Hummer's fate to be decided by Tuesday

TomServo92

Hummer is quite possibly the biggest example of runaway greed of the 1990's. Sure, it was born of a simple idea, offer AG's Humvee in civilian form as a sort of ultra-macho luxury vehicle. But then the "no SUV is big enough" movement hit and GM couldn't resist wading pell-mell into the fray by creating a vehicle line for a market that simply did not exist. Once the fad faded and gas shot up, Hummer was doomed.

My question is, why would anyone want it? Its a brand that is the poster child for excess, whose entire lineup is proprietary to GM, and the military connection is quickly disappearing. Better to let it die.

Hummer is quite possibly the biggest example of runaway greed of the 1990's. Sure, it was born of a simple idea, offer AG's Humvee in civilian form as a sort of ultra-macho luxury vehicle. But then the "no SUV is big enough" movement hit and GM couldn't resist wading pell-mell into the fray by creating a vehicle line for a market that simply did not exist. Once the fad faded and gas shot up, Hummer was doomed.

My question is, why would anyone want it? Its a brand that is the poster child for excess, whose entire lineup is proprietary to GM, and the military connection is quickly disappearing. Better to let it die.

I agree 100%. I always thought Hummer was just a very expensive penis enhancement anyway.

GM's mistake was in launching HUMMER as a separate division. They required a huge investment by GM and its dealers in separate marketing and brand development. HUMMER should have been a niche vehicle sold through select Cadillac dealers. The advantage would have been that when the HUMMER fad was over GM simply cancels the HUMMER and life goes on. Just like Ford did with the T-Bird. Instead they now face the problem on winding up an entire division and a dealer body. The lawsuits by HUMMER dealers who invested hundreds of thousands of dollars will be epic.

GM's mistake was in launching HUMMER as a separate division. They required a huge investment by GM and its dealers in separate marketing and brand development. HUMMER should have been a niche vehicle sold through select Cadillac dealers. The advantage would have been that when the HUMMER fad was over GM simply cancels the HUMMER and life goes on. Just like Ford did with the T-Bird. Instead they now face the problem on winding up an entire division and a dealer body. The lawsuits by HUMMER dealers who invested hundreds of thousands of dollars will be epic.

I know the Hummer dealer near me must've put a lot into it.....they're a stand alone building (they're next to a Cadillac dealer, but it's still a stand alone Hummer building).

I know the Hummer dealer near me must've put a lot into it.....they're a stand alone building (they're next to a Cadillac dealer, but it's still a stand alone Hummer building).

It's hard for me to feel sorry for any of those Cadillac/Hummer dealers. When it was the gotta-have vehicle for the athletes, soccer moms and wannabe gangsters; those dealers loaded them up with bling and took the buyers to the cleaners. My guess is that they were also making a killing arranging financing for the customers with less-than-stellar credit as well. Maybe they can get a Kia or a Hyundai franchise for their buildings. Those cars are selling and their buyers are about as easy to take advantage of as Hummer buyers were.

I've always had a different approach for Hummer, I thoght they should have been sold through the GMC Truck dealers. GMC has traditionally be a higher end version of Chevy trucks and SUVs offerings like the Denali line tend to carry that idea. The Hummer vehicles could have done well sold alongside GMC's professional grade lineup. It would have both increased GMC showroom traffic and given those vehicles a good place to be sold and serviced at. Lets face it, almost everything in the modern hummers is parts shared with another GMC vehicle in one way or another.

I've always had a different approach for Hummer, I thoght they should have been sold through the GMC Truck dealers. GMC has traditionally be a higher end version of Chevy trucks and SUVs offerings like the Denali line tend to carry that idea. The Hummer vehicles could have done well sold alongside GMC's professional grade lineup. It would have both increased GMC showroom traffic and given those vehicles a good place to be sold and serviced at. Lets face it, almost everything in the modern hummers is parts shared with another GMC vehicle in one way or another.

Agree 100%...HUMMER could and can still be folded into the GMC division with little effort. The model line up would then be the GMC HUMMER H2, the GMC HUMMER H3, and H3T......etc

GM really wanted a Jeep or Land Rover type division having tried to buy the latter before. So when they failed I think they saw Hummer as the answer. The big mistake they made was not modelling Hummer on Jeep or Land Rover, because really it only ever did well in the US where fuel was cheap. Then when the price went up they had totally the wrong SUV line up. Sure both Jeep and LR have problems but not Hummer PROBLEMS.

Not sure if I should admit this, but I always wanted one. The H2 at least. My buddy's dad had a H1 soon after it was offered to the public (he bought it for business reasons, mainly but the name of his business on the side of it and hope people take notice). Anyway, on a snowy day we were out in it and an Accord lost control and veered over in front of us. We literally drove over half the car. The driver of the Accord had to be pulled out by the Fire Department, he survived, but if he had a passenger, they would have been crushed. Only damage to the Hummer? A scratch on the bumper and one on the rocker bar. Well, there were scratches there, my buddy wasn't sure when they got there though. Point is, I value my life and those of my family and friends. Being in a Hummer will keep you safe.

Not sure if I should admit this, but I always wanted one. The H2 at least. My buddy's dad had a H1 soon after it was offered to the public (he bought it for business reasons, mainly but the name of his business on the side of it and hope people take notice).

Oh yes... there is/was the reason for the large number of 'sales' in the first few years. The tax deductions. Even when Congress wanted to start limiting the amount of deduction and people were saying, WAIT, That's just the cutoff at the bottom of the Hummer pricing. Uproar was heard and soon the cost to deduct a Hummer was stricken and sales started down. Not to mention the mileage deduction that gets taken, just as long as you can prove you have a magnetic sign on the side of one, for business porpoises.

Old neighbor of mine came home one day with a new silver Hummer H2. He returned it the next day and came home with a yellow one instead. His reasoning? "If I'm going to get an obnoxious vehicle, I may as well get it in an obnoxious color."

Well I watched a temp worker for Ford rush right out and buy a Hummer cause they had a new job in an Auto-company. a $14/hr job. None the less. It use to be a Cadillac, but the newer status symbol shifted to a Hummer. Imagine total paycheck going to support a status symbol like that and at $14/hr.

I agree 100%. I always thought Hummer was just a very expensive penis enhancement anyway.
That's funny. I once had to run a Hummer over to the Chevy dealer across from our (Ford) dealership. Sold used vehicle with oil leaks....GM....leaks?.....wow imagine that. Anyway, back to the point. When I got back I told everyone I could actually feel "my junk" shrinking as I drove........lol