St. Thomas Assembly Is Done in 2011

STAPRAP

Bill Russo, Director of Manufacturing, visited St. Thomas today and held a salaried Town Hall meeting this afternoon. Word is he delivered the news that the Plant will shut down in 2011. He met with Scott Smith our CAW Plant Chairman prior to the town hall meeting so I imagine Scott got the news then. No surprise given the lack of money we've got to keep the plant running but still you had a hope there was a future

Now we'll have to see what Ken Lewenza can come up with.

Bill Russo, Director of Manufacturing, visited St. Thomas today and held a salaried Town Hall meeting this afternoon. Word is he delivered the news that the Plant will shut down in 2011. He met with Scott Smith our CAW Plant Chairman prior to the town hall meeting so I imagine Scott got the news then. No surprise given the lack of money we've got to keep the plant running but still you had a hope there was a future

Edited by gocash

Nobody knows on the floor what is going on this crap about closing should stop until there is something said people should just shut their mouth come to work and do their job. As for people knowing our plant was closing because of the buyouts? don't they know that people that are entitled to receive a full pension do not get a severence package? So why would ford offer 700 buyouts if we were closing. You people make me laugh on how much of your spare time you waste trying to figure out what is going to happen.

so we should be hearing this tonight on the local news ?

I doubt this is true but if it is don't you find the timing odd?

Caw walks away from the bargaing table and Ford wants

The new deal like Gm/Chrysler so now they say Stap is

Closing.I'll believe when I see how these negotiations go

until it's just posturing if this even happened.

I thought it could be posturing also or a scare tactic until I just heard from a London cop that the STAP grounds have been sold to McCaigs and city of Toronto for use as a transfer station for Toronto's garbage disposal by rail,then transferred to landfill by truck.Not totally sure if it is true,but why would a cop make it up?I guess we are going to find out something very soon since things will be heating up in the morning on day shift....If it is true I just wish our Union would tell it like it is,not delay it for the sake of a "save some face,Fight back" bullshit situation,which we won't win if its a done deal.

This is no surprise Ford has been leading up to this for the past 4 years. Whitey Macdonald was told this in the September 2005 negotations and we were all told by the Union in April 2008 ratifications at Centenial Hall that Ford wanted to shut down STAP because there was no product to build which is bullshit from what I see that they have on the drawing board.

As for Kenny...live to fight another day is what we'll here.

This is no surprise Ford has been leading up to this for the past 4 years. Whitey Macdonald was told this in the September 2005 negotations and we were all told by the Union in April 2008 ratifications at Centenial Hall that Ford wanted to shut down STAP because there was no product to build which is bullshit from what I see that they have on the drawing board.

As for Kenny...live to fight another day is what we'll here.

I thought it could be posturing also or a scare tactic until I just heard from a London cop that the STAP grounds have been sold to McCaigs and city of Toronto for use as a transfer station for Toronto's garbage disposal by rail,then transferred to landfill by truck.Not totally sure if it is true,but why would a cop make it up?I guess we are going to find out something very soon since things will be heating up in the morning on day shift....If it is true I just wish our Union would tell it like it is,not delay it for the sake of a "save some face,Fight back" bullshit situation,which we won't win if its a done deal.

The property ford sold is between talbotville and st thomas across from the jehovah witness chruch , it is 750 or so acres. It is not the property that ford STAP is sitting on.

As for closing, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. If they do close I hope national negotiates a good severance package, but lately negotiating seems to be a lost art.

but why would a cop make it up?

Why does anyone make stuff up?

Really, you are taking the word of a cop who probably drives a Honda. Wait, wasn't the land sold to Canada's Wonderland at one point too?

Welcome to scare tactics to get the advantage come bargaining time fellas.

+1

The Company has been holding the closing date over your head like the 'Sword of Damocles' forever, and to a lesser extent to the rest of us in the CAW. Sorry guys, but if they come back with another 1 year extension for STAP if we vote yes for worse than Government Motors and Fiat got...Ford can GFT.

+1

The Company has been holding the closing date over your head like the 'Sword of Damocles' forever, and to a lesser extent to the rest of us in the CAW. Sorry guys, but if they come back with another 1 year extension for STAP if we vote yes for worse than Government Motors and Fiat got...Ford can GFT.

Everyone is getting tired of having the gun at our heads all the time... I can't speak for the general membership... but I agree... something or nothing this time.... just don't give a F*** anymore. Take it or leave it Ford.... I need a new car... but it will be a cold day in hell before I buy another Ford product until we get a commitment Mr Mullaly!!!!

+1

Pretty brave talk.

It seems to me that it is about time that the CAW and its members understood that Ford can move all its production out of Canada if it so chooses. Ford needs to be competitive; and sacrifices need to be made.

The CAW leadership should have been having ongoing discussions with Ford for the last year as to what it would take to keep St. Thomas going because as long as you're still working, there is a chance. But once it's gone...it's gone for good. But I haven't heard a whole lot other than bravado and BS.

So this round of bargaining ought to give up exactly what GM and Chrysler did.....that is unavoidable. But Ford is - for sure - in far better shape than GM and Chrysler and so in return for the concessions, Ford should be asked to extend St. Thomas' life for at least one more year; and to agree to worthwhile severance packages.

The CAW is bargaining from a very very weak position. The concessions are a done deal....but getting something back just might be possible.

IF the info about STAP closing is true, my thots go out to everybody there. I'm sure it's been a good place to work, and those vehicles have been around 4 evah!

OTOH, join the club: NAP, AAP, SLAP, OTP, Lorain, Wixom, Chesterfield Trim, Indianapolis Steering (2011), and several more I can't remember.

Pretty brave talk.

It seems to me that it is about time that the CAW and its members understood that Ford can move all its production out of Canada if it so chooses. Ford needs to be competitive; and sacrifices need to be made.

The CAW leadership should have been having ongoing discussions with Ford for the last year as to what it would take to keep St. Thomas going because as long as you're still working, there is a chance. But once it's gone...it's gone for good. But I haven't heard a whole lot other than bravado and BS.

So this round of bargaining ought to give up exactly what GM and Chrysler did.....that is unavoidable. But Ford is - for sure - in far better shape than GM and Chrysler and so in return for the concessions, Ford should be asked to extend St. Thomas' life for at least one more year; and to agree to worthwhile severance packages.

The CAW is bargaining from a very very weak position. The concessions are a done deal....but getting something back just might be possible.

According to my sources which are highly reliable Bill Russo DID NOT deliver news to salary personnel that STAP will shut down in 2011.A meeting with Russo and salary personnel did take place however and a "worst case" scenario was discussed amongst themselves.That is all I know at this point.

Edited by gocash

thats crazy, why do you say the focus should be there?.............

I think the focus should be there as a back-up plan in case of a "broken promise" of investment or new product happens after any newly negotiated contract. I think if we absolutely have no choice but to give concessions to remain competitive with GM/Chrysler Canada, we should at least make sure that we have a severance package equal to or better than what the CAW negotiated for the employees at the GM Truck Plant in Oshawa earlier this year.

Thanks thats what i meant

Focus on what your going to get if there is a closure

as said above if you have 30yrs do you get a severance package ? ..do you get what we got 70k plus car voucher ?..etc..etc

Scott and the boys should be quelling these rumours now ..enough of the crap

What's with all the rumours? "Word is Ford is closing". Word from who? I asked about this today and was told no such meeting with Scott took place. The meeting was to congratulate our plant on the excellent safety standards we met and surpassed, not to discuss plant closure. The guy is a safety guy, nothing more. Get your story straight before repeating nonsense with no factual basis. :banghead: