US News Report Worst Used Cars: Explorer made it to the list

As a huge Mustang fanatic and owner of 2 different models over the past 5 years, I am honestly very surprised to see them on the "Best" list. It seems as though the vast majority of the GT and Cobra models have been beaten to shit by teens/moron drivers, and the V6 models have just been neglected. I mean I guess they are fairly reliable, I've always been very meticulous about how I keep mine, but I don't know how other Mustangs have held up over the years.... Most of the ones I see around don't look that great.

This is also to do with people's perceptions and expectations of the car.

Trim was falling off a Ford/Chev is a hanging offence but if the same thing happens to a Huyndai,

the owner shrugs the shoulders and say "Meh what do you expect, it's a Korean car"

As a huge Mustang fanatic and owner of 2 different models over the past 5 years, I am honestly very surprised to see them on the "Best" list. It seems as though the vast majority of the GT and Cobra models have been beaten to shit by teens/moron drivers, and the V6 models have just been neglected. I mean I guess they are fairly reliable, I've always been very meticulous about how I keep mine, but I don't know how other Mustangs have held up over the years.... Most of the ones I see around don't look that great.

I dunno, go to a Ford car show like Fabulous Fords at Knottsberry Farm....there are a lot of pristine Mustangs old, new and everything in between. I think percentage wise we maintain them pretty well.

I clay/wax mine every 3 months.

Not a surprise the Explorer made the list. Interesting they mentioned the cracked window panel and the faulty transmissions. My step-mother's 02 has both. :stirpot:

In Ford's defense my brothers 1995 Explorer ran like a top with 280K on it. And he floored it every chance he could.

Edited by the_spaniard

I like the comment about the rattly interiors in the SN95 Stangs. My moms 02 has 49K miles on it and after driving it for the first time in a while, i was suprised how many creaks were going on inside. Mechanically its been GREAT, but man that interior is noisy now.

Back in -02 bought my wife a brand new XLT w/V6 motor, leather interior, 2WD. It had a bad transmission solenoid, the famous whine in the rear end, a bad power window motor, and the very thin cheap leather they put on the seats wore out very quickly. I traded it in with 45K miles on it for a Toyota 4Runner, which has 62,000 trouble free miles.

I know why the Explorer made it on the list......

Back in -02 bought my wife a brand new XLT w/V6 motor, leather interior, 2WD. It had a bad transmission solenoid, the famous whine in the rear end, a bad power window motor, and the very thin cheap leather they put on the seats wore out very quickly. I traded it in with 45K miles on it for a Toyota 4Runner, which has 62,000 trouble free miles.

I know why the Explorer made it on the list......

I like the comment about the rattly interiors in the SN95 Stangs. My moms 02 has 49K miles on it and after driving it for the first time in a while, i was suprised how many creaks were going on inside. Mechanically its been GREAT, but man that interior is noisy now.

I hear this 100%. My 99 GT has been FLAWLESS mechanically. I am pretty easy on it (5spd manual), but I do have my occasional 3/4 to floored romps and flirt with the upper rev range (which, admitedly, is the only place the car actually makes some nice power). I haven't done anything except oil changes. But, the interior is wretched and awful. It squeaks and rattles like none other. Embarassingly, even the emergency brake handle rattles (makes me feel secure about how sturdy the ebrake handle is!). But, yeah .. those cars are solid as a rock mechanically. Another annoying thing is that my ball joints are noisey as heck, but I can't do anything about them until they're replaced. I hear there's a lubrication I can do to them, but I am not sure ...

Now this is quite a dictomy; the Mustang and Explorer share engines, and auto trans. How can one be good, but not the other?

In the years the Explorer was having tranny issues, it wasn't being used in the Mustang, at least to my recollection. I find their complaints about the 4.6 to be more or less unfounded. And while the old 4.0 is outdated, from my experiences with them, they've been reliable.

Another thing about the 2002-2005 Explorers is that they had a new transmission in them that didn't have a dipstick in them to check the oil in them! My Parents 02 EB Explorer ran great engine-wise, just the rest of the drive train was crap...they had the Rear Diff, Transmission and bellhousing replaced on it before getting rid of it for a 08 Sable. My sisters 06 Explorer Limited with a V8 runs good except the crappy MPG's she gets with it! Keep away from the 3 Gen Explorers!

Eh, my brother and his wife have an '03 V8 and an '08 V6, both 4x4. Neither has had tranny problems or any other serious issues that I'm aware of.

2006-current is the 4th Gen Model...even though they might look identical...they are different under the skin.

The 03 V8 looks to have shared the same transmission as the Mustang did...though the V6 models have also and according to this website there looks to be some sort of manufacturing issue with the 2002 transmission vs 2003...it went from 686 complaints to 183 complaints in 2003! :eek:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2002/

Call it a different gen if you want, but it still shares almost all the same mechanicals even though the frame is different.

Well its obvious there was some sort of manufacturing issue with the 02 Explorer's Transmission from that link I posted...I wonder why it was so jacked up...how can you from cutting your problems better then half from one year to another...