Pelosi offers tough critique of automakers

Len_A

Now she supports a bankruptcy filing, but somehow, she believes it can be done in a month and a half. Or even a few weeks.

No one in the Detroit auto industry has a bit of support from anyone out side of our area, and the powers-that-be don't have a clue. It's enough to make you sick...

Makes the Uaw look like a bunch of idiots for backing these people. Just like Clinton with the NAFTA debacle, the annointed one may may screw the union and let GM and Chrysler go into bankruptsy. Damn shame if that happens.

Man, it does make you wonder about it, doesn't it. The disruption a bankruptcy filing may create is scary to even consider.

Man, it does make you wonder about it, doesn't it. The disruption a bankruptcy filing may create is scary to even consider.

We as employees need to do everything we can to keep Ford off the government teet. That is the only way to maybe keep them out of our business and pockets.

Nancy Pelosi is a crazy helter skelter woman, WHY even the dems would make her speaker is beyond comprehension! As long as she is in the house we as UAW members will be the bastards dragging down the big three.

And then there is the idiot from Florida that wants Gettlefinger ousted, only goes to show how out of touch our congressmen and women are.

We are witnessing history ladies and gentlemen! Tell your children and grandchildren to pay close attention and never let your elected officials do this to the greatest God blessed coutry ever again!

I understand the bankruptcy aspect of restructuring these companies. Most of us only look at it from our point of view but if we were to look at the whole range of issues, it will take a bankruptcy to change GM, Chrysler and Fords business model. We think it is all about labor cuts but the real issue is the dealer network. Dealers have not or will not accept any type of changes that would give these companies better control. I have never, never talked an unhappy Ford car owner and the owner be flat out pissed by what Ford Motor Co. did, no they were pissed because the dealer beat them or lied to them. This is causing nightmares within the big 3 and is the number one factor in customers going to import brands. Now the big 3 have twice as many dealers as they need but the big 3 cannot get rid of them without paying big bucks. The union labor on the other hand can and has negoitiated reductions that the company is happy with. I do not want to see any company go bankrupt but in order to understand the reasons we have to open our minds. I also think that if any of the big 3 go bankrupt the union will negoitiate on our behalf, at least giving us a say as opposed to just taking what is given. I see people making this political but it really isnt and there are more Republicans that want bankruptcy for the sole purpose of hurting unions. If we stay united and share our input with our union, we will be ok!

I understand the bankruptcy aspect of restructuring these companies. Most of us only look at it from our point of view but if we were to look at the whole range of issues, it will take a bankruptcy to change GM, Chrysler and Fords business model. We think it is all about labor cuts but the real issue is the dealer network. Dealers have not or will not accept any type of changes that would give these companies better control. I have never, never talked an unhappy Ford car owner and the owner be flat out pissed by what Ford Motor Co. did, no they were pissed because the dealer beat them or lied to them. This is causing nightmares within the big 3 and is the number one factor in customers going to import brands. Now the big 3 have twice as many dealers as they need but the big 3 cannot get rid of them without paying big bucks. The union labor on the other hand can and has negoitiated reductions that the company is happy with. I do not want to see any company go bankrupt but in order to understand the reasons we have to open our minds. I also think that if any of the big 3 go bankrupt the union will negoitiate on our behalf, at least giving us a say as opposed to just taking what is given. I see people making this political but it really isnt and there are more Republicans that want bankruptcy for the sole purpose of hurting unions. If we stay united and share our input with our union, we will be ok!

i agree with you, however the filing, will and may take more then6 months to 4 years, look at delphi...

no 'quick rinse' there.

she is such a hypocrite BITCH, it is pathetic.

Last Tuesday, as President Obama got off the Helicopter in front of the

White House, he was carrying a baby piglet under each arm.

The squared away Marine guard snaps to attention, Salutes, and says:

"Nice pigs, Sir."

The President replies: "These are not pigs. These are authentic Arkansas

Razorback Hogs. I got one for Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and I

got one for Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi."

The squared away Marine again snaps to attention, Salutes, and says:

"Excellent trade, Sir.

:shades:

Makes the Uaw look like a bunch of idiots for backing these people. Just like Clinton with the NAFTA debacle, the annointed one may may screw the union and let GM and Chrysler go into bankruptsy. Damn shame if that happens.

[/quote

The alternative of McCain who acts just like Shelby and Corker would be making it worse. Obama wants to get them through without bankruptcy, but GM alone needs 6 Billion every month just to keep the doors open. He won't be able to keep throwing billions at them, if they can't get the costs per month down. I shudder to think what happens to the GM employees with a bankruptcy, and the trickle down effect for us and the rest of the country will be bad.

Last Tuesday, as President Obama got off the Helicopter in front of the

White House, he was carrying a baby piglet under each arm.

The squared away Marine guard snaps to attention, Salutes, and says:

"Nice pigs, Sir."

The President replies: "These are not pigs. These are authentic Arkansas

Razorback Hogs. I got one for Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and I

got one for Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi."

The squared away Marine again snaps to attention, Salutes, and says:

"Excellent trade, Sir.

:shades:

yeah did you hear the phone line for hilliary got mixed up with a sex line ?

(true story btw)

LOL

yeah who would want that bitch!! :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

The alternative of McCain who acts just like Shelby and Corker would be making it worse. Obama wants to get them through without bankruptcy, but GM alone needs 6 Billion every month just to keep the doors open. He won't be able to keep throwing billions at them, if they can't get the costs per month down. I shudder to think what happens to the GM employees with a bankruptcy, and the trickle down effect for us and the rest of the country will be bad.

When you look clearly there was never much difference between them and still is not.

I hope you don't believe no bankrupcy, that is what Obama said is the most likely option. They said they had 60 days. Look for the bankrupcy to start around late May early June.

Other things I read was the bondholders said no to the last agreement because if they go into chapter 11 it will almost certainly lead to 7, I have heard that many other places also.

When you look clearly there was never much difference between them and still is not.

I hope you don't believe no bankrupcy, that is what Obama said is the most likely option. They said they had 60 days. Look for the bankrupcy to start around late May early June.

Other things I read was the bondholders said no to the last agreement because if they go into chapter 11 it will almost certainly lead to 7, I have heard that many other places also.

yeah but a chapter 7(which is the only one that wil happen) would and could be devastating to the economy, and apparently they want that to happen. and most of the blame has to go on the bondholders

enjoy!

I believe bankruptcy is probably eminant, I also believe it was always going to be the end result when the Ceo said he needed 6 billion every month, but I don't think thats what Obama wants to happen, nobody could really want that for the employees and retirees who will suffer from it. I hope chapter 7 isn't the result.

I do not understand what everyone is so worried about. The U.A.W wanted Obama and the Democrats to control everything, now that they do everyone is wanting to bitch about them. This is what you all wanted, yea Mccain might have not been any better, but at least he came out and said they should go into bankruptcy, unlike Obama and the Dems who are supposed to be all for us, and now look at them. He did a hell of a job talking everything up, to get the vote. Its amazing this man raised record amounts of money each month of the campaign, everyone kept forking it out, and now look whats happening. Everyone keeps talking about Shelby and Corker like they are the only ones selling us out. All these people that the U.A.W always supports, goes out picketing for, and all the other crap are selling us out just as bad as them.

I see one of two things happening here:

1) The assistance for Chrysler and GM are cut and dried; they are going to get help regardless. Obama and the Dems may be playing up to the John McLames, John Corkers, and the Dick Shelbys of the world since the former know this is not popular with the American public. Playing politics- pure and simple.

2) Obama is doing what JFK did in the 1960 elections; make promises to the mob not to investigate them in exchange for the election, only to throw them under the bus after the election.

Face it, if Obama turns his back on the auto industry, he can kiss a lot of the midwest goodbye come election time. Can you imagine the UAW endorsing a candidate that threw them under the bus? What is Grandmole going to do if Chrysler and GM collapse, and Ford and the rest of the industry are crippled? Offer a lame-ass retraining program for a state that will have 30 percent unemployment?

BTW, where is Gettelfinger in all this mess?

This is what I sent to Pelosi....

If you would like to share your opinion with her: http://www.speaker.gov/contact

"This is a lifeline to help them show viability. It is not life support that every few months we're going to infuse cash into a system that has not shown any viability," she said.

The government owns roughly 80% of AIG's stock. Has given AIG over $150,000,000,000.00 through multiple "infusions" just about every few months. The government has also allowed AIG executives to receive bonuses, despite the fact that they own 80% of the stock. Wasn't there a Force Majeure clause in any of these contracts?

I work for Ford Motor Company. I am in the UAW. From my perspective, what you've said is about the most asinine thing anyone in your position could possibly come up with. As a middle-class American, I was forced to give up bonuses in my contract at the behest of the government. I would like to note; I wrote my representatives to oppose BOTH TARP and the Automotive bailouts.

I don't suppose I should be surprised though. The government has over $55,000,000,000,000.00 in unfunded liabilities, how is it that you people believe the government has a right to dictate business practices?

From the article:

She said automakers could have been better off if "this pain had been faced even six months ago."

And yet, nobody in congress can see that we would have been better off if we had faced the problems with our economy instead of propping things up for just a little bit longer. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, Madam Speaker - we should prop up banks, but pushing automotive companies into bankruptcy is a good idea.

Every day, more Americans are learning about what too much debt does. It seems the people running our government will never have to face the same realities as those Americans, for the mere fact that the people running our government believe they can continually borrow and spend FOREVER, without ever having to suffer the consequences of spending other people's money.

It is not the role of government to run the economy, dictate business practices or bail-out failed businesses. Please, reconsider your position or at the very least, be consistent with your policies.

http://mises.org/books/causes.pdf

Hold on now, the Dems are in charge of everything its going to be alright isnt it. :reading:

Sad part is that as they are bending us over laying the high hard one to us, they will be wispering sweet nothings in our ear, telling us it had to be done because the last administration left them with such a mess.

I understand the bankruptcy aspect of restructuring these companies. Most of us only look at it from our point of view but if we were to look at the whole range of issues, it will take a bankruptcy to change GM, Chrysler and Fords business model. We think it is all about labor cuts but the real issue is the dealer network.

Bingo. One hundred percent right ! A walked through Bankruptcy will allow them to set dealer contracts aside and that alone will save them a ton.

i agree with you, however the filing, will and may take more then6 months to 4 years, look at delphi...

no 'quick rinse' there.

You're right. Phuk it, just give GM another 14 Billion. It will all be ok. For another month. This is beyond stupid.

It's time to stop looking at GM and DCX minus the D the same way you look at Ford. GM led the charge all the way to Capitol Hill, hat in hand. Chrysler has not done or said one thing that is innovative or unique. They've become this hanger on, hoping whatever pity GM can scrounge up will somehow benefit them. I am not a company ass kisser by any stretch of the imagination. But I give Ford a lot of credit for doing their own thing and keeping the hands of Obama's version of the USSR; USASR out of this company. Sitting around waiting for the gov't to fix this mess isn't really working out, now is it? And if GMCX does go any deeper into debt to the Barrak Bloc, can we really compete with that. They'll be giving away a GEO Metro with every book of food stamps!!! Think about it, they've already begun the transformation on Wall Street. Now they are in position to take over GMCX. If you have a warranty issue, first you must go to the social security office, take a number, have a seat. When you are finally called, you will be issued an auto bridge card. Next you will be instructed which government owned repair facility to take your, er, their vehicle to. What's next? Microsoft? Apple? Harley Davidson?

If GMCX goes thru a "structured" bankruptcy, the key word there is "structured", they can get the suppliers paid, shed a lot of debt and still build cars and trucks. But if they keep begging the People's Republic of Obama to shove a little more gov't aid(read as control) up their exhaust pipe, they may as well change the name of that car company to USASR Motors and put a red star and a sickle on the company logo.

It doesn't take a whole lot of economic aptitude to see(at this point) that none of the Big 3 can borrow their way out of this mess.

:doh:

You're right. Phuk it, just give GM another 14 Billion. It will all be ok. For another month. This is beyond stupid.

It's time to stop looking at GM and DCX minus the D the same way you look at Ford. GM led the charge all the way to Capitol Hill, hat in hand. Chrysler has not done or said one thing that is innovative or unique. They've become this hanger on, hoping whatever pity GM can scrounge up will somehow benefit them. I am not a company ass kisser by any stretch of the imagination. But I give Ford a lot of credit for doing their own thing and keeping the hands of Obama's version of the USSR; USASR out of this company. Sitting around waiting for the gov't to fix this mess isn't really working out, now is it? And if GMCX does go any deeper into debt to the Barrak Bloc, can we really compete with that. They'll be giving away a GEO Metro with every book of food stamps!!! Think about it, they've already begun the transformation on Wall Street. Now they are in position to take over GMCX. If you have a warranty issue, first you must go to the social security office, take a number, have a seat. When you are finally called, you will be issued an auto bridge card. Next you will be instructed which government owned repair facility to take your, er, their vehicle to. What's next? Microsoft? Apple? Harley Davidson?

If GMCX goes thru a "structured" bankruptcy, the key word there is "structured", they can get the suppliers paid, shed a lot of debt and still build cars and trucks. But if they keep begging the People's Republic of Obama to shove a little more gov't aid(read as control) up their exhaust pipe, they may as well change the name of that car company to USASR Motors and put a red star and a sickle on the company logo.

It doesn't take a whole lot of economic aptitude to see(at this point) that none of the Big 3 can borrow their way out of this mess.

:doh:

that remains to be seen, a structured bankruptcy like delphi ? that has never been done before, EVER. so now it can be ? yeah ok. you forgot about people's attitudes towards bankruptcy, think they will still buy cars/trucks ? cause right now the 'unrest' is causing people to NOT buy them......LOL, i dont think a 'structured' bankruptcy will be structured now, in these times.

of course there must be other options then just throwing money, but the government is used to doing that, and the people usually dont bitch.

Edited by dark271

that remains to be seen, a structured bankruptcy like delphi ? that has never been done before, EVER. so now it can be ? yeah ok. you forgot about people's attitudes towards bankruptcy, think they will still buy cars/trucks ? cause right now the 'unrest' is causing people to NOT buy them......LOL, i dont think a 'structured' bankruptcy will be structured now, in these times.

of course there must be other options then just throwing money, but the government is used to doing that, and the people usually dont bitch.

Shrink in size, sell or end some product lines. They are to big.

Make products that people want.

Shrink in size, sell or end some product lines. They are to big.

Make products that people want.

I don't want to be rude but...I've read this all over this statement all over the net. GM sold more cars world wide then any other manufacturer...much more to the problem then this statement...which I'm sure you realize by your first statement. It just irks me to keep reading that statement.

Edited by allin