sync vs blue&me

There's something people don't realize. They think the whole unit is Microsoft Sync. It's not. There is a whole layer of apps and interfaces built on top of Sync. That is the part that Ford built. That's what you see when you're browsing MP3 files or using the Nav portion. That's the voice interface. That is not Sync. That is Ford.

So odds are, Fiat's version won't be all that similar to Ford's. Any similarities are more likely that Fiat took what works well in Ford's application of Sync, and replicated it.

So odds are, Fiat's version won't be all that similar to Ford's. Any similarities are more likely that Fiat took what works well in Ford's application of Sync, and replicated it.

From what I understand, Fiat's version was out before Ford released Sync in North America.

There's something people don't realize. They think the whole unit is Microsoft Sync. It's not. There is a whole layer of apps and interfaces built on top of Sync. That is the part that Ford built. That's what you see when you're browsing MP3 files or using the Nav portion. That's the voice interface. That is not Sync. That is Ford.

Look at it like this. Sync is the OS, like Windows is on a PC, and makes all the hardware work together happily. Anyone, Ford being the first, can develop their user apps within that OS, just like Windows again. Therefore the more mfrs that sign on with Sync, the more variations you will see of the user interface.

To clarify:

• Both Blue and Me and SYNC are based on the Microsoft Auto 3.x platform.
  • Blue and Me represents a collaboration between Magneti Marelli (part of Fiat Group) and Microsoft; likewise SYNC is a joint effort between Ford Motor and Microsoft.
  • The two systems share Microsoft's reference hardware platform, certain board support package (BSP) components, the OS (Windows Embedded CE 6.0), middleware, and certain aspects of the speech HMI (provided by Nuance Communications)
  • Individual applications such as navigation, vehicle diagnostics, etc., are unique to each system, as are most HMI related elements.

The diagram below indicates at a high level what is common to the two systems (shown in blue) and what is specific to Magneti Marelli/Fiat's and Ford's implementations (shown in green):

microsoft%20auto.JPG

does anyone know if there are any difference between sync and fiats blue&me. both developed by microsoft.

im curious if fiat is going to sell fiats and chryslers with this system. if they sell that here it could hurt some ford sales as for now sync is the best system on the market.

I don't see it hurting Ford's sales....Sync is as Ford as OnStar is GM....Blue & Me....? It will be looked upon as a cheap imitator....

I don't see it hurting Ford's sales....Sync is as Ford as OnStar is GM....Blue & Me....? It will be looked upon as a cheap imitator....

In more likelihood, I doubt most people will think of the other when looking at them. Especially if the the interface is considerably different.