2011 Explorer Sport's Trac.

PA Dweller

Hello, my name is Chris and some of you probably know me from GMI. I posted this on a smaller Ford enthusiast website but since this is a larger site I decided to post it here and see what you guys had to say, maybe throw me some tidbits on a possible next generation ;). Anyway I would like to see a next generation Sport's Trac, I have seen them around a lot and I think the Sport's Trac is perfectly sized for most people's needs. For the next generation I would like to see an optional 5 foot bed. The next improvement I would like to see is the EcoBoost engine, the 4 and 6 cylinder variant. Plus keep up on offering the latest tech features: Sync, Navigation, etc.

While the next generation Ranger might fill some of these roles I don't think it's can do it all. The current Ranger (Both NA/International) looks kinda cheap, like an entry level truck. The Sport's Trac though could fill the void in price, content, features, and size between the Ranger and F-150.

Edited by PA Dweller

Hello, my name is Chris and some of you probably know me from GMI. I posted this on a smaller Ford enthusiast website but since this is a larger site I decided to post it here and see what you guys had to say, maybe throw me some tidbits on a possible next generation ;). Anyway I would like to see a next generation Sport's Trac, I have seen them around a lot and I think the Sport's Trac is perfectly sized for most people's needs. For the next generation I would like to see an optional 5 foot bed. The next improvement I would like to see is the EcoBoost engine, the 4 and 6 cylinder variant. Plus keep up on offering the latest tech features: Sync, Navigation, etc.

While the next generation Ranger might fill some of these roles I don't think it's can do it all. The current Ranger (Both NA/International) looks kinda cheap, like an entry level truck. The Sport's Trac though could fill the void in price, content, features, and size between the Ranger and F-150.

Now, I'm no insider or anything, but from what I've read here, I don't believe there'll be a next-generation Sport Trac. Explorer is moving to the unibody D3 platform, which leaves the ST out in the cold. The void is supposed to be filled mostly by the next-gen Ranger which will be a global model. There was also rumored to be a model slotted between the Ranger and F-150, called the F-100, but last rumor I'd read here, it was cancelled....but then again, it's been on-again, off-again, so who knows.

Now, I'm no insider or anything, but from what I've read here, I don't believe there'll be a next-generation Sport Trac. Explorer is moving to the unibody D3 platform, which leaves the ST out in the cold. The void is supposed to be filled mostly by the next-gen Ranger which will be a global model. There was also rumored to be a model slotted between the Ranger and F-150, called the F-100, but last rumor I'd read here, it was cancelled....but then again, it's been on-again, off-again, so who knows.

Yea I heard about the F-100 but like you I heard it was canceled. It's too bad though since such a truck would fulfill the needs of many.

The Explorer Sport Trac is dead. The new Explorer is unibody using the D3 platform. The explorer Sport Trac's closest replacement will be an upscale Ranger replacement on the code named T6 chassis.

F100 is completely dead for the time being with no chance of being resurected anytime soon.

The T6 chassis appears to be approx 4 inches wider than the current US built Ranger. Fit and finish will most likely be class leading. The suspension will be coil-over shocks in the front and some sort of leaf spring arrangement in the rear. The only T6 engine anyone is talking about is the Ecoboost 1.6 liter, which may be replaced with the Ecoboost 1.8 liter. Both engines are a possible fit but are very differnent designs. One possible larger engine is a Eco-boosted 2.5 liter 4 cylinder with over 270HP. Such an engine mated to the almost guarenteed 6 speed automatic in a quad door arrangement would make for a nice sport trac replacement.

Here is a link to one of the T6 demo vehicles, the body is camoflage so do not expect it to have the same fenders, bed panels or any other part of the bed, nose, or tailgate. http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090605.007/20...ied-in-the-alps

Edited by Mackintire

The Explorer Sport Trac is dead. The new Explorer is unibody using the D3 platform. The explorer Sport Trac's closest replacement will be an upscale Ranger replacement on the code named T6 chassis.

F100 is completely dead for the time being with no chance of being resurected anytime soon.

The T6 chassis appears to be approx 4 inches wider than the current US built Ranger. Fit and finish will most likely be class leading. The suspension will be coil-over shocks in the front and some sort of leaf spring arrangement in the rear. The only T6 engine anyone is talking about is the Ecoboost 1.6 liter, which may be replaced with the Ecoboost 1.8 liter. Both engines are a possible fit but are very differnent designs. One possible larger engine is a Eco-boosted 2.5 liter 4 cylinder with over 270HP. Such an engine mated to the almost guarenteed 6 speed automatic in a quad door arrangement would make for a nice sport trac replacement.

Here is a link to one of the T6 demo vehicles, the body is camoflage so do not expect it to have the same fenders, bed panels or any other part of the bed, nose, or tailgate. http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090605.007/20...ied-in-the-alps

So why can't a next generation Sport's Trac be build on the D3 platform? The Ranger sounds nice but how will it compare to the Sport's Trac? Will it be as well equipped? Will it be appointed as well? Will the bed size/interior volume match the Sport's Trac? Most importantly what powertrains will we get? I guess we will see in time, thanks for the link btw.

Edited by PA Dweller

So why can't a next generation Sport's Trac be build on the D3 platform? The Ranger sounds nice but how will it compare to the Sport's Trac? Will it be as well equipped? Will it be appointed as well? Will the bed size/interior volume match the Sport's Trac? Most importantly what powertrains will we get? I guess we will see in time, thanks for the link btw.

T6 will be similar size and equipment level as Nissan Frontier/Toyota Tacoma.

The emphasis is on a roomy work horse that is also cosy and refined.

Irrespective of engine speculation, global will get 2.5 and 3.0 I-4 turbo diesels

and US most likely will use 2.0 Ecoboost and 3.7 V6.

Irrespective of engine speculation, global will get 2.5 and 3.0 I-4 turbo diesels

At least most of the above post is correct. Ford does intend to offer a more upscale T6 to replace the Sport Trac.

The meaning of upscale is far better than what is being currently offered. Ford-Sync will be a part of that offering.

The transmission is listed as 6 speed auto with a possible manual configuration.

The Eco-boost 2.0 was supposed to have the same power output as the current 3.7 liter.

Then again to get 270HP out of the 2.0 liter you have to pressurize the motor as much as the 420HP Eco-boost 3.5 liter.

Since that is not happening the most likely outcome will be either the 1.6 or 1.8 liter ecoboost engines as the lower powered option with 170HP and the Ecoboost 2.5 liter being the more powerful option with power output closer to 280HP.

As for the question of why Ford is not choosing to build the Sport Trac on the D3 platform? Things like small bed capacity, low towing capacity, and the possibility of loosing sales on the quad cab T6 should be apparent.

The T6 will come in 4' and 6' bed configurations. So with a quad cab and a 4' bed the new truck will be a little longer than the current sport trac. It most likely will also be slightly narrower. We do know that it is 3-4 inches wider than the current ranger. So my best guess is that it will be something inbetween the 2003-2005 explorer and the 2006-2009 explorer in width.

Ford is going to try to cover all its bases with this design, that includes 14K stripped down parts runners all the way up to $30k+ loaded models.

Now the Ranger sounds like a decent truck that can fit everyone's needs.

At least most of the above post is correct. Ford does intend to offer a more upscale T6 to replace the Sport Trac.

The meaning of upscale is far better than what is being currently offered. Ford-Sync will be a part of that offering.

The transmission is listed as 6 speed auto with a possible manual configuration.

The Eco-boost 2.0 was supposed to have the same power output as the current 3.7 liter.

Then again to get 270HP out of the 2.0 liter you have to pressurize the motor as much as the 420HP Eco-boost 3.5 liter.

Since that is not happening the most likely outcome will be either the 1.6 or 1.8 liter ecoboost engines as the lower powered option with 170HP and the Ecoboost 2.5 liter being the more powerful option with power output closer to 280HP.

As for the question of why Ford is not choosing to build the Sport Trac on the D3 platform? Things like small bed capacity, low towing capacity, and the possibility of loosing sales on the quad cab T6 should be apparent.

The T6 will come in 4' and 6' bed configurations. So with a quad cab and a 4' bed the new truck will be a little longer than the current sport trac. It most likely will also be slightly narrower. We do know that it is 3-4 inches wider than the current ranger. So my best guess is that it will be something inbetween the 2003-2005 explorer and the 2006-2009 explorer in width.

Ford is going to try to cover all its bases with this design, that includes 14K stripped down parts runners all the way up to $30k+ loaded models.

I like the idea of offering a 2.5L Turbocharged engine, it will give you power and fuel economy. The dimensions are also impressive, I never expected to see a 6' foot bed on a Ranger. I now understand why Ford will discontinue the Sport's Trac.

Edited by PA Dweller

I really hope that Ford introduces/greenlights a new Sport Trac. The Sport Trac has the 2nd highest owner/cult following only behind the Mustang itself. Those are customers Ford needs to keep and not lose. Maybe the F-100 was shelved because it was going to be too much like a regular F-150 afterall. So instead they are going to bring out the new global T6 Ranger and a uni-body Sport Trac to fill that spot. You really gotta remember that the Sport Trac sold 60,000 units a year for a long time back in its heyday, and the only reason people flocked away from it was because of high gas prices. A much more fuel efficient Sport Trac with PROPER marketing could do wonders for that market. A Ranger and Sport Trac could both be the same but different. Ranger could become more offroad worthy and able to tow. While the Sport Trac could focus on carrying people and stuff in the bed. Ford has a lot of crossover options, why not have a few different truck options as well?

There is a next Sport Trac but as of last time wescoent on GMI said, it hadnt been greenlighted yet. This is why i believe Kusak said a Ridgeline truck was "not inconceivable" with the interview with MT.

I forgot to ask, why is it taking Ford so long to greenlight the next generation Sport's Trac?

I really hope that Ford introduces/greenlights a new Sport Trac. The Sport Trac has the 2nd highest owner/cult following only behind the Mustang itself. Those are customers Ford needs to keep and not lose. Maybe the F-100 was shelved because it was going to be too much like a regular F-150 afterall. So instead they are going to bring out the new global T6 Ranger and a uni-body Sport Trac to fill that spot. You really gotta remember that the Sport Trac sold 60,000 units a year for a long time back in its heyday, and the only reason people flocked away from it was because of high gas prices. A much more fuel efficient Sport Trac with PROPER marketing could do wonders for that market. A Ranger and Sport Trac could both be the same but different. Ranger could become more offroad worthy and able to tow. While the Sport Trac could focus on carrying people and stuff in the bed. Ford has a lot of crossover options, why not have a few different truck options as well?

Agreed, I think their is room for both the Ranger and Sport's Trac. The Ranger can stay the basic truck while the Sport's Trac stays a well equipped light truck but with better fuel economy than currently.

Maybe the F-100 was shelved because it was going to be too much like a regular F-150 afterall.

Last I remember reading was that they weren't getting the fuel economy gains they had expected, that coupled with the fact that IIRC I think they were achieving the F-100's mileage targets with the future F-150.

Last I remember reading was that they weren't getting the fuel economy gains they had expected, that coupled with the fact that IIRC I think they were achieving the F-100's mileage targets with the future F-150.

Motortrend has an excellent article on why the F100 project was canceled. Ford publicly stated that the F100 project was shelved and that it would be considered if available technology and the market were right for its introduction.

Part of what killed the F100 was that they wanted to lighten the Frame and place a smaller engine in the truck. Once they did that they found the towing capacity to be smaller than what buyers wanted. So they beefed up the frame and the fuel milage suffered. The other problem was that is they kept the lighter frame and smaller engine they were very close to the capabilities of the new T6. Ford would be taking sale away from two profitable vehicles namely the F150 and the T6 for a low production vehicle (F100) this along with other factors convinced Ford to not build the F100.

Personally I disagree with having both the T6 and a unibody Sport Trac. Unless ford can sell well over 100k of each, or share enough mechanics with the D3 Explorer, it would not be a profitable venture. If the T6 can indeed fullfull 90% of what the old Sport Trac's market why build both. My second thought on this is a unibody version of both vehicles sitting side by side is that the dimentions would be similar and the fule milage would also be within 2 MPG of each other.

Last time I looked Ford was planning on the T6 selling over 375k units worldwide per year.

I will grant you that IF Ford thinks it can make money on a unibody sport trac, then we will see one. I just don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

I will grant you that IF Ford thinks it can make money on a unibody sport trac, then we will see one. I just don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

Where I live Sport's Trac's are all over the place, it seems to be a quite popular truck. I agree with your sentiment though, if the next Ranger can do everything the current Sport's Trac can their is no reason to make a next generation Sport's Trac.

Where I live Sport's Trac's are all over the place, it seems to be a quite popular truck. I agree with your sentiment though, if the next Ranger can do everything the current Sport's Trac can their is no reason to make a next generation Sport's Trac.

I'd have to agree with you on that.

It might have already but word hasnt gotten out yet.

"SPORT TRAC"

A four door T-6 Ranger will fill the spot. And it should be a lot nicer with more capacity than the current Sport Trac.

Sure hope so, as even the international Ranger isn't up to par compared to the F-150 (In terms of options and materials).

WHAT IF...

Ford used "Sport Trac" as a configuration name

for the 2 rows of 'real' seating with a short bed

on multiple platforms

so

T6 = Ranger-SportTrac

D4 = Explorer-SportTrac

maybe an F150-SportTrac, too

& even a Transit-SportTrac

???

Sure hope so, as even the international Ranger isn't up to par compared to the F-150 (In terms of options and materials).

We'll be getting the next generation T6/global Ranger, which will (I'd assume) be built with US consumption in mind, which would mean better materials and more/better options, etc.

WHAT IF...

Ford used "Sport Trac" as a configuration name

for the 2 rows of 'real' seating with a short bed

on multiple platforms

so

T6 = Ranger-SportTrac

D4 = Explorer-SportTrac

maybe an F150-SportTrac, too

& even a Transit-SportTrac

???

It's a thought, but I don't see it happening.

Ford already has the 'SuperCrew', 'SuperCab', etc. for the trucks, and for consistency and tradition (especially in the case of the trucks, which is obviously a Ford strong point), I see them sticking with the current setup.

But, now that I'm thinking about it, "Ranger" was at one time a trim level of the F-series trucks.

We'll be getting the next generation T6/global Ranger, which will (I'd assume) be built with US consumption in mind, which would mean better materials and more/better options, etc.

I wonder when we will start seeing photo's? Oh btw will the next generation Ranger have IRS?

Edited by PA Dweller