Autoblog Review Fusion SE 6 Speed Manual

We have an 03 mach 1 and a 06 gt in our family. The mach is a 5 speed manual and the Gt is a 5 speed auto. Bear in mind its a vert as well so it weighs more. The mach consistantly gets 1-3 more mpg then the Gt. I figured it was weight plus the manual being more efficient. Plus, the mach 1 tremec 3650 5th gear is a .62 which is a big time overdrive. Its almost a 6 speed with no 5th gear. By the way the mach is a 3.55 rear and the GT is a 3.31.

Now what gives? Im having a hard time understand this with the Fusion. I love the stick trannys for many reasons. I keep cars a long long time. I drive them out. With a manual, you will have to replace a clutch or two(depending on how many teenagers drive it or you teach to drive it) and thats about it and clutches are cheap. When an auto goes south, its big trouble and big money. I still like that third pedal myself while Im able to use it.

I just cant get my head around why the 6 speed stick Fusion is so much worse on gas. I really like these cars but its a let down to me. Im still hating on Ford for taking the manual out of the F150's. Everybody did it not just them but how about going back to simplicity that is cheap.

Can anybody give my a logical explanation on why a six speed stick is so much worse on fuel than the automatic? Im talking about the Fusion of course. I know automatics have come a long way but have stick trannys tanked that bad or is it in the gearing or what. Please help me understand.

no logic barring gear ratios perhaps....but to put this in perspective...I can't get 31 in my Mini.....and its a 1.6L 9 granted it has a blower, but I'm talki ng babying I'm lucky to get 28....29-30 on a trip )

I think that newer automatic transmissions have become so efficient that they're to the point where they're a match for a human in terms of fuel efficiency. In the past, autos were subject to more parasitic loss than a manual because of the sun gear that is necessary in an automatic transmission. I'm not sure what specifically Ford or anybody else has done, but the autos are definitely closing the gap lately - and in many cases, exceeding it.

I suspect a lot of that has to do more with transmission / ECU tuning than anything though. I have noticed that on my 06 Fusion the shift programming is extremely aggressively biased towards fuel economy. So much so, that it is somewhat annoying at times. The car has plenty of power, but sometimes I have to push the accelerator harder than I want to get the car to move. This usually ends up forcing a down shift (or sometimes a double downshift!) .. and with 221 hp on tap, most of the time, my passengers freak out and think I am driving like a mad man. (Not to mention I typically don't intend to hit 80 mph on a freeway onramp .. but on a cloverleaf ramp, it's gun it or risk making people mad at your merge).

Well, thank you for your opinion. Im still miffed. WTF ford its a huge difference in mpg from the auto to 6 speed. I just dont understand or get it. Im asking for help. Gearing??/ But, why would they do that?

The new Fusion is a sweet peice no doubt but mpg? Its confusinion to say the least. Help me understand.

I wonder how much power that transmission can take. Can it be used in AWD? The aftermarket turbo kits come to mind.

FWD manual trans such as Fusion's 6 spd are not compatible with AWD. They all have only two output shafts to front wheels, while AWD transaxles (mostly autos) are all specially designed with 3 outputs, 2 for wheels and a 3rd one for prop shaft to rear axle. The PTU that enables the 3rd output for AWD is in most cases integrated to the transaxle. It looks like one unit from outside.

Well, thank you for your opinion. Im still miffed. WTF ford its a huge difference in mpg from the auto to 6 speed. I just dont understand or get it. Im asking for help. Gearing??/ But, why would they do that?

The new Fusion is a sweet peice no doubt but mpg? Its confusinion to say the least. Help me understand.

Well, highway MPG can be explained by gearing, alone. Look at 2010 Fusion spec,

manual, 0.68 (6th) X 4.388 (final) = 2.98

auto, 0.746 (6th) X 3.06 (final) = 2.28

enough to make a difference. As to why, so the manual one is quicker/faster?

The weird thing is auto's city MPG is also higher than manual's,

23/34 vs. 22/31.

Do they not use a torque converter for autos in the Fusion?

Edited by 03 LS

Does anyone happen to have a handy chart of the gear ratios on the 6AT vs the 6MT and the final drive ratio for both? I suspect that the final drive ration on the 6MT is a little shorter to give a sportier performance, which could definitely have an effect on the mpg numbers. Also, I believe that the 6AT version may have an agressive fuel cutoff system in place for deceleration that the MT doesn't have due to the fact that the ECU can't know in advance what you've going to do with the gear shift.

Also, is there a marked difference in the tires between cars outfitted with the 6MT vs. the 6AT? In computing highway mileage, the following are the big factors in the final numbers:

Air resistance of the vehicle (this makes a geometric amount of difference once you pass about 45 mph)

Rolling resistance of the tires (this is a flat slope and also includes wheel bearing efficiency as a secondary product)

Engine RPM at the calculated speed

Parasitic drivetrain drag (this is often lumped into the Engine RPM calculation as its a direct product of that number)

Weight of the vehicle (has an affect on the rolling resistance)

Base engine efficiency (shouldn't change between AT and MT, but ECU tuning may alter this)

Modern ATs, especially the smaller ones, have been optimized to reduce drag and are approaching MT levels in that regard. They also have a reduced weight penalty with respect to MTs of similar gear counts. Given how closely coupeled the control systems are for the engine and transmission, having each one knowing what the other is doing at a given moment and knowing what they are about to do allows them to achieve even higher efficiency than ever before for an AT. For the MT, you have to know how to exactly time and rev match your shifts, end, even then, your ability to be perfect with that timing for EVERY SHIFT is questionable. So, ATs make up for higher parasitic drag through more intelligence in operation, often times exceeding that of comparable MTs.

The fact that an AT can achieve better mpg than a comparable MT is not shocking to me. What is shocking is the amount of difference that we are seeing.

no logic barring gear ratios perhaps....but to put this in perspective...I can't get 31 in my Mini.....and its a 1.6L 9 granted it has a blower, but I'm talki ng babying I'm lucky to get 28....29-30 on a trip )

Dean, can you be more specific. Im still confused. It makes no sense when you think about it. The manuals re effewcient. I just cant see an auto being more efficient than a stick. WTF

Dean, can you be more specific. Im still confused. It makes no sense when you think about it. The manuals re effewcient. I just cant see an auto being more efficient than a stick. WTF

final drive gear ratio on the auto equates to less rpms at freeway speeds...and APPARENTLY around town????? Funny, i thought 31 wasn't bad....34 is weirdly /obviously better but hey...

How much of the lengthening of final drives and higher gears do you think is a response to the new government mandates and last summer's gas spike? The cheapest mileage increase any manufacturer has at their discretion is ratios and lower rolling resistance tires. The EPAs recently updated mileage procedures seem to give substantial benefit to such policies. I'm a manual fan myself, but it's frustrating that so many people seem to suddenly think manuals are less efficient than automatics. Any conventional auto (with torque converter) will be less efficient than a manual with similar ratios. I'd prefer to give up 1 or 2 window sticker mpgs to have enough power to not have to constantly downshift or force the auto to double down. Oh well, as long as the manual is available when I'm ready to buy. As far as the dual-clutch Powershift type transmissions, they invariably can do as well or better than manuals, but if driven and shifted similarly (with the same ratios) any manual would do just as well. The government and manufacturers love auto transmissions since they can use computer manipulation to keep emissions down and mileage up. Manual drivers are equally competent yet seem to be treated with fear because of variability in driving habits.

Also, finally saw my first 2010s outside of an autoshow, both white with the Steel wheels/plastic overlays. The wheels look pretty nice, but close-up it's obvious they're covers as they stick out a decent bit from the tire. Certainly they look better than any other type of wheelcover, but still not quite as nice as the real deal.

Locking torque converters eliminated almost all parasitic losses at constant engine speeds for auto transmissions. At varying speeds, I'd put that on shift programming---with a 'select shift' mode, they probably calibrated the standard shift pattern for economy.

Re: gear ratios

http://media.ford.com/press_kits_detail.cf...section_id=2878

But the numbers are a bit confusing.....

The 6 sp manual is just a benefit of the Fusion being also sold in SA, where it has been a hit.

The take rate could be just 1% and it would still make sense, it hardly costs Ford anything.

Offering a manual tranny in SA is a must, so Ford has plenty of them around.

The 6 sp manual is just a benefit of the Fusion being also sold in SA, where it has been a hit.

The take rate could be just 1% and it would still make sense, it hardly costs Ford anything.

Hey, look who it is! Haven't seen you in a while, pcsario. Welcome back :reading:

Who knows, Ford may uncover a whole group of drivers who enjoy working a slick manual and light clutch.

I've driven the manual Mazda 6 and found the six speed rewarding and fun.

The difference is ratios. For whatever reason, automotive engineers & marketing-types have determined that it's a huge inconvience to downshift a manual transmission car on the highway to pass, therefore they've kept the gearing low enough to keep the engine in a powerband sufficient to pass quickly without downshifting. This doesn't apply to automatics as they can program the car to downshift out of the top gear quickly to provide drivers with passing power.

I can drive 25 mph in the top gear of my MX5. And on the highway I'm turning north of 3500 rpm. It is very easy to pass, but I'd gladly downshift to pass if that meant a proper set of ratios to bring the engine down to 2500 rpm or less on the highway.

A great example is the Dodge Neon. The original Neon manual had a tall 5th gear - at 70 it was turning roughly 2500 rpm - and was ranked, throughout it's five year lifespan between 38 to 41 mpg highway. When the 2000 Neon came out, Chrysler specifically mentioned the gear ratios had been changed in an effort to making passing easier. At 70 mph the engine was turning around 3100 rpm and highway fuel economy was 35 mpg.

I'd gladly take the fuel economy over highway "snap" anyday.

Scott

Tried "building" a Fusion 6MT on the Ford site...it's only available in S & SE? And there aren't really any options on an SE beyond the sunroof/stereo package. Do manual buyers not like navigation, leather, power seats, auto climate control, HIDs, etc?

Oddly enough, I can buy a Mazda6 Grand Touring with all the options in 4cyl/manual guise. Honda Accord? Yup, the EX-L with Navigation is available with a manual. The Subau Legacy Limited is auto-only, but the non-turbo lower models are available in stick shift as are the top-of-the-line 4cyl turbos in the GT. Nissan limits the options similar to the Fusion on the 2.5S Altima: no leather, navigation, etc. However, Nissan is forgiven for still offering a V6/manual combination, and it can be loaded up.

Why no Fusion SEL 6MT?

Scott

+1

+1 Hopefully, it'll be at least a pay for option like autos are now. I'm sure Powershift is going to be great however, I think manuals will be around for a while longer. Then again, I don't rolling up/down my windows.

Tried "building" a Fusion 6MT on the Ford site...it's only available in S & SE? And there aren't really any options on an SE beyond the sunroof/stereo package. Do manual buyers not like navigation, leather, power seats, auto climate control, HIDs, etc?

Oddly enough, I can buy a Mazda6 Grand Touring with all the options in 4cyl/manual guise. Honda Accord? Yup, the EX-L with Navigation is available with a manual. The Subau Legacy Limited is auto-only, but the non-turbo lower models are available in stick shift as are the top-of-the-line 4cyl turbos in the GT. Nissan limits the options similar to the Fusion on the 2.5S Altima: no leather, navigation, etc. However, Nissan is forgiven for still offering a V6/manual combination, and it can be loaded up.

Why no Fusion SEL 6MT?

Scott

Strange indeed but it looks like they want to get you into a D30 PIP while they're still been made, I think they are only one shift now and will eventually be gone.

Strange indeed but it looks like they want to get you into a D30 PIP while they're still been made, I think they are only one shift now and will eventually be gone.

I'd be okay if they wanted that - just hook that D30 PIP to a six speed manual and we're good. It seems odd that you can load up a 4cyl/auto but not a 4cyl/manual.

Interestingly, it's identical to Hyundai & Kia. The Sonata & Optima are both offering with manual transmissions, but only on the lowest trim level with no options. I'd think the days of people "cheaping out" by buying a stick shift instead of an automatic, only to save money, are over.

Just as a reminder to all manufacturers - when the Mazda6 launched, it wasn't 4cyl/auto combos that Mazda underestimated in the demand forecasts - it was V6/manuals.

Scott