Ford applies for patent on turbocharged pushrod V8

400 lbft on a naturally aspirated 5 litre gives a BMEP of 13.6 Bar. Not a chance! Especially on a truck V8 with a cross-plane crankshaft and just port injection running on regular! Not even the BMW V10 M5 engine gets much more than 13 Bar BMEP and that runs on premium and doesn't have the charge robbing that crossplane V8s have.

12.5 Bar BMEP for such an engine would be exceptional and that gives a torque of very nearly 370 lbft.

Hurricane with 2 Valves and 6.2 litres natually aspirated would be doing very well with 12 Bar BMEP and therefore 437 lbft. Boosted is a whole different story.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400 lbft on a naturally aspirated 5 litre gives a BMEP of 13.6 Bar. Not a chance! Especially on a truck V8 with a cross-plane crankshaft and just port injection running on regular! Not even the BMW V10 M5 engine gets much more than 13 Bar BMEP and that runs on premium and doesn't have the charge robbing that crossplane V8s have.

12.5 Bar BMEP for such an engine would be exceptional and that gives a torque of very nearly 370 lbft.

Hurricane with 2 Valves and 6.2 litres natually aspirated would be doing very well with 12 Bar BMEP and therefore 437 lbft. Boosted is a whole different story.

Please note my post "EB" Eco-Boost. I reported this some time ago on a boosted 6.2 as a Diesel alternative. Surley you must have recalled that.

Nice pics but it looks to be a V8 Engine.

http://www.motorauthority.com/gallery/2010...w-x5-m-020.html

Uh---where are the main caps?

BTW: Versa--don't give me too much credit. I live across the street from a science museum. They have a prominent display that I drive by almost daily that has a long lever which enables a five year old to lift a car.

Uh---where are the main caps?

BTW: Versa--don't give me too much credit. I live across the street from a science museum. They have a prominent display that I drive by almost daily that has a long lever which enables a five year old to lift a car.

Understanding a mechanical concept is one thing, but applying that knowledge to solve complex mechanical problems is something entirely different. Shit, most people in here can't provide an idea unless they've read it somewhere first.

Understanding a mechanical concept is one thing, but applying that knowledge to solve complex mechanical problems is something entirely different. Shit, most people in here can't provide an idea unless they've read it somewhere first.

Take a breather. Most people in here, actually purchase vehicles, Something within their budget.. That may sound foreign to you, but it seemed to work for a lot of people. The ones that Rent/Lease are always wanting something to be just a little more than they could actually afford comfortably.

A concept people seemed to have lost in the last 20 years.

This overseas bullshit of kids right out of H.S. talking about the next BMW they are going to get is so far out of reality. it's amazing..

So just calm down

Edited by Critic

What are you talking about? I don't follow BMW, because I don't give a rat's ass about BMW
You wouldn't have to know anything about BMW to simply count the cylinders :hysterical:

But since you fail to appreciate my generosity in letting you off the first time, I'll also point out that you posted the wrong engine entirely :hysterical::finger::hysterical:

This is the S85 V10, used in the current BMW M5 & M6

M5V10Exploded.jpg

You wouldn't have to know anything about BMW to simply count the cylinders :hysterical:

But since you fail to appreciate my generosity in letting you off the first time, I'll also point out that you posted the wrong engine entirely :hysterical::finger::hysterical:

This is the S85 V10, used in the current BMW M5 & M6

GOD DAMN FUCKING SOB what did I put in my POST? huh I said 8 cylinders then also edited it to say x 5

Get off the fucking juice and take a fucking hike,.. in your mind everything revolves around you, drinking sex with your g/f and now an excuse of stopping smoking..

Your not the end of the world.

Edited by Critic

GOD DAMN FUCKING SOB what did I put in my POST? huh I said 8 cylinders then also edited it to say x 5

Get off the fucking juice and take a fucking hike,.. in your mind everything revolves around you, drinking sex with your g/f and now an excuse of stopping smoking..

Your not the end of the world.

:hysterical: No, I just find it terribly entertaining finding new ways to make you explode in a fit of rage. The truth is that I actually admire you. Your disapproval means the world to me :yup:

:hysterical: No, I just find it terribly entertaining finding new ways to make you explode in a fit of rage. The truth is that I actually admire you. Your disapproval means the world to me :yup:

Your also making a fool of yourself, but you won't see it. It doesn't work that way. I try to be easy with you, then you pop up with this cute shit of I'll go easy on you, or whatever..

Look man.. your probably a decent guy in person, but I find it hard for me to watch your writing... I expect your actually a decent guy to be around, so why not prove me right?

Look man.. your probably a decent guy in person, but I find it hard for me to watch your writing... I expect your actually a decent guy to be around, so why not prove me right?
You have too much faith in people. The only people that can stand to be around me don't know me well enough :yup: Edited by Versa-Tech

Good post Jon,

I know you speak from experience with J/LR and others.

Quite impressive the money J/LR spent developing their 5.0 and they still couldn't get to 400 lbft.

Edited by jpd80

The 400 lb/ft 5.0 Coyote is boosted. Perhaps you missed that.

Sorry Blue II, and yeah I did miss the boosted reference.

FoA must replace the 5.4 4V Boss engines next year and have come up with a great replacement

all secret squirrel stuff but will advise when closer.

Edited by jpd80

The 400 lb/ft 5.0 Coyote is boosted. Perhaps you missed that.

I'm lost, I though Coyote was the code name for a special direct injection 5L V8 engine with turbocharging that was similar to a diesel engine that used menthol injection? I've also heard it called the code name for the naturally aspirated 5L V8 thats going into the the 2011 Mustang, and the new Mustang was supposed to put out 400HP and the same amount of Torque?

Edited by silvrsvt

Well, as long as the 5.0L in the F-150 has more torque on regular gas than the existing 5.4L, and also produces HP numbers that are more competitive with its competitors (assuming that any survive) then it will be a success. Since the 5.4L produces 365ish lbs of torque, I am hoping that the coyote is in the 370-375 range. I know that that's likely wishful thinking and that it'll be pushing it to make it to 365. Still, if can achieve that and be more efficient and lighter than the 5.4L, at least progress was made somewhere.

Now, looking at a boosted 5.0L V8, in this day and age, I'm not quite as impressed with 400 lbs of torque. However, and here's the rub, given what we've seen of the torque curves on the other EB engines that have been released, if they are getting that 400 lbs at 1600 rpm and carrying it all the way through 6000 rpm, then that's an entirely different ballgame.

This is the first I have seen any mention of the coyote 5.0 being boosted. Is this a larger application of Ecoboost with DI and turbos or is it supercharged a la GT500? Either way, 400 ft lb sounds pretty anemic in this day and age when even the 1.5L smaller 3.5L EB is putting out what appears to be an electronically limited 350 ft lb. Maybe I missed something here but are we talking about 4V heads or is this a smaller displacement version of the 6.2L with 2V heads? Something sounds a bit fishy to me... :shades:

Well, as long as the 5.0L in the F-150 has more torque on regular gas than the existing 5.4L, and also produces HP numbers that are more competitive with its competitors (assuming that any survive) then it will be a success. Since the 5.4L produces 365ish lbs of torque, I am hoping that the coyote is in the 370-375 range. I know that that's likely wishful thinking and that it'll be pushing it to make it to 365. Still, if can achieve that and be more efficient and lighter than the 5.4L, at least progress was made somewhere.

Now, looking at a boosted 5.0L V8, in this day and age, I'm not quite as impressed with 400 lbs of torque. However, and here's the rub, given what we've seen of the torque curves on the other EB engines that have been released, if they are getting that 400 lbs at 1600 rpm and carrying it all the way through 6000 rpm, then that's an entirely different ballgame.

I said months ago 400hp, and 365 lb ft in NA form. My source is very reliable, so I'm sticking with that prediction. :yup: I have no idea what Blue II is referring to. It sounds like somebody has been outsourcing technology from Honeywell :ohsnap: