Fusion marches past Camry

68Cougar

Amazing how much more expensive everything has gotten on the Camry. I'd say if price was an issue (which it is to most consumers) the Fusion is definitely a winner in this segment (along with a few others like the new Sonata). If cost is not so much an issue, I'm sure the loaded Camry (with a V6) is the better car. Of course, you're going to be paying around $30,000 for your "better" Camry. :o

Edited by NickF1011

Amazing how much more expensive everything has gotten on the Camry. I'd say if price was an issue (which it is to most consumers) the Fusion is definitely a winner in this segment (along with a few others like the new Sonata). If cost is not so much an issue, I'm sure the loaded Camry (with a V6) is the better car. Of course, you're going to be paying around $30,000 for your "better" Camry. :o

In Canada, the Fusion outsold Accord for the month of April. Not bad for a failure.....

Ford just needs to not take it easy. The competition is tough, and only get tougher.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...30329/1121/AUTO

I'm not sure I'd use the term "march" and Fusion in the same sentence, considering the horrible IIHS data from the CD3 crash test fiasco. Perhaps "hobble" is a more accurate term.

Somehow the hoopla over the CD3 "success" seems hollow in comparison to actual past Ford "hits." So far, the Mexican Mazda seems to be a single with perhaps a steal to second. Nothing legendary or all that remarkable.

Somehow the hoopla over the CD3 "success" seems hollow in comparison to actual past Ford "hits." So far, the Mexican Mazda seems to be a single with perhaps a steal to second. Nothing legendary or all that remarkable.

I'd have to disagree. In a short amount of time on the market, they've accounted accounted for about 20K units in the month of April. Secondly, they're moving without much in the terms of incentive. Thirdly, they only have about 50 days on hand for the Fusion and Milan and about 30 days on hand for the Zeph (industry standard is about 60-70 days on hand). Also, they're already planning updates one year after launch in terms of standard safety equipment, upgraded engines, and AWD (at least for Zeph). And lastly, how come the 300 sells 150K units annually and it's a homerun by all accounts but the Fusion is on track to meet or exceed that and it's a "single".....

Couple things.

1. Ford needs to "let the process take it's course." What I mean by that is they need to get these cars into the hands of customers, let the customers get the "Hey, this Ford ain't too bad" thought and get them to tell their friends, etc.

2. Continue to resist the fleet bug and massive incentives. I say this because GM will be doing it again come summer...I guarantee it.

2. I know, I have posted it in every other place on this forum, but MAKE SURE THE DEALERS DON'T SCREW UP THIS GREAT PRODUCT WITH F*CKED UP SUPPORT AFTER THE SALE!!!!!

And lastly, how come the 300 sells 150K units annually and it's a homerun by all accounts but the Fusion is on track to meet or exceed that and it's a "single".....

Why? I think this says it all:

The average transaction price of all Chrysler 300 models, after rebates, in the first quarter of 2006 was $30,927, according to Power Information Network.

It sells good AND makes tons of money.

As for the Fusion... "Single" my butt....if it maintains sales I'd say it's more like a triple heading home! :rockon:

I'm not sure I'd use the term "march" and Fusion in the same sentence, considering the horrible IIHS data from the CD3 crash test fiasco. Perhaps "hobble" is a more accurate term.

This kind of ignorance is...well, it's almost fascinating.

All the reviews praising its drivability and handling...something American sedans hadn't really done well since the original SHO...continue to go right past this guy. The signifigance of a domestic sedan being FUN TO DRIVE in any and all trim levels is immense. The fact that it has to soldier on with less motor than the class leaders and still garners positive reviews consistently is a huge accomplishment.

I didn't like this review-I guess it's a win in the "value" category, but I know that a loaded Camry would slap around a V6 Fusion at the dragstrip...for thousands more.

The quality being mentioned was a good thing, and the fact that a Camry interior at that price level isn't perfect is interesting.

The Fusion isn't about a single time at bat...it's about a great draft pick having a good debut game and the season stretching out ahead.

Geez, I've spent time with the Fusion and the Camry and the Camry still plays like a MUCH higher quality product. Granted, I never drove the Camry, but the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr feel cheap. They don't LOOK cheap, but they feel cheap, especially the doors/handles, trunk, hood, etc.. It is true that the Fusion/Milan have a very budget minded exterior quality, but the interior is decent. If I was shopping for one of these cars, I would say the Camry with its proven quality and safety record, along with a higher resale value makes the price difference well worth it. Of course, I had pretty much written off the CD3 sedans after the unstasifactory crash ratings.

Having ridden in the 06 camry and the 06 Fusion, I can say that the Fusion felt sportier, but also didn't convey a sense of being more solid, or richer than the Camry. The Camry still gave the overall impression of total quality that the Fusion didn't. Its much better than the Taurus, but still not "up there" with the Camry. But, I do think that the Fusion is competitive now.

Fusion going global.....

Ford optimistic about the Fusion

Until now, no car of American origin has ever made much of a dent in a Brazilian market dominated by European models. The Fusion, launched this week, may turn that situation around, thanks to a very competitive price. The Mexican-built Ford arrives in Brazil with no import tax due to a trade accord with Mexico. Thus it turns out to be a little cheaper than the Chevrolet Vectra, which is produced in the State of São Paulo. The Fusion replaces the Mondeo, a slow seller that had been taxed heavily because of its Europe assembly.

pretty good article....the fusion is great and hopefully they will only improve it (the 3.5 is one, obviously). but safety wise there is a small need, which they seem to be addressing too.

meanwhile the new Camry - um what to say. it's a Honda Accord outside, ok? enough said. that's their new design strategy?

inside it's just abysmal....yuk

Why? I think this says it all:

It sells good AND makes tons of money.

As for the Fusion... "Single" my butt....if it maintains sales I'd say it's more like a triple heading home! :rockon:

makes me wonder what the average transaction price of the zeph is

along with a higher resale value

interesting, I havent even seen a used triplet yet

The Mexican-built Ford arrives in Brazil with no import tax due to a trade accord with Mexico. ... The Fusion replaces the Mondeo, a slow seller that had been taxed heavily because of its Europe assembly.

That's definitely smart of Ford to import something closer to home than shipping from Europe.

I havent even seen a used triplet yet

I saw one at a local dealership. I don't remember the price, but it wasn't enough less than a new one that I would consider buying it.

(It matched the description of the one a salesperson claimed to have bought when I last had new-car lust back in November, and when I talked to her, she confirmed that she had sold it back to the dealership. Their old minivan died and she traded it for a more family-practical Mountaineer).

• 1 month later...