Chrysler to File Chp 11 Today

Anthony

Source: CNN Story

Chrysler will file for bankruptcy now that negotiations with creditors have collapsed.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Chrysler LLC is going to file for bankruptcy, an administration official confirmed to CNN Thursday.

The filing comes after some of the company's smaller lenders refused a Treasury Department demand to reduce the amount of money the troubled automaker owed them.

Chrysler officials had no comment on the bankruptcy report. The company faces a Thursday deadline from the Treasury Department to reach deals with creditors who had loaned the company about $7 billion.

But the filing will not mean the halt of operations or liquidation for the troubled 85-year old automaker. Instead, the administration expects to use the bankruptcy process to join Chrysler with Italian automaker Fiat.

Full Story HERE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't look good.

In the long run it can be nothing but good though. Either Chrysler emerges as a leaner and stronger company with its issues in the past, or it dissolves and cedes to the other automakers who are in better shape already. It's not necessarily good for Chrysler or its employees, but it's an eventual good development for the industry as a whole. They sure couldn't keep going the way they were.

In the long run it can be nothing but good though. Either Chrysler emerges as a leaner and stronger company with its issues in the past, or it dissolves and cedes to the other automakers who are in better shape already. It's not necessarily good for Chrysler or its employees, but it's an eventual good development for the industry as a whole. They sure couldn't keep going the way they were.

I agree, in the long run, it could be great for everybody. The workers, the suppliers, the local economies that depend on the jobs and taxes.

I say it doesn't look good because Obama is trying to paint this rosy picture on how bankruptcy will only last a month or so. But Delphi has been trying to exit it for how long now? 4 years?

I see this as a car market correction that has been coming for a while.

I never really understood bankruptcy and reorganization until recently when people started discussing it. Watching firms restructure debt or accept company shares in exchange seems too good to be true but

it seems to be an acceptable strategy for moving past a threat of lost wealth on both sides.

The funny thing is Chapter 11 or not, if Chrysler and GM reorganize or reduce debt with the help of the government and come back to the market stronger than ever, what does that say to Ford?

I hope the American buyers jump on Ford for hanging tough and sorting out their own affairs without needing public money. They could show their appreciation by taking Ford above 20%market share.

ooh boy i cant wait they'll file bankruptcy cut the union employees pay in half and GM and Ford will follow suit , at least on the payscale parity

If Chrysler Files for Bankruptcy the UAW will end up being one of the majority stake holders in the reorganized company. So do not expect to see wages cut in half.

Matthew

ooh boy i cant wait they'll file bankruptcy cut the union employees pay in half and GM and Ford will follow suit , at least on the payscale parity

Hate to break the news to you, but the judge will probably use the agreement that the members just voted on.

Apparently the Ch11 reorganization bankruptcy became necessary because a few minority stake holders, hedge funds that were bond holders, refused to accept the lower (in their opinion) settlement that the major bond holders/creditors JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley accepted. The hedge funds would rather see a higher payout that they may get from Ch11 and/or Ch7 liquidation – even though a couple of them typically invest in “distressed companies”. Those hedge funds are Oppenheimer Funds, Perella Weinberg, & Stairway Capital.

The interesting part of it appears to be that Cerberus will loose 100% of its stake/ownership of the company, Daimler gives up its stake and will contribute to the pension fund and the UAW trust will get 55%, Fiat 35%, US gov’t 8% and Canadian gov’t 2%. Those, of course, are approximates, subject to change.

One thing that it will do (Ch11) is make it every easy to eliminate dealerships immediately without any cost to Chrysler as a judge can just eliminate them by directive. It also appears that provisions of the plan will mandate a specific minimum as far as domestic manufacturing and sales volume. Interesting.

A key issue that is still unknown is who will appoint the board of directors (possibly 9 members) – and it does appear that Fiat will take over management of the company.

In any case, Ch11 appears to be a new lease on life for Chrysler

Source: CNN Story

Chrysler will file for bankruptcy now that negotiations with creditors have collapsed.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Chrysler LLC is going to file for bankruptcy, an administration official confirmed to CNN Thursday.

The filing comes after some of the company's smaller lenders refused a Treasury Department demand to reduce the amount of money the troubled automaker owed them.

Chrysler officials had no comment on the bankruptcy report. The company faces a Thursday deadline from the Treasury Department to reach deals with creditors who had loaned the company about $7 billion.

But the filing will not mean the halt of operations or liquidation for the troubled 85-year old automaker. Instead, the administration expects to use the bankruptcy process to join Chrysler with Italian automaker Fiat.

Full Story HERE

Fiat owns Alfa Romeo, which are very nice looking cars. I wonder if they will sell them in the U.S.? I wonder if they will be DEPENDABLE.

Goes to show, it is bad to do business with deadbeats, be it Chrysler, homeowners, etc.

Look for Uncle Sam to pump more money into a losing effort, and you children and Grandchildren get to pay the Chicoms and Arabs back for this entire folly.

I've owned a number of Chryslers in the past - they peaked around the late 90's, and have gone downhill ever since.

The worrisome outcome is the one in the middle where Chrysler becomes a perpetual money loser and ward of the state.

I think this deal has quite a lot going for it. Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge get access to Fiat's international dealership networks and Fiat, Alfa and even Lancia could all go through the Chrysler network. There's not much overlap in cars, so not a lot of products stealing sales off each other. Hopefully Fiat will fix Chryslers interiors and bring them up to European standards. Great move I think.

Also bear in mind Fiat is possibly trying to do another deal with Opel, which will give the group even more efficiencies. Throw in their alliance with TATA and this could be the birth of a truly huge auto giant with a lot of potential...... Having said that it could also go the way of the Titanic.....

You know, reading what you have to say on the Climate thread lead me to believe you might be an idiot. Reading this, just proves that you are.

Yes, the 6% of the total operating cost that goes to paying the employees is the problem. Please, take you head out of your ass.