more blood.

They could or they could say screw the US workers and make the transit/transit connect/Escape/Focus/Taurus and all the components in Mexico or ship them in from turkey or brazil!! No one has a crystal ball.....they just rely on experts in the field to give our leadership guidance!

I can decide for myself when I need a physical.Let's cut the bullshit of costs we've given up so much over the last 8 years to offset health costs we could all buy our own insurance.This is about more than concern about us its opening the door to you begining to pay your own premiums.Don't you think if Ford is ordering an exam they will want proof of that exam.If my health does not impair my job performance it's no ones business when I see a doctor.Once again don't give that crap of how i can opt out for only $300.00 once this door is opened your premium to opt out will rise without end.Ford and the UAW are so concerned about our health yet we have a labor contract that has no sick days instead we come to work and infect others since we may not have enough vacation days left to stay home after 2 weeks have been stolen from us during shutdown.

Edited by skeptic

First off thanks for taking it in the spirit it was written and not taking offense. I always appreciate a good well thought out discussion.

I am aware that this is done in an attempt to lower insurance premiums, but the possibility for abuse is huge here.

Further, this "tinkering" with particulars as they relate to insurance costs amount to little more than rearranging the proverbial deck chairs on the Titanic.

The real issue is the American model of corporate supplied health care which was instituted in the post WW11 boom years simply is no longer viable in a global economy. When foreign companies can enter the market without the huge legacy costs of their American counterparts, that is an insurmountable mountain for American companies to climb. It is simply not a level playing field.

The only answer is an Amercian National healthcare policy which would relieve all American companies of this unfair burden.

that is the problem, sorry, capn, but ford is taking MY well being into effect ? i dont beleive that, they are only out for more money, plain and simple.

i dont think ford has MY well being to heart.

that is why i take care of MYSELF, want to know why > cause i'm the BEST person to care for MYSELF.

this is a WASTE of company money.

I understand, but your well being was only part of it....again the cost of maintaining our current health care coverage was a huge portion, I just threw in the other piece, but I am sure know one wants to see anyone sick or deathly ill before your time....OK...the UAW wants to promote healthy living and the health and safety of our members.

I am sure most people that are diagnosed with a serious health condition thinks they care of themselves, but they can not see whats going on inside!!

First off thanks for taking it in the spirit it was written and not taking offense. I always appreciate a good well thought out discussion.

I am aware that this is done in an attempt to lower insurance premiums, but the possibility for abuse is huge here.

Further, this "tinkering" with particulars as they relate to insurance costs amount to little more than rearranging the proverbial deck chairs on the Titanic.

The real issue is the American model of corporate supplied health care which was instituted in the post WW11 boom years simply is no longer viable in a global economy. When foreign companies can enter the market without the huge legacy costs of their American counterparts, that is an insurmountable mountain for American companies to climb. It is simply not a level playing field.

The only answer is an Amercian National healthcare policy which would relieve all American companies of this unfair burden.

You are correct, but until there is a mechanism to incorporate fixes to either of those issues, we must maintain Ford's competitiveness by helping to keep lower health care costs. Again the alternative would be to close some plants and ship work to lower cost nations.....Ford has worked well with the UAW and has not announced any closings. All of the cost savings that the UAW/Ford has collectively done are going directly into product. We are very fortunate for that...GM has came to an agreement with plant closings and even went as far as going public to say the UAW didn't give enough. We are fortunate in that Ford is putting the savings into keeping plants open with product and investment.

The physicals are NOT performed by the plant doctor and you will not have to haul your family into the plant medical department for exams. The physicals are to determine if there things you could do to improve your health, or if there are things you should stop doing to improve your health. Once these things are found out the doctor (again, NOT the plant doctor) helps you find a program for the things, such as stop smoking clinic or weight watchers. Taking care of smaller issues before they become bigger health issues is a cost save in health insurance as well as whats best for your health. If you don't want to commit to possibly haveing to make a life style change then don't - you get to pay 25month or 300 year. Up to you. Has nothing to do with the company wanting to know about your private life - its about taking care of health issues up front. I'm sure the company doesn't even give a rats behind what you do outside of work as long as you do your job - maybe your growing paranoid from the dope smoking. Alot of people take these exams for lower health insurance rates.

I can decide for myself when I need a physical.Let's cut the bullshit of costs we've given up so much over the last 8 years to offset health costs we could all buy our own insurance.This is about more than concern about us its opening the door to you begining to pay your own premiums.Don't you think if Ford is ordering an exam they will want proof of that exam.If my health does not impair my job performance it's no ones business when I see a doctor.Once again don't give that crap of how i can opt out for only $300.00 once this door is opened your premium to opt out will rise without end.

Again, I just want to make one more point.....health care costs have risen every year. If Ford wants to pay for you to have a physical who cares. If it is going to keep health care cost down, why not. Health Care costs coninued rise is the reason we have to keep working at ways to keep costs down. Again catastrophic coverage is the most expensive health care cost..the only way to combat that is to detect and treat early. I am sure they will want proof that you took the exam, but diagnosis is private under HIPPA laws, what they recommend for improving your health will probably be shared, but no details on how they came up with the diagnosis. It is everyones business if because you choose not to get a physical and our health care cost goes up and then all of our premiums go up then yes it is an issue for everyone involved. Should 40k members have to pay premiums because you do not want to get a physical.....not sure I would sign up for that. Again when I first heard of it I wasa little skeptical, but the end result will be maintaining lower healthcare costs and possible early detection of a unforeseen life threatening condition.

I understand, but your well being was only part of it....again the cost of maintaining our current health care coverage was a huge portion, I just threw in the other piece, but I am sure know one wants to see anyone sick or deathly ill before your time....OK...the UAW wants to promote healthy living and the health and safety of our members.

I am sure most people that are diagnosed with a serious health condition thinks they care of themselves, but they can not see whats going on inside!!

well i know, i am trying to be positive.....but ? some of this stuff really reaches out there, you know ..?

again my thanks too, for having a 'discussion' about it.....

still we may not agree....

i know the economy has gotten worse, but it's been doing that the last 5 years.....

i just want to know where it stops.....

i mean next year they will be back grabbin again.

Edited by dark271

Again, I just want to make one more point.....health care costs have risen every year. If Ford wants to pay for you to have a physical who cares. If it is going to keep health care cost down, why not. Health Care costs coninued rise is the reason we have to keep working at ways to keep costs down. Again catastrophic coverage is the most expensive health care cost..the only way to combat that is to detect and treat early. I am sure they will want proof that you took the exam, but diagnosis is private under HIPPA laws, what they recommend for improving your health will probably be shared, but no details on how they came up with the diagnosis. It is everyones business if because you choose not to get a physical and our health care cost goes up and then all of our premiums go up then yes it is an issue for everyone involved. Should 40k members have to pay premiums because you do not want to get a physical.....not sure I would sign up for that. Again when I first heard of it I wasa little skeptical, but the end result will be maintaining lower healthcare costs and possible early detection of a unforeseen life threatening condition.

i think i have a unforseen life threatening issue, its called I wanna eat BIG MACS

lol

IM voting YES!!!!

They can check my colon while their at it? Dr. has been wanting me to get one done.

Yuck, I don't feel like going through that shit...

With the contract up there instead of a finger it will flush your system since it is like an enema and eliminates everything.

Edited by skeptic

This is the same thing Salaried have had to do for a year or two now & is happening at almost every other company in the US. It is only through your insurance provider & is an incentive to lead a healthier lifestyle. The penalty is $25/mo if you do not want to comply. This is also very low for what others get charged. This is between you, your personal doc & your insurance company. It is covered by federal HIPAA privacy laws. There is no linkage to plant physician or company & you won't be disciplined or fired based on the results.

It's a good way to reign in some unhealthy lifestyles & try to curb the crazy healthcare costs. With all that said, I still love my McDonalds french fries!!! :shades:

With the contract up there instead of a finger it will flush your system since it is like an enema and eliminates everything.

No shit or a lot of shit? :P

Any way we look at it we're getting the banana! :banmolest:

(special circumstanes :rolleyes: so I'll post the obsence banana)

FYI, the IUAW is required to have a physical every year and they do pay for some or all of it depending on what type of insurance. Physicals are not covered under HMO's. The company will be picking up the tab on these physicals. Your personal info stays between you and your doctor and NO there is no drug screening!! The IUAW is totally against randum drug screening or anything else like this.

This is the fight that Ford keeps bringing to the table.... and will continue to bring to the table.... The UAW will continue to tell them to shove it for the simple reason, that they can not show levels of impairment, so there will always be a fight against any random drug screening. I want to be clear though, I don't speak for the IUAW but the IUAW is totally against anyone under the influence while working. Everyone should have an issue with that.....the safety of all the members should be 1st priority.

With that being said THERE WILL BE NO DRUG SCREENING...... IT IS A PHYSICAL.

This is to help in health care cost...we are the only ones that do not have premium sharing or 35-50% co-pays. Catastrophic health care coverage is the most expensive part of our healthcare costs. What this will do is help in early detection, which will lower health care cost significantly. If there is something found in your physical your doctor will refer you to a program. You must participate in the program and ATTEMPT at correcting or improving your condition. If you fail nothing happens, hopefully it helps you live a longer life to spend with your loved ones. It may suck trying to eat healthy or stop smoking or to watch your suger or salt intake, but you will live longer.

Even if you are slim and trim, there still could be the unforseen condition detected (cancer, heart disease, diabetes ect..) that may save someone's life! Anyone who looks, eats and drinks healthy may not always be healthy.

Sucks to have to take time out of our busy schedules to have a physical, but the benefits are overwhelming :doh: .....I am sure we will find out that our diets or bad habits can be healthy with a little change to our lives.....and if you are not interested, the best part is..... you do not have to participate, you just have to pay $25 a mnth or $300 a yr that will go towards your catastrophic coverage when they find some health condition that could have been very easily treated had you went and got a free physical or check-up. :banghead: I am sure any salaried employee or any other non-auto worker would love to have a free health exam, why wouldn't we if it allowed us to keep our low cost health care?

Again, no one is telling you that you have to get a physical or participate in the program, worse case scenario you pay $300 a yr, best case you may save your life and live longer with friends and family.

I am sure everyone who has lost a love one, before their time, due to an unforeseen health condition would have been greatful had they gotten a free physical and detected their condition early so that it may have been treated so they could have prolonged their life or even corrected their condition....think about it....anyone who has kids.....how would you feel if you knew tomorrow you would not be able to raise your kids because you found out you had stage 4 cancer that could have been easily treated if detected early. How would you like your kids growing up with out a mother or father...think about that long and hard!!! I have seen it happen personally and have heard many stories of people this has happened too.

Sorry so long, but this was an issue with me when I first heard of it, but once you think about it and it is explained that it is negotiated to help with lowering healthcare costs, then why not take 1 hr out of our lives to to go get a physical and save our low cost healthcare for you and your family?

Does anyone know if this will apply to an employee who does not have health insurance? I ask this because when two spouses work for Ford there is no dual insurance, just one. So if one spouse carries the insurance can the techincally uninsured spouse be required to participate in the physical process? Just curious.

Does anyone know if this will apply to an employee who does not have health insurance? I ask this because when two spouses work for Ford there is no dual insurance, just one. So if one spouse carries the insurance can the techincally uninsured spouse be required to participate in the physical process? Just curious.

Not true I work for Ford and my wife does as well and we both have our own insurance with Ford. (for now anyway)

This is the same thing Salaried have had to do for a year or two now & is happening at almost every other company in the US. It is only through your insurance provider & is an incentive to lead a healthier lifestyle. The penalty is $25/mo if you do not want to comply. This is also very low for what others get charged. This is between you, your personal doc & your insurance company. It is covered by federal HIPAA privacy laws. There is no linkage to plant physician or company & you won't be disciplined or fired based on the results.

It's a good way to reign in some unhealthy lifestyles & try to curb the crazy healthcare costs. With all that said, I still love my McDonalds french fries!!! :shades:

Where does the job end and my privacy begin? "Its a good way to reign in some unhealthy lifestyles" Is that the role of an employer?To reign in unhealthy lifestyles?I say also charge for dependent care and screen for alcohol,drugs and tobacco.Comrade!By the way isnt all the toxins and filth that we are constantly exposed to inside the plants detrimental to our good health?Let alone the stress and humiliation.Let alone the disintigration of our family lives caused by mandatory weekend work at straight time.I Vote No

Edited by Fatso

Where does the job end and my privacy begin? "Its a good way to reign in some unhealthy lifestyles" Is that the role of an employer?To reign in unhealthy lifestyles?I say also charge for dependent care and screen for alcohol and tobacco.Comrade!

You guys are picking up on that Comrade bit right quick! lmao!

Up till this point I worked a job,collected my pay and went home.Once at home I could de-stress from all the rules and regulations and the ass-hole people who make you so mad and never stop and you wanna hit em but ya cant if ya want to keep your job,etc.etc.Look at all the other things effecting our health.The plant I work at is totally filthy.The coveralls I am forced to wear have chemical flame retardants in them and scratch my skin.There are toxins and noxious chemicals used throughout the plant.I am under pressure to do unsafe things to keep the line moving.Hell I once saw a supervisor jump into an oven and he thought he was a hero.All there is to eat from are snack machines.I am forced to work the weekends for time and a quarter which may turn into straight time if these concessions pass.That affects my social and family life.Hell I will have to use up 12 hours of vacation pay just to take one Saturday off during June to attend a wedding.12 hours vacation pay for one day off.OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN PICKED ON AND DISCRIMMINATED AGAINST.That is what this is about,the overweight and the smokers.Why no drug screening?Why no alcohol counseling?The plant where I work at has given enough in concessions already.I vote no,as if it matters how I vote.

Edited by Fatso