Acura Dropping Model Due To Slow Sales

range

Acura is dropping the RSX after the 2006 model run. :rip:

Like the many Acura models, RSX sales have seen a double digit drop this year, sliding 15% in March and 11% for the year.

Any guess when the RL will be axed? Sales for the RL are down 37.4% for 2006.

Edited by range

Acura is dropping the RSX after the 2006 model run.

Like the many Acura models, RSX sales have seen a double digit drop this year, sliding 15% in March and 11% for the year.

I think Honda has obsoleted Acura by not offering anything really different to justify the MUCH higher cost. I bet the MkZ will really put a hurting on TL sales and the MkX will really hurt MDX sales when they come out. Maybe that's why Honda sued Ford over the name thing?

In addition, Acura is hurt by quality, reliability and customer service scores that fall below where it should be for a near-luxury brand.

For example, Lincoln offers far superior long-term Reliability than Acura. Mercury scores higher than Acura in long-term Reliability.

2005089a.gif

Acura is dropping the RSX after the 2006 model run.

Any link to the source? This is something I'd love to post on some other forums.

After working for Ford and Acura, I can't believe they are ranked higher then ford. I think the RSX is a good car and quite cheap, S models still cost about 24k, the anemic celica could hit an unbelievealbe 28,000 with all the trimmings on a crappy car. I thought it was going to be the RL by looking at the title. After all the hype about the new RDX too, and that turned out to look outright silly. I don't see any improvement over last years numbers for them, and with Infinity restyling the G-series for 2007 and all the new Lexus product, good luck Acura.

Edited by kevinb120

From what I've read the RSX was being dropped due to the fact that it no longer fits in with Acura's 'image', and now that the Civic Si is on sale it negates the need for the car.

If you ask me it sounds like Honda is trying to mask the fact that they made a mistake. The current RSX has a low rent interior, performance that puts it behind most mainstream midsize sedans, and an over inflated price tag. Why buy an Acura when you can get a Scion tC with a blower kit and pocket a few grand.

Honestly, Honda has done very little to distinguish the brand and the reluctance to offer a V-8 further proves that point. Look at Lexus and then look at Acura, and there you have it.

The info is internal to Acura and its dealers and not link-able that I know of. In a communique from the Acura Interactive Network, Dick Colliver has officially announced:

"In our quest to provide you and our customers with the very best and most appropriate Acura models, we have decided to eliminate the RSX from the 2007 line-up :rip: , thus streamlining our product offering to better fit with Acura’s evolving and more upscale image."

Love the consistency of the Acura spin doctors...how does the introduction of the Acura Civic (aka Acura CSX), the 4 cylinder Acura CRV (aka RDX) and falling Acura RL sales fit in with their new found upscale image?

Edited by range

In addition, Acura is hurt by quality, reliability and customer service scores that fall below where it should be for a near-luxury brand.

For example, Lincoln offers far superior long-term Reliability than Acura. Mercury scores higher than Acura in long-term Reliability.

2005089a.gif

Interestingly, the reliability ratings from the April 2006 issue of Consumer Reports show that Acura outranks both Lincoln and Mercury.

Unless, of course, we only believe those quality surveys that give good ratings to our favored marques.

No one on this site would ever do THAT, now would they?!

Edited by grbeck

Interestingly, the reliability ratings from the April 2006 issue of Consumer Reports show that Acura outranks both Lincoln and Mercury.

Unless, of course, we only believe those quality surveys that give good ratings to our favored marques.

No one on this site would ever do THAT, now would they?!

I guess that would be you based on your post.

Once Consumer Reports releases their methodology and statistics (other than cute little bubbles that seem to appeal to the less sophisticted types) than perhaps Consumer Reports will have some worthy data to read.

Until then, tiny bubbles are better left for Don Ho.

Does Consumer Reports have any tiny bubbles yet for Customer Satisfaction?

2005092a.gif

Edited by range

I guess that would be you based on your post.

Once Consumer Reports releases their methodology and statistics (other than cute little bubbles that seem to appeal to the less sophisticted types) than perhaps Consumer Reports will have some worthy data to read.

Until then, tiny bubbles are better left for Don Ho.

Does Consumer Reports have any tiny bubbles yet for Customer Satisfaction?

2005092a.gif

The results reflected in those "tiny bubbles" are more thorough and indepth than those posted by JD Powers. Each dot represents a certain percentage of owners who reported a problem in a particular area. You can access the Consumer Reports survey online to see the questions that owners must answer. It's all very straightforward.

Considering that Lincoln and Mercury buyers tend to be Lawrence Welk fans who are lucky to hit 65 mph, it's highly doubtful that they push their cars all that much. Plus, the two of the most popular models from those brands are based on 25-year-old platforms and powered by engines that debuted almost 15 years ago. These models SHOULD have the bugs worked out from them by now. Under those conditions, I'd hope that Lincoln and Mercury would score well.

Incidentally, there was a recent post on Joe Sherlock's Through the Windshield blog. He asked a GM engineer - off the record - which reliability survey results the company REALLY considered to be more valid. The answer? The one conducted by Consumer Reports.

So now who's less sophisticated...?

I'm sure Honda had to think real deep and hard if they wanted to re-engineer an Acura model off the new Civic platform since the RSX was based off the old Civic platform. Guess we figured out the answer to that one.

I saw in Canada they rebadge the current Civic as an Acura. Pretty pathetic.

story14982-picture21138-L.jpg

Edited by Intrepidatious

Now, look at those three nameplates...

The TL is a reskinned Accord, one of the three top selling sedans in the US. The TSX is the Euro Accord with nothing different but the badges. The MDX shares volume with the Pilot and partially with the Ridgeline.

Face it, where is Acura falling behind in its segment? It concentrates completely on reskins of lower market FWD platforms (yes, I know that the MDX came first, but, its now shared with the pilot, so the point still kind of works). What's the RL? Why, the platform that it sits on is a massaged version of the accord platform, so, its really not that much different either.

Face it, with Lexus all RWD (save for the volume ES350), Infiniti all RWD or R biased AWD, along with BMW, Mercedes and JAguar, Acura is going to have a problem convincing anyone that they are a premium make. There are only a few FWD primary lux lines out there and they meet with mixed success. Audi, which drives like their RWD and has some nice transmissions and amazing interiors, but they still are low volume in the US. Volvo, which is still seeing some wishy-washy sales, but remains profitable on the back of a solid safety reputation with good economy numbers, but still doesn't make a whole lot of volume. The domestic makes offer a mix of RWD and FWD, but, Cadillac is making it on edgy styling and incentives. Their two best sellers are the CTS and STS, both are RWD. The DTS is doing OK, but, its just a luxo barge and sells to a relatively niche market. Lincoln is gasping for air, but seeing some success with their Zephyr and a lot of fleet volume with the RWD Town Car.

Face it, Acura needs a V8 and a RWD platform for their TL and their RL. Everything else can be FWD and make it if the product is well done.

I'm sure Honda had to think real deep and hard if they wanted to re-engineer an Acura model off the new Civic platform since the RSX was based off the old Civic platform. Guess we figured out the answer to that one.

I saw in Canada they rebadge the current Civic as an Acura. Pretty pathetic.

What's more pathetic are the people that buy them....... :doh:

What's more pathetic are the people that buy them....... :doh:

So this is what Acura spokeman must have meant as a car that will "fit with Acura’s evolving and more upscale image" What a load of crap.

The results reflected in those "tiny bubbles" are more thorough and indepth than those posted by JD Powers. Each dot represents a certain percentage of owners who reported a problem in a particular area. You can access the Consumer Reports survey online to see the questions that owners must answer. It's all very straightforward.

Considering that Lincoln and Mercury buyers tend to be Lawrence Welk fans who are lucky to hit 65 mph, it's highly doubtful that they push their cars all that much. Plus, the two of the most popular models from those brands are based on 25-year-old platforms and powered by engines that debuted almost 15 years ago. These models SHOULD have the bugs worked out from them by now. Under those conditions, I'd hope that Lincoln and Mercury would score well.

Incidentally, there was a recent post on Joe Sherlock's Through the Windshield blog. He asked a GM engineer - off the record - which reliability survey results the company REALLY considered to be more valid. The answer? The one conducted by Consumer Reports.

So now who's less sophisticated...?

wow grbeck you're just a wealth of non-information aren't you. You even completely misrepresent Consumer Reports methodology and are seemingly unable to provide the number of problems reported per vehicle or any meaningful metric (other than a tiny bubble) LOL. Instead we get your opinion cast as fact. Reminds me of the usefulness of your rigourous "test drive" of the new Civic while sitting at an Auto Show.

As for JDPower , this link seems to imply Honda has enough respect to broadcast their results on the increasingly rare occasion they are actually recognized by JDPower:

LINK

LM, except for the LS, have always been jazzed up Fords...ALWAYS. You all are taking Acura to the woodshed for doing the same damn thing that LM has done for years.

The real kicker is Acura (AND LM) have survived just fine for decades doing this, despite the criticism.

Although if one of the bunch is going to die first, I'd bet it's Lincoln or Mercury, not Acura that will kick the bucket. Heck, here in Canada (where the supposed bastard child CSX is sold), Mercury has already been gone for some time.

LM, except for the LS, have always been jazzed up Fords...ALWAYS. You all are taking Acura to the woodshed for doing the same damn thing that LM has done for years.

I don't ever remember a Lincoln Focus. But here we see an Acura Civic. Do you not see a difference?

The point is the Acura spokesman said they are dropping the RSX because they are moving upmarket.

Clearly one of the worst re-badge designs from any manufacturer in years, the newest Acura is an economy car, with imperceptable differentiation with the Civic. This is hardly consistent with the Acura spokesman's claims.

Edited by range

I don't ever remember a Lincoln Focus.

Ok, it's like fish in a barrel with you, Range, but here we go:

Lincoln Mercury lineup for 2006:

Lincoln Zephyr=Mercury Milan=Ford Fusion

Lincoln Town Car=Mercury Grand Marquis=Ford Crown Vic

Lincoln Navigator=Ford Expedition

Lincoln Mark LT = Ford F-150 Crew Cab

Lincoln Aviator=Mercury Mountaineer=Ford Explorer

Mercury Mariner=Ford Escape

Mercury Monteray=Ford Freestar

Mercury Montego=Ford Five Hundred

Except for the Lincoln LS, the LM lineup is based on Ford. And unlike Acura, we're talking about in ALL cases the vast majority of the powertrains, interior bits, and body panels are the exact same. There is no functional benefit to stepping up to an LM from a Ford.

And judging from LM sales, most folks know this.

Edited by bec5150

Ok, it's like fish in a barrel with you, Range, but here we go:

Lincoln Mercury lineup for 2006:

Lincoln Zephyr=Mercury Milan=Ford Fusion

Lincoln Town Car=Mercury Grand Marquis=Ford Crown Vic

Lincoln Navigator=Ford Expedition

Lincoln Mark LT = Ford F-150 Crew Cab

Lincoln Aviator=Mercury Mountaineer=Ford Explorer

Mercury Mariner=Ford Escape

Mercury Monteray=Ford Freestar

Mercury Montego=Ford Five Hundred

Except for the Lincoln LS, the LM lineup is based on Ford. And unlike Acura, we're talking about in ALL cases the vast majority of the powertrains, interior bits, and body panels are the exact same. There is no functional benefit to stepping up to an LM from a Ford.

And judging from LM sales, most folks know this.

So where is the Lincoln Focus??????????????????? We know where the Acura Civic is !!!!!!!!! LOL

You seem to miss the point of what the Acura Spokeman said (no not you, the other Acura spokesman) he said Acura was moving UPSCALE.

and according to you --- And unlike Acura, we're talking about in ALL cases the vast majority of the powertrains, interior bits, and body panels are the exact same.

Exact same you say??????

So according to you the wheelbase, the entire interior, the exterior sheet metal, the dorrs, the head lights, tail lights , of the Lincoln Town Car are exactly the same as the CV? hmmm

So according to you the Lincoln Navigator has the same 6 speed transmission, the same instrument panel, the same seats, the same leather, the same headlight, tailights, the grille, wheels, steering wheel, and the same exact exterior as the Expedition? hmmmm, I didn't know that.

The Zephyr has the same interior, front end, rear end as the Fusion? hmmmm

The Aviator has the same 32 V DOHC V8 that the Explorer has ? Wow thats a surprise!

But the Acura RL is completely different from this Honda? ahhhhh okay I guess ignorance is bliss.

4041007_1_l.jpg

Edited by range

right, there's no LM Focus, therefore this is completely different? GIVE ME A BREAK!

the CSX isn't even for sale in the USA, although it's done very well in Canada, something you've never addressed. You can make fun of it all day, fact is it's pulling in sales and putting money in the bank.

All of Acura's current lineup is *at least* as different from the Honda lineup as LM's is to Fords. The TSX, TL, RL, don't share ANY of their sheetmetal or engines with their Honda counterparts. The MDX came before the Pilot and the Civic only recently got what was previously offered in the RSX. If you want to complain about Acura badge-engineering that's fine, but you have to admit it's nowhere near as bad as MOST of the LM products.

You want to bitch about Acura, fine - don't start excusing all of Ford's badge engineered cars. Hell, by that logic we should start ragging on the Euro Focus, S40 and Triplets for being Mazda ripoffs (ooops the Japanese part of "Ford").

Don't worry, Range...I'll save you the trouble....

Wait for it..............

Drumroll Please...................................................

TA DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L_IMAGE.fac4e2432c.93.88.fa.80.2e1d4d07b.jpg:extinguish:

right, there's no LM Focus, therefore this is completely different? GIVE ME A BREAK!

All of Acura's current lineup is *at least* as different from the Honda lineup as LM's is to Fords.

It is ?

I guess you missed the Honda emblem on the grille of the "RL" LOL

4041007_1_l.jpg

Honda ^^^ Acura vvv (can't they AT LEAST change the wheels?)

WKA2005081736149_pv.jpg

Honda vvv Acura ^^^ (Looks like Acura is moving up market huh?)

WKA2005082945801_pv.jpg

Would you care to see the interior pictures???

Just ask and I will gladly provide them for you.

Edited by range