Bye Bye Crown Viv

01FOCI

Tis the begginning of the end? The Dodges get 25mpg on the Hwy with multi-displacement tech and only cost $1,000 more and have a freakin 5.7 ltr. Oh and a top speed of 145mph... Boy I sure hope the old body on frame vic can keep maintance costs down or its off to the scrap pile! Time will tell! :doh:

News

OSP Adds New 'Police Package' Patrol Car

04/27/2006

Captain Gerry Gregg

Patrol Services Division

Office: (503) 378-3725 ext. 4203

Photograph links valid 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police

http://www.flashnews.net/images/news/DodgeCharger.drside.JPG

http://www.flashnews.net/images/news/Dodge...drsidefront.JPG

In addition to the commonly seen Ford Crown Victoria patrol car, Oregon State Police (OSP) Troopers will soon be patrolling the highways with a newly introduced police package vehicle that may begin hitting the road in May.

The Oregon State Police Patrol Services Division recently purchased forty-five 2006 Dodge Chargers for patrolling Oregon highways. Forty-three new Dodge Chargers will be marked in the familiar "OSP Blue" body color with bright yellow graphics, door star emblems, and overhead light bars. Two vehicles will be equipped unmarked patrol vehicles as part of the Department's Aggressive Driving Plan (ADEP) program.

"The patrol car is our troopers ‘office' from which they work under extreme and dangerous conditions," said Captain Gerry Gregg, Director of the OSP Patrol Services Division. "The Dodge Charger is one of the wide range of different makes and models the Department uses for providing public safety services in emergency and non-emergent situations, and are specially equipped ‘police package' vehicles to meet specific needs for our trooper's safety and patrol-related needs."

Production of the police packaged 2006 Dodge Charger was begun in the fourth quarter of 2005 and recently made available for delivery to police departments around the country. Since 1978, police departments have looked to the Michigan State Police Patrol Vehicle Evaluation Program for on-road testing of a variety of vehicles used by law enforcement to evaluate acceleration, speed performance, braking and vehicle dynamics.

"The performance evaluation results were very encouraging and the timing of Dodge Charger's availability occurred when our Department needed to order future replacements for aging patrol cars," Captain Gregg said.

Some of the 2006 Dodge Charger features include:

* 5.7-liter (345 cubic inch) HEMI Multi-Displacement V8 Engine and 5-speed automatic transmission. Michigan State Police testing indicated the vehicle is capable of going 0-60 in 6.44 seconds, 0-100 in slightly over 16 seconds, and posted a best-in-class top speed of over 145-mph.

* A Multi-Displacement System that at cruising speed shuts the system down to 4 of the eight cylinders for increased fuel economy. Estimated EPA fuel economy is 17-mpg City and 25-mpg Highway.

* All-Speed Traction Control, Electronic Stability Control, and a 4-wheel ABS braking system to match the vehicles acceleration performance.

* Passive and active safety features, including front and side curtain airbags, for OSP troopers and transported individuals.

Prior to hitting the road, the OSP Fleet Services Section installs all other safety, communication, and warning devices including:

* Prisoner partitions.

* Emergency lighting system and siren.$

* Radio communications equipment.

* Rear plastics prisoner transportation seats using factory installed safety belts.

* Radar and in-car video systems.

Once fully equipped to hit Oregon's highways, the 2006 Dodge Charger each cost approximately $30,600. The 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor each cost approximately $29,600.

"There is a limited group of vehicles made by manufacturers that fall into the ‘police package' category," said Captain Gregg. "Our decision is made keeping in mind research facts, public safety needs, and fiscal responsibility."

Since 1931, the Oregon State Police have used many different types of vehicles to patrol our state highways. From the 1927 Buick driven by Captain Joe McMahon of the Oregon Traffic Division to the present, you can see how the Oregon State Police mode of transportation has changed on our website

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/CVPI/FutureOfCVPI.doc

To: All Ford Motor Company Government Accounts

Subject: Future of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (CVPI)

On January 23, 2006, Ford Motor Company announced the details of our "Way Forward" revitalization plan. "Way Forward" is a sweeping, innovative plan designed to strengthen all Ford operations and ensure we retain our position as America's Car Company. The plan impacts virtually every aspect of our business, including vehicle assembly plants and production capacity.

Since the "Way Forward" announcement, we recognize there has been extensive speculation regarding the future of many Ford products, including the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. The purpose of this letter is to clarify Ford's position on CVPI and ensure you have accurate information. The bottom line:

• Ford Motor Company is committed to the law enforcement community.

• Ford Motor Company will continue to produce the CVPI well into the future.

The CVPI will continue to be assembled at our St. Thomas Assembly Plant. The decision to move to a single shift operation at St. Thomas is designed to smooth the production process and ensure a more consistent product flow. Even with one shift of assembly operations, Ford will have sufficient production to meet all your police car order demands.

The Crown Victoria Police Interceptor remains the only body-on-frame, police car rear crash tested at 75 mph. It has the largest interior space at 109.8 cubic feet and largest trunk at 20.6 cubic feet. It also has exclusive safety options including ballistic door panels and a fire suppression system. While we're confident CVPI is the best police vehicle on the road today, we are also committed to an even better product in the future. To deliver on that commitment, we will make a significant investment in product upgrades over the next several years.

Ford Motor Company built the first police package car in 1950, and has built police cars every year since then. We have the best selling dealership network in the country, and a Ford Fleet sales and service team that can address all your vehicle needs. Ford has a full-line of vehicles: cars, SUVs, vans, wagons, and trucks to help you better serve your communities. Ford Motor Company is the leader in government sales and we plan to stay that way.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call our Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET or write Tony Gratson, Government Sales Manager at tgratson@ford.com.

Thank you for purchasing Ford products. If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Just trying to keep certain posters from spewing more rehtoric and bullshit.

Edited by StevenJ

I wonder how many departments will question why the 5.7L doesn't get 25 MPG on the hywy? I have never seen a hywy patrol officer drive their car that it would ever run on 4 cyln. Multi-displacement is a good idea that might not work for police departments.

The Charger does look good however, but I thinks it's just too small to take over the CVPI. The back seat lacks head room. It would make a good PI for the police management personnel with AWD and a replacement for the hywy interceptors (Camaros and Mustangs).

Regardless, CV must get a huge update soon!!!

Yes undeed. 45 Cars is the begining of the end? Not hardly 45 cars is not a significant purchase.

I agree that the CV needs updating. However the end is not near till one of the Large Depts in CA or TX make the switch. Then you can talk about the end.

Ford's #1 problem is their complete failure to update their products sooner than once every quarter century.

If they actually updated their vehicles, we wouldn't be seeing sales going down down down..

But Ford just doesn't get it, no matter how much they claim tobe "moving forward", they only seem tobe stuck in neutral.

I don't think that anyone is surprised that some Police Departments will try the new Charger out. The question is, will the survive in the long haul? I think the HEMI engine itself is plenty capable, but the car as a whole is yet to be seen if it can take the abuse that is dealt to Police Vehicles.

While Oregon is buying 45 Chargers, the P.D. in Louisville, KY is buying another 128 Crown Victoria's out of a total of 188 they are purchasing this year. As an article in our local newspaper pointed out, some of the vehicles being replaced are over 5 years old, such as Crown Vic's and Camaro's. But on the other hand, the department also stated that many of the vehicles being replaced were new models that constantly have mechanical issues. They did not name the car, but since I know what the Police use around here, they are talking about the Chevy Impala, which I said from the beginning would be worthless as a 'real' Police Car. Now look at the P.D. dumping them because they can't keep them on the street. Will the Charger prove to be the same problem, or will it hold up to the job? I think the Charger will fare better than the Impala's have, but that's a chance each department takes until proven by a couple of years worth of daily abuse. I do know they are buying a few Charger's here to replace the Camaro's, but the total number may be 10 at best.

I wish Ford would do some updating to the Crown Victoria as well. It would be nice to see them replace the current 2V engine for the more powerful and more fuel economical 3V variations. That would get the Crown Vic in the 292 to 300 Horsepower range as seen in the Explorer and Mustang GT. It would be nice to see a 5-speed automatic go into these cars too, but can our 5-speed take the abuse the 4-speed holds up against? It's a shame that Ford could make a pretty nice improvement to the Crown Vic with these changes with very little effort or investment, but seem to be staying put, at least for now. Hell, why not a 5.4L option for the "pursuit units"? I don't believe the Crown Vic will be run out of town over night, but if Ford doesn't come up with some type of improved line-up, it could happen a few years from now.

And one last thing. Who in the hell did they have testing the performance of the Charger in that article? 0-60 in 6.4 Sec. and 0-100 in a little over 16 seconds. I thought they were much faster than that or are they just slowed down that much by all the Police gear?

The frame and overall RWD structure is based on Mercedes I believe, but am not positive. But if this is true, anyone that has seen some of the inner city Eurpean roads will confirm that durabilty shouldn't be an issue. Some of the cities over in Europe make Detroit roads look smooth.

The jury is still out on whether the LX car can withstand real world duty. The frame may be a Benz, but it still has cheaper parts in it.

Those that think 'Ford never updated the car, boo hoo' gotta realize many cop agencies say "dont change a thing! its fine!"

Edited by 630land

What I want to see is how many cops will walk away from a rear end collision.

Since the Cv is so unsafe.

And will it be plastered all over the news.

I agree with you "05stangAwesomecar" wait and see for a pic of a Dodge Charger cruiser get rear ended on the side of a highway, that unibody should stand up very well...the guy in the backseat will only have to lean forward 2 feet to open the rad cap...sorry troopers telling it like it is.

I don't think that anyone is surprised that some Police Departments will try the new Charger out. The question is, will the survive in the long haul? I think the HEMI engine itself is plenty capable, but the car as a whole is yet to be seen if it can take the abuse that is dealt to Police Vehicles.

While Oregon is buying 45 Chargers, the P.D. in Louisville, KY is buying another 128 Crown Victoria's out of a total of 188 they are purchasing this year. As an article in our local newspaper pointed out, some of the vehicles being replaced are over 5 years old, such as Crown Vic's and Camaro's. But on the other hand, the department also stated that many of the vehicles being replaced were new models that constantly have mechanical issues. They did not name the car, but since I know what the Police use around here, they are talking about the Chevy Impala, which I said from the beginning would be worthless as a 'real' Police Car. Now look at the P.D. dumping them because they can't keep them on the street. Will the Charger prove to be the same problem, or will it hold up to the job? I think the Charger will fare better than the Impala's have, but that's a chance each department takes until proven by a couple of years worth of daily abuse. I do know they are buying a few Charger's here to replace the Camaro's, but the total number may be 10 at best.

I wish Ford would do some updating to the Crown Victoria as well. It would be nice to see them replace the current 2V engine for the more powerful and more fuel economical 3V variations. That would get the Crown Vic in the 292 to 300 Horsepower range as seen in the Explorer and Mustang GT. It would be nice to see a 5-speed automatic go into these cars too, but can our 5-speed take the abuse the 4-speed holds up against? It's a shame that Ford could make a pretty nice improvement to the Crown Vic with these changes with very little effort or investment, but seem to be staying put, at least for now. Hell, why not a 5.4L option for the "pursuit units"? I don't believe the Crown Vic will be run out of town over night, but if Ford doesn't come up with some type of improved line-up, it could happen a few years from now.

And one last thing. Who in the hell did they have testing the performance of the Charger in that article? 0-60 in 6.4 Sec. and 0-100 in a little over 16 seconds. I thought they were much faster than that or are they just slowed down that much by all the Police gear?

Just between you and me most of that 200 million dollars coming in to the Crown Vic is to improve engine horsepower for 2008.

The frame and overall RWD structure is based on Mercedes I believe, but am not positive. But if this is true, anyone that has seen some of the inner city Eurpean roads will confirm that durabilty shouldn't be an issue. Some of the cities over in Europe make Detroit roads look smooth.

Per http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/index.html:

Though Chrysler had already chosen rear wheel drive before the merger, hooking up with Mercedes allowed (some say forced) the use of existing technologies, including a low-end version of the Mercedes E-class automatic transmission (the A580 electronic automatic), and versions of Mercedes' stability control, steering, front suspensions, electronics, rear suspensions, and seats.

I agree with you "05stangAwesomecar" wait and see for a pic of a Dodge Charger cruiser get rear ended on the side of a highway, that unibody should stand up very well...the guy in the backseat will only have to lean forward 2 feet to open the rad cap...sorry troopers telling it like it is.

Mopar police cars were of RWD, unibody+subframe construction for about 30 years (starting in 1960), and held from 45%-60% of the US police car market share during much of that time (per Allpar again). I'm not convinced that unitized construction is a problem in this application as long as the car can stand up to the abuse.

Edited by ptschett

I wonder how many departments will question why the 5.7L doesn't get 25 MPG on the hywy? I have never seen a hywy patrol officer drive their car that it would ever run on 4 cyln. Multi-displacement is a good idea that might not work for police departments.

The Charger does look good however, but I thinks it's just too small to take over the CVPI. The back seat lacks head room. It would make a good PI for the police management personnel with AWD and a replacement for the hywy interceptors (Camaros and Mustangs).

Regardless, CV must get a huge update soon!!!

Cops spend a lot of time 'sitting' either on the side of the road or at a call. The gas mileage should improve while idling IMO. Most of the 'heavy duty' driving doesn't happen everyday or constantly except for the quick turn-around to catch up to a violator.

Most Departments drop the car after about three years or 60k-70k miles anyway.

Regardless, it would still be interesting to see when or if Ford responds. Hate to see the CVPI go out like the camaros and firebirds in the pony wars (though I acknowledge the sales issue were on different themes).

I agree that the Oregon order is far from the beginning of the end. However, with two big Ford plants in town, is anyone surprised that Louisville continues to buy CV's?

I agree that the Oregon order is far from the beginning of the end. However, with two big Ford plants in town, is anyone surprised that Louisville continues to buy CV's?

You make a good point, although one could ask, since the Explorer is built in Louisville and used by many P.D.'s already, why order 128 C.V.'s when they could order 128 Explorer's if their concern was to support the local companies or economy. Despite not having 340 Horsepower or the best styling, I believe most Dept's continue to buy Crown Vic's because they are confident it is still the best all-around option for the current time being. Chrysler tried to re-enter the police segment with the previous generation FWD cars just a few years ago, and those cars turned out to be worthless for Special Services. So despite how nice the Charger is, I think those who got burned the last time will be hesitant before they jump onboard with another unproven product.

I think a lot of it also has to do with servicing the CV. The CV has changed so little it's relatively easy to repair. The mechanics are familiar with the car and the repair parts are already present. People generally don't like change.

FWIW, I saw a Charger in Louisville last week with a Police package. I can only assume it was a police package, as it was in passing. White car, black spotlight.

I don't know if they're worried about rear seat room... it's probably easier to slam a perps head into the roof on a Charger.

The Mercedes in question (The Charger platform) was/are? used as taxis in europe. It was the only taxi, as far as I could tell, in Paris when I was there 6-7 years ago.

-James

I work at a Chry-Jeep dealer. The Charger is on the same platform as the 300 and Magnum. They seem pretty decent so far and all are pretty easy to work on, even the Hemis. The interior is smaller than a Crown Vic. I dont know if they can take a beating like the Crown Vics do. Although I saw plenty with blown trannies and rear axles when I worked at Ford. The 42LE and NAG trannies in the LX cars arent that great either. Thats always been Chryslers Achilles heel. After the old Torqueflites went away they cant make a good one anymore.

MSP tests all vehicles with a trunk full of gear, lights & sirens on & two officers in the vehicle with all their requisite gear. So, these are real world results, not pumped-up track times. That's why the MSP test results are the "Bible" of the law enforcement community's vehicle stats.