Is the Kuga officially coming to the USA?

JimmyL57

As I said over on GMI - I own an Escape. If I needed to replace it tomorrow I would get another Escape. If the Escape looks like a Kuga I will buy a different vehicle - If I wanted a CX-7 or RAV4 that's what I would have bought. Ford risks alienating it's current small SUV buyers. I wish the new Explorer were closer in size to the first gen Explorer, which would make it a logical step up for someone who wants SUV styling.

There is nothing indicating Everest is coming here, nor is that a logical vehicle for someone to buy in lieu of an Escape.

Why do not Ford sale both Escape and Kuga in the states. They can be made in same assembly line. So Ford can make escape for people who llike escape and make Kuga for people who like Kuga. I do not see any hurt

Why do not Ford sale both Escape and Kuga in the states. They can be made in same assembly line. So Ford can make escape for people who llike escape and make Kuga for people who like Kuga. I do not see any hurt

Escape rides on CD2 (Mazda 626 platform) and the current Kuga rides on C1. Now when we get the Kuga as the escape, it will have been facelifted and moved to C3.

Ford has been trying to cut down on costs, and adapting the same basic vehicle for the global markets seems to be the answer.

Edited by AM2

• 1 month later...
I completely disagree with this statement. I have driven both the previous generation (2006-7) and the current generation (2009). The styling changes between the 2 are minor. The new 4cylinder (2.5L) and 6 speed automatic (6F35) are awesome !

Every person I know who owns an Escape would consider it a SUV and not a CUV.

Again, the point of flexible manufacturing is to give the customer choices. Escape, Kuga, C-Max. Each is unique. Let the customer decide !

I say let the Escape continue with "trucky" styling. Bring the Kuga over (well, the redesigned model) as a Mercury, and have the Lincoln be whatever's in the works.

That way you'll do a few things (not necessarily in order):

1) You'll give current Escape buyers a future product to buy, since it's evident that the market will support a trucky-looking small C("S")UV.

2) You'll give Mercury a new, exclusive product, and the market has proven it'll support that type of (styled) vehicle because of Rav-4 and CR-V

3) You'll (theoretically) serve two "different" markets that way.

As I said over on GMI - I own an Escape. If I needed to replace it tomorrow I would get another Escape. If the Escape looks like a Kuga I will buy a different vehicle - If I wanted a CX-7 or RAV4 that's what I would have bought. Ford risks alienating it's current small SUV buyers. I wish the new Explorer were closer in size to the first gen Explorer, which would make it a logical step up for someone who wants SUV styling.

There is nothing indicating Everest is coming here, nor is that a logical vehicle for someone to buy in lieu of an Escape.

Spot on. Ford has stated that with its bigger vehicles there would be more regional difference using the world platform. So while Ford will probably use the Kuga platform for next Escape, the Escape will look more like a small SUV than the Kuga CUV. Ford already has the Edge which is a smaller CUV. No way would Ford use the Kuga name over here I would hope. The Escape name has too much brand identitiy and the Escape is too popular to mess with too much. The Escape has such a multi purpose, capable look to it that customers love. It looks something like the Bronco ll of years ago. Use the Kuga platform, but make it look like an Escape and call it the Escape. To do otherwise would be suicidal and destroy a very popular brand.

• 6 months later...

That's what I think. Make the Escape designed to beat the Rav4. Make the Kuga designed to beat the CRV.

No! Say it ain't so Ford! The Kuga is not a compact SUV, it's a CUV look-a-like that is all ready flooded in the market! Please keep the Escape style, size, and height!

If I wanted a car I'd be driving a fusion! I don't want to loose ground clearance & cargo room!

Reading posts from those oveseas that have the Kuga say how sucky the sales numbers really are, and the major discounts on new ones on the dealers lots!!!

If the Escape is doomed, bring back the Bronco!

Page 23 in the Winter 2010 edition of "My Ford", has a picture of the C-MAX and notes that it will be available after the launch of the 2012 Focus.

"My Ford" is published by Ford Motor Company.

I thought you people bought Ford products.hysterical.gif If you did, you would get the magazine.reading.gif