GM Files for Bankruptcy

JLaudioF150

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F* JD Power ratings! Don't they do initial quality only?? If the TC, CV, GM, and Rangers boosted the ratings, then good I guess. But, to think, they have been in production for 20+ years off the same platforms they sure as hell better be built glitch-free.

Taking the boats off the lots was a good move for Ford. "Hey come look at us. Our new cars don't have 10ft overhangs anymore."

They are reliable cars, but they did little for Ford's image lately.

Take all those old models JD power ratings away, and Ford would look poor as a company.

It wasn't so much GM vehicles being bland that have gotten them in this mess, it was just bad organization, poor reliability, and overall bad perception of the company. GM will go down in the history books for being a corporation that nose dived because of its mishandling. Luckily, Ford saw what was coming a few years back and it seems they are doing quite good. Even if they are not doing good it sure as hell seems like they are.

They concentrated on ONE Ford. Getting the products that people want with, get this, RELIABILITY. I hear it quite often around the office about how so and so bought a Ford. They never would have considered an American auto maker but Consumer Reports lists the Fusion/Edge/Taurus/Escape with high marks.

GM never woke up in time. Cars cost a lot of money and the internet allows us to research cars, magazine articles, read user reviews, etc. Ford has/had GM beat hands down in terms of reliability. Especially in the last 5 years.

Plus, the company was organized like shit. I mean, why have an Escalade, Tahoe, and Yukon. Why even have a GMC? What's the point of Buick? Pontiac? Saturn you say? Hell, the American public had no idea had ownership of Suburu, Hummer (even), and SAAB. All crap if you ask me. Too complicated.

ONE FORD makes a lot of sense. Ironically, the company I'm working for is preparing for a new Global Market and is also using ONE and consolidating their brands. BTW, has Mullaly written a book yet? Probably not, too busy leading Ford. :happy feet:

I agree completely on the reliability. However, beyond the Malibu, G8, and CTS, what else is stylistically interesting at GM? (Don't say Vette since the current one is just a continuation of styling from 30 years ago).

I agree completely on the reliability. However, beyond the Malibu, G8, and CTS, what else is stylistically interesting at GM? (Don't say Vette since the current one is just a continuation of styling from 30 years ago).

I like the Sky and Solstice, and argue the Vette all you want. You have to count it or else exclude the Mustang from Ford. I'm also diggin on the Lambdas for the most part (there are just too many of them). The XLR, Aura, G6, Lucerne. None of these are really any more or less offensive than the offerings Ford currently has out.

I like the Sky and Solstice, and argue the Vette all you want. You have to count it or else exclude the Mustang from Ford. I'm also diggin on the Lambdas for the most part (there are just too many of them). The XLR, Aura, G6, Lucerne. None of these are really any more or less offensive than the offerings Ford currently has out.

I agree with you 100%, but I'll also add the Sierra and Tahoe. They are nice vehicles for the most part.

OK, I'll give you the Vette. I spent some time in a Lambda and was not impressed in the least. The current CTS is the only Cadillac that actually wears the Art and Science design well. I also don't care much for any of the others you mention. In my opinion, they're boring. But that's the thing I guess, it's an opinion based on personal preference.

Take all those old models JD power ratings away, and Ford would look poor as a company.

Not really. I have my Fusion enrolled in True Dalta's survey, which is relatively long term, and most Ford models including the Edge Mustang Focus and 500/Taurus are doing at least as well as their competitors (both offshore and domestic).

When you sign up a vehicle there they allow you to see reliability data for everything they have info on and it looks like Ford has made one H*ll of a comeback and it is really starting to pay off for them.

Some of their info is really interesting!

GM just f'ed up keeping old car designs around for decades. The was no excuse to keep the W body floating for 22 years. The Impala is ancient and has that raspy motor sound like old Berettas.

And they spent tons to bring out new '07 full size SUV's, which now only sell with huge rebates, eliminating the "$10K profit". Then the TrailBlazer 'sextuplets' [6 badge jobs!] became redundant. Did they think could offer unlimited versions of same SUV? Chevy, GMC, Olds, Buick, Isuzu, Saab all got a version.

Edited by 630land

It not the business model wants changing, they want to ditch their boring dull bland jellymould cars that made them bankrupt in the first place

those lousy cars are a direct result of that business model. (guess Tom Servo said that already)

Edited by RichardJensen

Pete DeLorenzo, after dislocating his shoulder in an attempt to pat himself on the back, asserted that Rob't Lutz's 'product renaissance was 'too little, too late.'

I argue not. I argue that GM not only assumed that 'product' would solve their cash problems, they also fundamentally misread the market.

They don't have good processes for 1) developing good ideas and 2) qualifying those ideas with customer feedback.

Pete DeLorenzo, after dislocating his shoulder in an attempt to pat himself on the back, asserted that Rob't Lutz's 'product renaissance was 'too little, too late.'

I argue not. I argue that GM not only assumed that 'product' would solve their cash problems, they also fundamentally misread the market.

They don't have good processes for 1) developing good ideas and 2) qualifying those ideas with customer feedback.

Well, their concept of "home run or nothing" sure didn't help matters. While many of their products are good, it seems that if it wasn't a smash hit, they would simply abandon it instead of improve what needed improving while keeping what works. That's the main difference I see product-wise between GM and the likes of Ford (now anyway), Toyota, and Honda.

Well, their concept of "home run or nothing" sure didn't help matters. While many of their products are good, it seems that if it wasn't a smash hit, they would simply abandon it instead of improve what needed improving while keeping what works. That's the main difference I see product-wise between GM and the likes of Ford (now anyway), Toyota, and Honda.

Business as usual. I'm old enough and young enough to remember the video game console wars of the 90s and earlier this decade - when it was originally all about Nintendo and Sega. Then comes the newcomer that was changing it all, Sony. Sega developed interesting systems: The Sega Genesis CD, the 32X, Saturn (coincidence to GM?), and the Dreamcast (all flops for the most part) before finally yielding to Nintendo and Sony. They would just abandon their systems and 3rd party developers would as well. Another company that just didn't understand the market.

GM is Sega.

:finger: Sorry, back to automobiles.

Edited by JLaudioF150

those lousy cars are a direct result of that business model. (guess Tom Servo said that already)

Whats the business model called Richard?

'Death wish' we won't be selling any cars anymore in Europe plan, make sure you bore

$h!t out of the buyer.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

45879326.jpg

45879335.jpg

45879356.jpg

45879374.jpg

45879332.jpg

45879385.jpg

"We make the best cars in the world........ What the hell just happend?

Interesting that they're all wearing some combination of red, blue, and gray ties.

Whats the business model called Richard? 'Death wish' we won't be selling any cars anymore in Europe plan, make sure you bore

$h!t out of the buyer.

This coming from the one that says Ford's euro lineup is boring?

Why do you say that, because it doesn't look like it fits well?

That, along with the goofy half-grin, poor posture, and the "cloud" backdrop just reminds me of Picture Day in elementary school for some reason.

Edited by NickF1011

That, along with the goofy half-grin, poor posture, and the "cloud" backdrop just reminds me of Picture Day in elementary school for some reason.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about "picture day".

The only one that seems to be happy is the third one.

I sense Fritz Henderson is being typically GM and saying if we do X, Y and Z everything will work out OK.

How can the same bunch of executives that didn't see the need for business change and restructuring

be trusted to run the new GM properly?

Fundamental change has to happen at GM and unless that is done, all of this is for nothing....