Bring back the Excursion - 2010 Excursion

mizzitch

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Or a Super Duty with a bed cap. Just open the rear window of the cab and it becomes air conditioned. :)

I think Ford missed out on a big segment of the Excursion market when it was available by not offering a stripped down XL version with vinyl seats and rubber floors. Could have become a popular option for hauling work crews and weather-sensitive gear around job sites. Ah well.

Two kinds of people bought the Excursion:

- horse nuts

- soccer moms

Neither segment is interested in work truck features like vinyl seats and rubber floors.

Two kinds of people bought the Excursion:

- horse nuts

- soccer moms

Neither segment is interested in work truck features like vinyl seats and rubber floors.

Ummm yeah. That was my point. Ford didn't offer a trim level that might have actually appealed to customers beyond those two very narrow subsets you just listed. No fleet buyer was going to be at all interested in the Excursion as it was configured.

The Super Duty would probably only sell to horse nuts and soccer moms too if it was only sold in King Ranch and Platinum trim.

Edited by NickF1011

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have two Super Duties and two newfoundlands... an Excursion would excellent for hauling dogs and people in the MN winter instead of loading dog crates into a F350.

The way I see it Ford has three options:

1. continue on its current path with an underpower car based expedition with poor sales

2. add a diesel and the 6.2 to the expedition, plus lift it out of crossover height, and upgrade to a solid rear axle to gain ok sales

3. build a diesel excursion with air ride rear suspension, coil front suspension (great turning radius) and acheive 50,000+ vehicles sold per year

I have two Super Duties and two newfoundlands... an Excursion would excellent for hauling dogs and people in the MN winter instead of loading dog crates into a F350.

The way I see it Ford has three options:

1. continue on its current path with an underpower car based expedition with poor sales

2. add a diesel and the 6.2 to the expedition, plus lift it out of crossover height, and upgrade to a solid rear axle to gain ok sales

3. build a diesel excursion with air ride rear suspension, coil front suspension (great turning radius) and acheive 50,000+ vehicles sold per year

What planet have you been living on? The Expedition is still built on a modified F150 platform. It's not car based and it's certainly not crossover height.

And whatever poor sales the expedition has now - the Excursion you propose would be FAR worse.

• 1 month later...

Technically I don't think that there's much stopping Ford from making a Excursion-like vehicle on the F250 platform. If they change the game like I suggested in another post and kill the F150, F250 and F350 and replace them with an F100, F200 and F300 an excursion-like vehicle could be built on a newer hypothetical F200 platform.

Short version:

The F150 is almost as capable as the F250 and the F250 is too close in ability to the F350. In 2016 Ford could shrink the F150 7/8ths and make an F100, beef up the F150 into a F200 and make the F350 into a F300. F100 would tow approx 8500lbs, F200 would top 12,500, and the F350 22,700.

If the F200 could achieve 23 MPG with an Eco-boost 3.5 or even higher fuel economy with a 3.5 liter diesel, I suspect owners who wanted that want that level of capacity would move from the F150 to the newer F200 regardless of pricing. If the F100 had the (Nano) Ecoboost 2.7 liter engine making 26 MPG or 5.0 liter making 22 MPG. You'd have an option for those who wanted a smaller/lighter truck while helping to achieve CAFE mandates.

• 3 months later...

What planet have you been living on? The Expedition is still built on a modified F150 platform. It's not car based and it's certainly not crossover height.

And whatever poor sales the expedition has now - the Excursion you propose would be FAR worse.

The Exped has all independent suspension, no power = minivan or crossover,

A new diesel Excursion would triple the Exped sales which is an easy task when they sell so few of the bloated minivans!

• 2 weeks later...

The Exped has all independent suspension, no power = minivan or crossover,

A new diesel Excursion would triple the Exped sales which is an easy task when they sell so few of the bloated minivans!

No Power? I have an 04 expedition with the 5.4 triton and i wouldn't call 260 hp and 350 lb·ft no power. Nor would I say its in minivan territory. Though i would say if they put a capable diesel into the expedition i would replace the 04 in a heart beat