Bring back the Excursion - 2010 Excursion

mizzitch

Ford Management -

Build the Excursion! It is a big part of what makes America great. The city dwellers can have their Prius' or Prei, whatever the plural is for small and cramped. The Excursion says traditional American family with 3 kids and two dogs all over it.

The Expedition with IRS and IFS is not an SUV. It is an overweight underpowered car!

If customers are willing to buy a $50k 2009 F-350 and convert it to an Excursion for an additional $27k (see customautosbytim.com), a new Ex would sell for $55k directly from Ford lots without issue.

Do not claim that selling 50,000 units per year is too low. Many brands sell well under that and manage to be profitable - take the Ridgeline for example.

The Chevy Surburban is more of an SUV, with its solid rear axle, than the Exped.

An Exped could never plow snow or pull a 10,000 # trailer with ease.

Well said, The Expedition EL is a very weak replacement for the Excursion

It's great that Ford ditched the Excursion many years ago, otherwise the company would be in a world of hurt like the other two domestic manufacturers that counted on large trucks and SUVs to pay their bills. Ford also learned their lesson by getting burnt on specialty market vehicles like the GT and the Thunderbird and even the Excursion which became the poster child for American companies that were out of touch with the reality of higher gas prices. 15mpg vehicles are expensive daily drivers when gas is over $3 a gallon. Since a lot of people can't use their houses as ATMs anymore, the need to tow a bunch of heavy toys has dropped too.

It's great that Ford ditched the Excursion many years ago, otherwise the company would be in a world of hurt like the other two domestic manufacturers that counted on large trucks and SUVs to pay their bills. Ford also learned their lesson by getting burnt on specialty market vehicles like the GT and the Thunderbird and even the Excursion which became the poster child for American companies that were out of touch with the reality of higher gas prices. 15mpg vehicles are expensive daily drivers when gas is over $3 a gallon. Since a lot of people can't use their houses as ATMs anymore, the need to tow a bunch of heavy toys has dropped too.

It is not-so-great that you are unwilling to let individuals decide their car purchase. And you promote punishing those who live within their means.

I suppose the fact that my daily driver is lucky to get 10mpg means I'll have to use my house as an ATM without doubt.

FYI the American Companies were producing vehicles that import tarrifs and CAFE law made them the most profit. Also, they are the cars American's chose to buy, again not the evil big company's wrong.

You can burn natural gas or coal to make the electricity for your battery car and think you are saving the world, but you are just the fool who paid more for a less capable car!

I was thumbing through some magazines last weekend and saw a bunch of companies that will be happy to build massive SUVs. I mean, if you can afford 10-15mpg vehicles these days, why not get an SUV that is fully customized exactly the way you want it? Nothing says a family SUV more than one with a flatscreen TV lounge/bar, kitchen, and dog kennel in the back. This is America! If you want to pay, someone will build it. Why depend on big manufacturers like Ford to deliver all of the luxury and utility you deserve when there are plenty of small businesses, the backbone of the economy, you can count on? Companies like Ford are all about serving the PC masses who want fuel efficient vehicles, not the discriminating customer who demands the best of everything.

You know Ford could.....

Build the a Excursion on the F250 Platform. Sell it with the 6.2l or the diesel. As a standard 3/4 ton.

Price it accordingly as a WORK solution vehicle and not a soccer mom transport and they could sell enough to make it quite profitable.

If it was 3/4 ton based and insured as such it would be exempt from being part of the standard CAFE weight for 1/2 ton down vehicles.

No one would have to do conversions and Ford could make a profit on such a vehicle.

The Expedition EL is a dead horse vehicle 6000 lbs with 310HP and 365lb of torque. Its market share appears to be shrinking. In foreign markets this vehicle is replaced by the Ford Everest.

Get an AWD FLEX or the upcoming 2011 4x4 Explorer

Or if you want here's a better idea.

Build the T6 Ranger.

Standard Cab, Ext Cab, QuadCab

4200lbs 4x4 1.6 EB 170HP , 2.0 EB 240HP and 3.7 liter DI 290HP (The T6 platform is 4 inches wider than the current Ford Ranger, this make it closer in size to the pre 2003 F150 than the current US produced Ranger)

Build the Bronco on the T6 platform, 2 rows of seating, storage behind. 4450lbs 2.0 EB, and 3.7 liter DI

Build the Global Ford Everest, 3 rows seating on the T6 platform (3.7 liter DI) 4700lbs 3.7 liter DI. This would be similar to the current 2009 Everest only wider.

Edited by Mackintire

• 5 months later...

I would not use the word doomed. Low volume vehicles can have good profit margins that make up for the slow sales.

Vehicles such as the following are not doomed - they just have a loyal, but small following of buyers:

S550

Range Rover

G550

Ranger

It would not be necessary to redesign the Excursion, just pull parts from the Super Duty bin. 3v V10, 6.4L, 3v 5.4, Nav, new dash, etc. Easy 15,000 to 30,000 Ex's could be sold a year.

How is the S550 low volume when it's the most common car on the streets of new york city and LA?

When I bought my Expedition in 03 I really wanted an Excursion but couldn't afford the high price tag. If they could make an Excursion in the $30-40k price I bet they would do really well... like others have said they would need to make it more of a work truck rather than a luxury SUV. At a minimum they need to throw a diesel in the new Expeditions.

Update the Excursion to the 2008-2010 Super Duty front end (the 2011 front end has not grown on me yet). Make a diesel hybrid option to improve city mpg for city dwellers.

Sales of the Exped EL have to be awful vs Surburban. I hardly see any of the underpowered EL's...

Bring back the Excursion!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bring back the Ex and make it available by order only. No marketing required except a brochure at the dealer.

Probably a pipe dream, but I would like to see this happen just as much as the next guy. I came close to spending $50-$60K on a new 2010/11 Expy. However, when I reaized all of the compromises I would be making (i.e. cargo capacity, engine options, interior seating space, towing capacity, etc.) I had a change of heart and couldn't pull the trigger. Instead, I found a used Excursion for a whole lot less and I haven't looked back since. The Excursion is a utility vehicle and that is what I use it for. There is nothing better for hauling large groups of family and friends on long road trips or for towing weekend toys (boats, TTs, etc.). If you think the gas mileage is poor and too expensive for your tastes then find another vehicle that better suits your needs. There are enough of them out there to choose from.

I don't use my Excursion as an every day vehicle, but it is perfect for out of town trips or even just when you have a lot of family or friends in town to tote around. With higher gas prices the market for large SUVs has obviously become a niche market, but that doesn't mean a company can't still make a profit while pushing smaller quantities from the line. There are still plenty of people with large families and/or large toys that only an Excursion can accomodate.

Does anyone have the figures for the # of F550s, F650s, F750s, E-Series. etc. produced each year?

FORD, PLEASE BRING BACK THE EXCURSION!!

• 3 weeks later...

You can put all the safari windows you want on an Excursion but it is still just a gutless, over-weight, ill-handling station wagon. About as glamorous as shit on a bun.

I've been stuck behind enough of them in the mountains or along the river road to know they are not designed to go around a corner above 30 mph. And woe if it snows, I don't care if it's equipped with 4-wheel drive, they are the first ones you see in the ditch.

People stopped buying them after all the guys with under-sized d*cks bought them for their wives and figured out they weren't all that cool anyway. A few years back they were 1 out of every 10 cars I would see on the road but I can't remember the last time I saw one actually moving.

Obviously you have never owned or driven a diesel Excursion. I have owned 3, still have the 2005 and will keep it until it falls apart because there is nothing like it on the market. It is the best vehicle I have had for snow. Have had 2 Ford Dealer try to buy it outright in the last few months when I had in on the lot looking at new Edges. So there is some demand out there. I bought and use it to tow with and replaced a F-350 with my first one and have never looked back. Never should have been offered with anything but the V-10 or diesel. The 5.4 was too small for a vehicle this size.

• 4 weeks later...

Obviously you have never owned or driven a diesel Excursion. I have owned 3, still have the 2005 and will keep it until it falls apart because there is nothing like it on the market. It is the best vehicle I have had for snow. Have had 2 Ford Dealer try to buy it outright in the last few months when I had in on the lot looking at new Edges. So there is some demand out there. I bought and use it to tow with and replaced a F-350 with my first one and have never looked back. Never should have been offered with anything but the V-10 or diesel. The 5.4 was too small for a vehicle this size.

Just imagine an excursion with the new 6.7L diesel. It would get better MPG than many of the crossovers and sedans on the road.

A new EX would also have improved fuel economy over the older Ex's - using the 3.55 axle gearing for diesels and the choice of new engine offerings.

The 3.5L ecoboost could be the based engine. The optional engines could be 6.2L gas, 6.8L 3 valve v10 gas, 4.4L diesel, and 6.7L diesel.

IMHO most of the SUVs on the road suck fuel worse than my 2010 F-350 diesel. The disengaging front hubs are key to four wheel drive vehicle MPG :shades:

Edited by mizzitch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Exactly it is a great vacation truck or daily driver for those who work close to home. Bring back the Ex! What is the market share split between the Exped EL and Surburban? I bet the Ex could outsell the Exped EL three-fold and take back tons of market share.

Dream daily driver: Black ext and interior w/ Kings Ranch seats, 6spd auto, 6.4L diesel (since it is made in the US) and "race track only" exhaust. Factory CB and strobes!

2005 Excursion Limited, 28,000 miles, just went for $38,900 on autotrader.

More accuratly, there was one LISTED at that price. Currently, there are over 1200 listed for sale. As gas is heading towards $4.00 a gallon, I doubt FMC will make the same mistakes and start building low mileage vehicles again in large numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

Bring back the Ex! A new high MPG diesel with a factory 44 gallon tank would be a game changer for Surburban sales! Huge conventional tow rating would be a sales point as well.

Ford could offer a carbon offset tree planting option for those who want to purchase such an item with their Excursion. I would imagine that most Ex buyers own properties with enough trees to more than offset driving an Ex. Most Prius drivers hardly own a house plant!! An offset program could at least justify some kind of badge on the vehicle and keep the radicals from setting Ex's on fire like they did to Hummers.