So how many of you are buying a new car/truck this year?

OK

I need a new truck bad. With the state of the industry and the recent concessions, I'm afraid to buy a new truck. A few co-workers recently bought used vehicles and that's the route I'll be going. Does Ford realize their own employees aren't buying their vehicles? When the IUAW was in plant last week they told us they expect more concessions before the end of the year. Not exactly comforting info going into a 4 or 5 year truck note. As much as I love the new F-150, my family comes 1st. I'm sad to say my new 'used' truck will probably be a Chevy or a Dodge. I don't want to deal with the spark plug issue recent F-150's have. 2 dealers refused to make a spark plug change a condition of the sale so I walked - and they let me. Now my neighbors might see a Chevy or Dodge in the drive. Just wondering what other Ford employees are doing to meet their vehicle needs these days.

Just wondering what other Ford employees are doing to meet their vehicle needs these days.

Was thinking about a new truck. Thinking now that I will wait at least a year and see how my job goes. If things keep going the way they are I might have to repo my kids bigwheel to get around looking for work. Anyone know the payload capacity on those things?

I need a new truck bad. With the state of the industry and the recent concessions, I'm afraid to buy a new truck. A few co-workers recently bought used vehicles and that's the route I'll be going. Does Ford realize their own employees aren't buying their vehicles? When the IUAW was in plant last week they told us they expect more concessions before the end of the year. Not exactly comforting info going into a 4 or 5 year truck note. As much as I love the new F-150, my family comes 1st. I'm sad to say my new 'used' truck will probably be a Chevy or a Dodge. I don't want to deal with the spark plug issue recent F-150's have. 2 dealers refused to make a spark plug change a condition of the sale so I walked - and they let me. Now my neighbors might see a Chevy or Dodge in the drive. Just wondering what other Ford employees are doing to meet their vehicle needs these days.

it is nice to have that new car smell for sure, but do you know how much money you lose when that car leaves the lot??? I wont buy new ever again, I will ALWAYS buy Ford, but not new. The avg Millionare drives a 2 year old car! Good luck with whatever you do!

Ok---the reason I replied is the "new used" thing. It's apparent that you are concerned with Ford either way. Good or Bad? You seem to realize the negative image of Ford employees parking other brands "in the drive". Your mind seems pretty made up.

If you're on the team, I think you should wear the colors.

I'm trying to get them to "open the contract" on my lease, to see it they would make concessions. If I can't trust a 4 year contract at work, then I'll not be leasing again. Screw me once, shame on you type deal. I understand the whole "shared sacrifice" thing. I hope they do too.

I had a spark plug issue with my 2001 expedition. Last December one of my spark plugs fell out the motor and I took it to the dealer and it cost me $1100 to fix it, two months later in February another plug fell out the motor and they wanted me to pay another $1100 to fix it plus another $1600 to put some kind of inserts in the cylinders to keep the spark plugs from falling out so I told them the can have this piece of shit and I just bought 2009 Ford edge.

Get a 3V 5.4 then. Don't overlook the fact that, Chevy's, Ram's and Import's have their quirk's too.

it is nice to have that new car smell for sure, but do you know how much money you lose when that car leaves the lot??? I wont buy new ever again, I will ALWAYS buy Ford, but not new. The avg Millionare drives a 2 year old car! Good luck with whatever you do!

You don't get the employee discount on a used car. Repairs are a pain in the ass. A two year old car is a four year old car in two years. If the style changes, it will look like a seven year old car. If you buy next year's model, it is only one year old after two years. The more often you buy new, the more often you get the discount. If you own a new car outright, you could probably trade it in every six months at little or no additional cost.

Understood. I just try to give a little back to the company that has given me so much.

:redcard: how are you giving back, buying a Chevy or Dodge? :finger: JMO. If your pay check is from FORD, your purchase and/or loyalty should be from FORD as well. :stirpot: I just bought a used Expedition. :happy feet: :happy feet:

:redcard: how are you giving back, buying a Chevy or Dodge? :finger: JMO. If your pay check is from FORD, your purchase and/or loyalty should be from FORD as well. :stirpot: I just bought a used Expedition. :happy feet: :happy feet:

I try to be loyal to Ford but my family likes to eat also. Dealer said if spark plug breaks it's $1800 per side to fix. That's $3600 to change spark plugs. That's a lot of Mac & Cheese. I keep my trucks well past 10 years so the plug issue will come into play at some point. I don't really see how buying used helps Ford except for neighbors & family seeing me in a Ford.

I work at a Ford dealer, and we're acually in an unusual time right now for the new/used market. With fewer cars being sold, there is an amazing shortage not only of trade ins, but of program cars as well. Rental companies are cutting back their fleets, so used cars are getting harder to come by. Two years ago, when I went to the auction, there were 200 Explorers, and 300 Tauruses (Tauraii?) going through the lanes. This month there were maybe 5 Explorers, and 50 Tauruses... Tuaraii.. You get it.

With the shortage of used cars, coupled with dealers trying to cater to the customers perception of value on 1-2 year old cars, everybody is bidding high at the sale. Add in the most amazing, across the board rebates I've ever seen, and suddenly the gap between new and used get pretty small. It's actually pretty tricky for me to sell used now, with the new ones being so close in price.

As for the spark plugs, as woodhaven pointed out, the problem was fixed in November 2007, so if you go used, just check the build date on the data plate. That being said, any vehicle you buy is going to have problems and horror stories. Especially trucks. People beat 'em, and are gonna break 'em, and can't wait to talk about it. Ford still builds the most reliable trucks on the market after all the dust settles.

Look at both used and new, but do yourself a favor and stick with Ford, especially for trucks. You guys build a hell of a product for me to sell. Thanks! :beerchug:

Edited by chiefstang

I would love to have a new car. It's been so long since I have seen a warrante I'm not sure what one looks like. My 2001 Excursion has basicly become a yard ornimante only to be driven when I gotta haul all the kids or hook to the car trailer. But, I simply cant afford a car payment so I am going to just keep driving my 2000 Focus with 190k miles on the original engine and transmission. "Hey HONDA!!!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it."