2010 Chevrolet Equinox posts 32 mpg highway rating

TomServo92

But, weren't we lead to believe that GDI doesn't improve gas mileage? Oh, that's right, you have to engineer the engine from the ground up to get the gains...

Went back and read TFA and noticed, a 2.4L GDI I4 with a 6 speed Auto. It gets better highway than the hybrid escape (granted, with a newer platform and better aero, that's not too hard) but the hybrid escape does better in the city. If Ford were to introduce a 1.6L ecoboost version of the next gen escape, it would probably beat the equinox's numbers. Heck, the existing Escape I4/6AT combo really isn't THAT far from this.

Edited by old_fairmont_wagon

But, weren't we lead to believe that GDI doesn't improve gas mileage? Oh, that's right, you have to engineer the engine from the ground up to get the gains...

Do a little research and you'll find that:

1) Chevy's 2.4 GDI has very similar power and torque figures to Ford's PFI 2.5.

2) An Ecoboost 1.6 develops 180 hp/180 lb ft and beats both hands down

for low end torque and fuel economy potential.

I rest my case.

Edited by jpd80

Do a little research and you'll find that:

1) Chevy's 2.4 GDI has very similar power and torque figures to Ford's PFI 2.5.

Yes, in an engine that is smaller and, given what we can estimate about the new equinox, is more fuel efficient. Thus the gains of GDI.

2) An Ecoboost 1.6 develops 180 hp/180 lb ft and beats both hands down

for low end torque and fuel economy potential.

Of course, except there's this a little problem with that engine...

ITS NOT HERE YET! The Equinox is supposed to ship sometime this year (bankruptcy not withstanding)

Ford has about two more years before the 1.6L EB is shipping in cars that are available for customer sale in the US.

I rest MY case.

Yes, in an engine that is smaller and, given what we can estimate about the new equinox, is more fuel efficient. Thus the gains of GDI.

ITS NOT HERE YET! The Equinox is supposed to ship sometime this year (bankruptcy not withstanding)

Ford has about two more years before the 1.6L EB is shipping in cars that are available for customer sale in the US.

I rest MY case.

:hysterical:

I was hoping you didn't see that slight problem :shades:

Ask yourself why Ford didn't feel the need to do a 4 cylinder Edge and you'll see the Equinox dilema,

I bet the bulk of them will be V6 sales.

GM still has to convince people to buy it.....

If it's as smooth and quiet in the Equinox as it is in the Malibu, it will have no problems.

I don't like the exterior styling at all either, however. The current one is so much cleaner, except for the clear taillights.

I have a 2.4L in my 2007 HHR and it is neither rough nor loud. I'm starting to think 156n3rd doen't know which engine is which. :banghead:

You do know the Ecotec 2.4 is not the same engine as GM's earlier 2.4 engines? A 2.4 in a Dodge Caliber? Now that is rough and loud. Quad 4? Ditto. 2.4 Ecotec? no.

Or even if they like it, will they have enough faith in the company that builds it to buy one?

I don't know. I owned a 91 Dodge Shadow Convert RS (white with red lettering) and loved it. It was one of the better looking small convertibles in my opinion. Looked OK with the top up. Looked great with the top down. Almost bought a Dodge 2500 TDI when I was looking for a diesel truck. Sometimes I still wish I had bought that 12v 5.9 shaker! But those were about the only Dodges I every really cared for.

Currently, I would not touch a Chry product and would not have for the last decade but for the truck. I have zero faith in Chry and it would be a decade before I really even considered them again.

But GM is different to me. I look at Chry and see a broken horrible company too small to be saved. But GM has some very good products and is large enough that it could just be Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac and be a very strong quality player. So I would not count out some GM's if I were shopping for a new car. I would not buy one right now. But GM? I see a year out or so Post Ch-11 before I would buy one. To me, that is not very long. Now, things may change, but just going from current situations and current products? GM still has huge potential.

Peace and Blessings

If it's as smooth and quiet in the Equinox as it is in the Malibu, it will have no problems.

I don't like the exterior styling at all either, however. The current one is so much cleaner, except for the clear taillights.

DC. You are a writer and ending a sentence with ', however'? Shame on you! :finger:

;)

Peace and Blessings

Or even if they like it, will they have enough faith in the company that builds it to buy one?

Which is why I said above, "I hope for GM's sake people will buy them still."

I rest MY case.

Well, if it's anything like the Camaro, the EB1.6 will be here just as the Equinox is coming out. :P :lol:

:hysterical:

I was hoping you didn't see that slight problem :shades:

Ask yourself why Ford didn't feel the need to do a 4 cylinder Edge and you'll see the Equinox dilema,

I bet the bulk of them will be V6 sales.

GM still has to convince people to buy it.....

As the smallest Chevrolet SUV, it will likely be competing with the Escape and company just as much as the Edge. And lots of the compact SUVs are 4-cylinder only, including the best-selling CR-V.

That, and the Edge weighs a good bit more than the equinox.

Given the torque output of the 2.0L I4 that ford and MAzda currently use, I'd have to think that a GDI version of that putting out roughly 165 lbs of torque and 155 hp would be ADEQUATE for a SFE version of the Escape. With the hybrid aero package, low rolling resistance tires, and other tricks, (minus the hybrid system) it could very likely beat the equinox with the current platform.

As the smallest Chevrolet SUV, it will likely be competing with the Escape and company just as much as the Edge. And lots of the compact SUVs are 4-cylinder only, including the best-selling CR-V.

Well, the Equinox starts at $23,185 and the Escape at $20,400 - that buys a bit of gasoline...

Pity they don't have a Hybrid like Escape for around $29,000, they'd get 34/31 mpg......

Edited by jpd80

Also buys a lot of interior room, and probably some extra feature content. I doubt it will be that far from a comparable Escape -- certainly within the pricing realm of the compact SUV.

And then before we know it, all change hands to the C1 Kuga/Escape.

Probably a much better mouse trap and possibly gets the 32mpg as well.