Nissan reportedly commits to new Titan even if Dodge goes down

TomServo92

What good does that really do though? By the time they set up any of that tooling, the truck will need a redesign again.

I was going to say, geesh, if/when Chrysler goes belly up, Nissan is going to start R&D on a pickup that will eventually replace their already archaic entry? Man, now THAT'S reassuring! :hysterical:

I really don't know why Nissan continues to try to compete in the pickup truck catagory anyway. I don't know the numbers, but I bet the Titans best year isn't as good as the F-150s worst year by a long shot. It just seems pointless.

I think Titan sales peaked at somewhere around 120,000 in probably its second year. It has been downhill ever since.

Edited by NickF1011

I think Titan sales peaked at somewhere around 120,000 in probably its second year. It has been downhill ever since.

If that number is right, its respetable. I believe the last time the topic came up though, the titan was running at less than 5,000 units a month which makes the whole case a LOT tougher. Nissan just isn't on the "trucker" radar.

Now...to just play Devil's Advocate for one moment. If Nissan took that attitude, then why shouldn't Ford or any domestic automaker just give up on small cars since nobody took them seriously for the past 20-odd years?

Don't count anyone out as they may have the next "big thing" that overtakes the established products. Let's hope cars like the Fiesta do that for Ford. Let's hope that whatever Nissan has in the future doesn't.

If the Fiat/Chrysler deal falls flat and Chrysler goes bankrupt, Nissan may come in and buy the Dodge brand to get their hands on Ram. Hyundai would go after Chrysler and Jeep brands to give them an upper end vehicle (Chrysler) and a foot in the door of the lucrative SUV/CUV marketplace with Jeep.

Mahindra....they should buy Dodge just for the Ram name to import their trucks over in.

Us American's like to have an air of patrioticness (I just made up a word, I know) when times are lean, and buying a Mahindra pickup instead of a Dodge pickup is going to be a lot less palpatable...even though the Mahindra will sell well because of it's mpg and dimensions.

Chuck

The Titan is actually a pretty nice truck. Dodge trucks only value is the Cummins engine agreement. Not sure if that can be sold/transferred. The Titan plant in Canton, MS actually also builds small cars so it's not a big loser for them, I don't think. I think the Titan's unlikely to be a complete product line any time soon but it's probably the second or third best in it's limited position.

That Nissan's not gonna abandon it in the face of the demise of GMC/Chrysco isn't really a story.

I don't see anything car-like in the Titan, from the frame, to the engine, or transmission. Maybe to you it's styled more like a car, I dunno. Dana 44 axle, Tower fully-boxed steel frame, and 385lb torque V8, up to 9500lb tow capacity.

I mean, compared to the last-generation equivalent F-150 it was basically on par. It's not really the Ridgeline of trucks, in any way (other than some dubious styling).

Nissan also does something that most of the rest of the industry doesn't, they share a lot between the Titan and the Frontier. The frontier platform is basically a reduced titan one, as is the frame under the Xterra and a portion of the pathfinder. Nissan's biggest mistakes, in order, are...

1) They failed to offer the Titan as a stripper model with the 4.0L V6 from the Frontier. That would have pushed a great deal more volume for them, especially in the fleet space.

2) They had poor launch quality control, that gave a lot of their first customers in that market a bad taste for their future products.

3) They did not lead ANY class in their respective market, save for most powerful base engine, which really isn't that big of a deal there.

The Titan, in its second year, was a wholely competent and capable entry into its market segment. It just didn't offer the flexibility of configuration that the domestics do and was fighting an uphill battle in an entrenched market. Then, with the rise in oil prices, they didn't have a model that offered better fuel economy, which hurts. Follow that up with a recession that takes out a lot of recreational buyers, and you're left with just a market of bargain hunters and Nissan loyalists. That's not how you build a brand or a model.

Exactly. And the F-150 was not a car, it was the best truck on the market. The Nissan is a good, but not class-leading, product, with limited marketing and configurations/base/fleet options. They're not a real threat to Ford but compared to the Toyota, or Dodge products for that matter, I'd rather have the Nissan if I were shopping for a truck and for some reason ruled out the F-150.

With Dodge/GMC prospects Obama'd, I would expect more consumers to realize that as well. Why kill off a half-plant product which might see 1.5 larger competitors evaporate (and more if Toyota gives up, which isn't completely improbable given their much higher goals)?

Yeah, given the Titan's earlier issues and Nissan's limited following in the US, it seems to me that they have a rather uphill climb ahead of them. They're going to need a complete external makeover and a marketing campaign that pushes it as "all new!" to be able to start moving the metal more. Supposedly, there is an upgrade for their engine in the works (especially since it looks less and less likely that their deal with dodge will happen) that will bring it about mid-pack with the competitors. I'm filing that in the "I'll believe it when I see it" catagory. IF that does come about, however, that will leave the 5.4L squarely in the dust of the competitors. We do know that the 5.0L is coming out, but, I am finding it difficult to imagine that it will have competitive torque numbers with the competition.

If the Fiat/Chrysler deal falls flat and Chrysler goes bankrupt, Nissan may come in and buy the Dodge brand to get their hands on Ram. Hyundai would go after Chrysler and Jeep brands to give them an upper end vehicle (Chrysler) and a foot in the door of the lucrative SUV/CUV marketplace with Jeep.

that has to be the only reason Ghosn hasn't thrown his hat in the ring yet.