Hinted Chevrolet Volt Pricing

nelsonlu

Can we start calling it the Voltmaro? Might as well combine the two Chevy products that have been hyped to death before they hit the market.

Besides obvious lessons to be learned about the great American auto meltdown of '09.. there are lthings to be learned. The fat lady hasn't sung yet. Give her a few years to get to the stage floor.

Camaro is out.. And the bumblebee doesn't look that bad to me. Their was the Mustang II. The Camaro could be all electric 10 years from now. It really doesn't look good to brow-beat competition like what goes on here on this site. Would be be good to route for all America manufacturers, because Ford just may well be one on life support in a year.

And lastly, their is another concept that's being touted, but not heavily and that's the Lincoln C.. just check out the fine print being released by Lincoln and also their website.

The bottom line is that it's a halo car. Low volume, and no profit (or high losses, rather), in all likelihood. While GM needs all the good PR they can get, this type of thing really seems wasteful given the rather finite resources they have to throw at marketing today. He could have spent that time hyping any other profitable product, and probably should have...but I suppose it makes their primary "stakeholder" happy.

The bottom line is that it's a halo car. Low volume, and no profit (or high losses, rather), in all likelihood. While GM needs all the good PR they can get, this type of thing really seems wasteful given the rather finite resources they have to throw at marketing today. He could have spent that time hyping any other profitable product, and probably should have...but I suppose it makes their primary "stakeholder" happy.

+1

GM does have some other good product. Spend these resources promoting THOSE.

+1

Getting customers into Chevy showrooms to see the Volt is the best way to promote the Malibu and the Cruze.

GM's EV1 was a car that billed as the car we would driving back now back in the 90's, they would only cost $40,000 but the price would come down.

What happed, where is EV1 l was supposed to be driving today?

GM lost another $40,000 on every EV1 it sold, So maybe it will to be a $80,000 Volt might be a good guide to pricing, thats not not as good as the $3,700 GM lost on every car it built last year under Robert Lutz.

How many millions of EV1 did GM sell in the end?

Back then folk had money in their pockets & a job.

How many millions of Volts will GM sell this time around?

Where are these buyer that are fully loaded up with $$$$$$ today in the credit crunch coming from today.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Getting customers into Chevy showrooms to see the Volt is the best way to promote the Malibu and the Cruze.

If the Malibu and Cruze were marketed properly on their own merits, they wouldn't need a vaporware halo car to pique their interest in the brand.

GM's EV1 was a car that billed as the car we would driving back now back in the 90's, they would only cost $40,000 but the price would come down.

GM lost another $40,000 on every EV1 it sold, So maybe it will to be a $80,000 Volt might be a good guide to pricing, thats not not as good as the $3,700 GM lost on every car it built last year under Robert Lutz.

Where are these buyer that are fully loaded up with $$$$$$ today in the credit crunch coming from today.

GM didn't SELL any EV1's. They were all leased, experimentally at that. The EV1 was never pushed as or intended to be a retail vehicle.

GM didn't SELL any EV1's. They were all leased, experimentally at that. The EV1 was never pushed as or intended to be a retail vehicle.

Yota's Prius in another piece of expensive junk, but at least you can get 2 pieces of YOTA's expensive Prius junk for the same price a one pice of expensive GM junk.

In Europe we can get 2 superb Fiesta Econetic diesels for the same price as one piece of expensive Prius junk.

Gotta say l know which car will be most sought after have the highest sales, make the largest profits that most Europeans will buy at the end of the day it won't be a Lutz dream turned nightmare, or a paper mache expensive pricy Prius.

Yota's Prius in another piece of expensive junk, but at least you can get 2 pieces of YOTA's expensive Prius junk for the same price a one pice of expensive GM junk.

In Europe we can get 2 superb Fiesta Econetic diesels for the same price as one piece of expensive Prius junk.

Gotta say l know which car will be most sought after have the highest sales, make the largest profits that most Europeans will buy at the end of the day it won't be a Lutz dream turned nightmare, or a paper mache expensive pricy Prius.

This thread has nothing to do with the Prius. Or the Fiesta. Or diesels. Or Europe.

This thread has nothing to do with the Prius. Or the Fiesta. Or diesels. Or Europe.

Your right Nick it does have nothing to do with the Fiesta & Prius they will still be around, GM will have disappeared altogether from Europe if they keep wasting billions developing shit like this that nobody can afford to buy.

Your right Nick it does have nothing to do with the Fiesta & Prius they will still be around, GM will have disappeared altogether from Europe if they keep wasting billions developing shit like this that nobody can afford to buy.

Well that part I might agree with you on. Now keep it to that, please.

The EV1 was a car designed and built to meet a mandate from California. Originally, to sell any cars there, major automalers were to have a certain percentage of their fleet fueled by electricityafter an early 90s date. GM, along with Toyota and Honda spent boatloads of money to meet the mandate, but then when the due date approached for the mandate to kick in, all of the other automakers stood up and said no can do. The state caved in and withdrew the mandate. Toyota and Honda continued development, eventually producing the Prius and Insight. GM just pulled back, and went with the flow, building ever larger SUVs, and tried to forget the whole episode.

I guess GM is just lucky not a single other manufacturer has stumbled upon this effective way to move conventional mid-size offerings!

Well that part I might agree with you on. Now keep it to that, please.

Give me the choice of a Volt or your Dads Classic Stingray to buy new in the UK, l know which one l would buy new & replace every three years Nick, and the other l would never buy in a million years ever. GM don't make cars folk want anymore thats why they won't be having a party on the 1st June they are out of touch with what the buyers want.

Give me the choice of a Volt or your Dads Classic Stingray to buy new in the UK, l know which one l would buy new & replace every three years Nick, and the other l would never buy in a million years ever. GM don't make cars folk want anymore thats why they won't be having a party on the 1st June they are out of touch with what the buyers want.

Given the choice of vehicles, most people would take the Volt. It's simply more practical. You have to realize you are not a spokesman for the entire buying public. Most people will take practicality and efficiency over excitement every time. To that end, GM builds several vehicles people want (along with the Corvette still for people like you). GM, for better or worse, is still the #1 selling company in the U.S., so obviously they are selling vehicles people will buy. It's not about sales. It's about their business model.

Given the choice of vehicles, most people would take the Volt. It's simply more practical. You have to realize you are not a spokesman for the entire buying public. Most people will take practicality and efficiency over excitement every time. To that end, GM builds several vehicles people want (along with the Corvette still for people like you). GM, for better or worse, is still the #1 selling company in the U.S., so obviously they are selling vehicles people will buy. It's not about sales. It's about their business model.

Why only 2,000 EV1's GM sold a lot more Stingrays than that.

GM are No1 in making a LOSS to the tune of just the odd little $38 Billions, sports car maker Porsche that sell into the US made a $17 Billion PROFIT in 2008 not selling Volt type cars. When will commie state owned Government Motors start to make a profit Nick by building cars folk want to buy for a chage without making $3,700 on every car they sell?

http://carsportals.com/2008/07/30/2008-bes...billion-profit/

Nice Europes biggest electric car company have folded gone under bust and are gone forever, is this what the buyer wants?

Why only 2,000 EV1's GM sold a lot more Stingrays than that.

GM are No1 in making a LOSS to the tune of just the odd little $38 Billions, sports car maker Porsche that sell into the US made a $17 Billion PROFIT in 2008 not selling Volt type cars. When will commie state owned Government Motors start to make a profit Nick by building cars folk want to buy for a chage without making $3,700 on every car they sell?

http://carsportals.com/2008/07/30/2008-bes...billion-profit/

Nice Europes biggest electric car company have folded gone under bust and are gone forever, is this what the buyer wants?

If you need to ask why there were only 2000 EV1 LEASED (again, they were never available for retail SALE), then you don't understand why the existed in the first place. To compare the EV1 to the Volt is laughable. To compare the EV1 to the Corvette is just downright BIZARRE.

GM's losses have FAR less to do with the product they are offering than how they are managing the rest of the business. They certainly don't make their core revenues from the CORVETTE.

You really do have some of the most bizarre logic I've ever witnessed. You can tie two completely unrelated things together like nobody else. Bravo.

Edited by NickF1011

+1

please elaborate...if they had other good product that the public desired I doubt they would have needed bailout...or any where NEAR the amount they have received....reflection of BAD management and undesirable product and topped off with a dash of recession...

please elaborate...if they had other good product that the public desired I doubt they would have needed bailout...or any where NEAR the amount they have received....reflection of BAD management and undesirable product and topped off with a dash of recession...

It's not the sales that's killing them. It's the over-capacity, poor management, etc. Vehicles like the Malibu, G8, Corvette, and plenty of others are all GOOD vehicles. They are just good vehicles being sold by a poorly run company.

It's not the sales that's killing them. It's the over-capacity, poor management, etc. Vehicles like the Malibu, G8, Corvette, and plenty of others are all GOOD vehicles. They are just good vehicles being sold by a poorly run company.

Nick, I generally agree with you on most things, but the G8 is a dismal complete sales disaster in my mind. I can't imagine that thing will make it another MY. The jury as I recall about transforming it into a Chevy is still out, but as a Pontiac, its cooked. I think they sold a total of like 18,000 of them last YEAR. Thats not even worth starting the boat up to bring them over here. I'm not sure about Corvette sales, but I can't imagine they are where they were last year, and the Malibu is well the Malibu.

Nick, I generally agree with you on most things, but the G8 is a dismal complete sales disaster in my mind. I can't imagine that thing will make it another MY. The jury as I recall about transforming it into a Chevy is still out, but as a Pontiac, its cooked. I think they sold a total of like 18,000 of them last YEAR. Thats not even worth starting the boat up to bring them over here. I'm not sure about Corvette sales, but I can't imagine they are where they were last year, and the Malibu is well the Malibu.

Well, given the fact that the entire Pontiac brand is set to die for what, 2010(or is it 2011?), I'd say you're prediction is right.....