Ford has no plans for St. Thomas plant after 2011

Ford has no plans for St. Thomas plant after 2011

Tue, July 7, 2009

Staggered in recent years by layoffs and slumping sales, the Ford St. Thomas assembly plant has been dealt what may be its final body blow.

In a recent meeting with Ford of Canada, Canadian Auto Workers union officials were told all three vehicles made at the plant will be phased out — and no replacement vehicles are planned after 2011.

"You do not have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. If we do not have a new product they will close the plant," said Scott Smith, chairperson of CAW Local 1520 at the plant.

"There are a lot of people's livelihoods at stake here and it is hard for people to hear what the reality is."

But Ford stopped short of saying it is a plant closure — meaning the CAW will work for two years to bargain with Ford and lobby for provincial and federal government support to retool and try land a new vehicle for the plant, he added.

"The fact of the matter is we have a lot of work to do and we all have to come together to make this happen," said Smith.

While Ford announced after its 2008 agreement there was no product planned for St. Thomas, this announcement goes further in saying there is no chance for an extension, said Dennis DesRosiers, national automotive analyst.

"It is nothing new, but they have not been as firm as this appears to be," said DesRosier. "This plant has been on the bubble for a long time. It does not look good."

The plant Wednesday begins a six-week summer shutdown. It has just over 1,400 hourly employees and less than 100 salaried workers.

The CAW's meeting with Joe Hendricks, vice-president Ford of Canada was held in Windsor Monday afternoon.

More

:nonono:

The St. Thomas plant assembles the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car, all large rear-wheel drive cars, and Ford is already positioning the Taurus to take over its fleet taxi and police-cruiser sales, and has a replacement planned for the Town Car. It will cease production of its slow selling Grand Marquis, said CAW national president Ken Lewenza.

Yes....because the public has bought the D3 in droves, now fleet buyers will too. :headscratch:

But the D3s are not replacing the Panthers. :reading: :cheerleader:

Can I justify buying a new Grand Marquis in 2011 when my current one will only have 130,000 miles? Doubtful, but it might be worth it to avoid the upcoming Obamamobiles that will be shoved down our throats.

At least they will not be using the Grand Marquis name on any future Euro-japanese crackerbox car that Mercury will be peddling to women and metrosexuals. They should just put Mercury out of it's misery, as it has been getting really ugly for the last few years, and it will only decline further.

The last real Ford automobile being built - and the last representation of when the United States knew how to design their own vehicles, and was proud of that fact. That obviously no longer fits with the times.

Can I justify buying a new Grand Marquis in 2011 when my current one will only have 130,000 miles? Doubtful, but it might be worth it to avoid the upcoming Obamamobiles that will be shoved down our throats.

At least they will not be using the Grand Marquis name on any future Euro-japanese crackerbox car that Mercury will be peddling to women and metrosexuals. They should just put Mercury out of it's misery, as it has been getting really ugly for the last few years, and it will only decline further.

The last real Ford automobile being built - and the last representation of when the United States knew how to design their own vehicles, and was proud of that fact. That obviously no longer fits with the times.

Well said Taxman.

Can I justify buying a new Grand Marquis in 2011 when my current one will only have 130,000 miles?

Sadly, that's probably the reason why the Panthers are going away, they're too long lived.

Those that buy new, keep them for ages because they're so reliable and many other

admirers simply see a bargain and buy second hand instead of buying new.

Viewed from a distance, it is my opinion that had the Panther been allowed

to evolve progressivelly like the Falcon, things would be completely different.

Edited by jpd80

Well said long live the panthers long live the last real American cars on the road today .

:nonono:

Yes....because the public has bought the D3 in droves, now fleet buyers will too. :headscratch:

But the D3s are not replacing the Panthers. :reading: :cheerleader:

More conjecture from the author, not a statement from Ford, as has basically always been the case in regards to D3.

This is for the Panther Mafia: :violin:

Edited by NickF1011

Time will only tell if the D3 platform will last 30+ years though.

Of course it won't. And it shouldn't. No platform today will run for 30 years. No platform was ever supposed to last 30 years. The only platforms that have lasted that long did so out of neglect, not out of some genius of design. And well, it's a bit of a stretch to say the Panther platform of today is the same one that existed 30 years ago. They are the same in name only.

Edited by NickF1011

These days, it's a Canadian car.

That's nothing new. Years back the state had a "Buy American" clause. When it was found that the CV was not considered a American car, it was changed. there was nothing better at the time.

But that was many years ago and other alternatives exist. The demise of the car was not due to the quality of those working at the plant. Ford just let it die. Their reasons? Who knows. Probably the economy mixed with new buyers wants in their next car. The CV appealed to an older segment of the driving public and that impression never was changed. Think CV and you think police, taxi or gray haired senior.

If kept in production beyond 2011 and ford would still sell to LE but the numbers would not make the extension financially worth the effort. All of the LE are sold at a cut rate price leaving little room for a decent profit margin. Too bad as I think ford could have come up with some nice modifications to bring it into todays technological arena. Ford Fleet managed to do so with the options that allowed the conversion much quicker than any other manufacturer's platform.

---

2 out of 3 paragraphs IS pretty darn good

but

the omitted middle one. . .

At least they will not be using the Grand Marquis name on any future Crackerbox car that Mercury will be peddling to whoever buys them

(prejudices & stereotypes are NOT necessary).

They should be making extensive plans to capitalize on their Ace-in-the-Hole (MERC) which will Save the Company in a few years IF they don't bungle it.

fixed^

...If kept in production beyond 2011 and ford would still sell to LE but the numbers would not make the extension financially worth the effort. All of the LE are sold at a cut rate price leaving little room for a decent profit margin. Too bad as I think ford could have come up with some nice modifications to bring it into todays technological arena. Ford Fleet managed to do so with the options that allowed the conversion much quicker than any other manufacturer's platform.

maybe, SINCE THERE DOESN'T APPEAR TO AN ALTERNATIVE FROM ANY OTHER MFG,

Fomoco can raise the prices to provide a modest profit WITH updates.

(sorry for shouting... ...still upset by that middle paragraph's original form)

ps

These days, it's a Canadian car.
Well said long live the panthers long live the last real Canadian cars on the road today .

Are you happy now ? :)

Canada is the only part of N.A. hasn't pissed me off lately ;)

A Toyota Avalon might not be a Panther, but an Avalon that costs $5,000 less than an updated Panther will be a lot more attractive than if there is no price difference at all. (That's even disregarding the fuel efficiency problem.). Ford needs to compete with all large cars, not just V8 RWD cars, regardless of what Panther loyalists think.

And so far, the Hyundai Genesis doesn't look like a run-away success to me.

Edited by nelsonlu

^ I remember reading quite some time ago that Thugota was re-interpreting the Avalon as a plus-sized-Crummery, Nelson

Don't know if that's still what's happening but

if-or-not, think the Fusion & Taurus have that covered...

...Even IF that "T brand" could improve their 'quality' to Near-Ford levels :yup:

re: St.Tom, I rather hope they're one of the GRwdP plants ;)

There is an alternative. The charger is already a few thousand less per unit. Raising the price of a CV will only further erode the sales. Town managers are cutting budgets. If anyone is actually allowed to replace the vehicles it isn't going to be with one that is thousands more than one that will suit the needs of the department. No longer can anyone say that the Charger is going to fail. The comments on the problems were based on the early models and those problems have been corrected. NJ state contract sales have the CV at only 52 percent as of 2008. The cars are out the door at 20K. There is not much profit and no one is going to raise the price hoping to keep the line alive. In any case once the equipment designed for the charger is purchased, no one is going to go back to a CV only to replace all of that serviceable equipment once again.

If the Charger survives, it will get most of the police market, with the Impala and Tahoe getting the balance. The Taurus is a nonstarter unless they cut the price dramatically, and then they are in the same position as they are with the CVPI, only selling a vastly inferior product for police work.

The only way Ford keeps much of the market is if someone does for the CVPI what they did for the Caprice after it was cancelled - rebuilders refurbished them for police agencies. We still had some Caprice being used by the freeway patrol up until about 2 years ago.

I've read many times that the Charger doesn't have enough room in its trunk or front seating area for the equipment that many officers have to bring or wear...

...to be an effective all-purpose vehicle

&

once one starts talking niche-roles, Fomoco has plenty of models to cover them

also

what's going to happen to all the Charger re-orders if Chrysler's new partner(s) want to change the special equipments' roof/anchor-points?

OR if the LEO buying depts. just aren't convinced that their concerns will rank that high in the future?

maybe IF the Impala goes unchanged. . .

re builders refurbished them for police agencies

It was tried and we looked into it but the costs were too high and in the end you still had an older car. That was a major push for the CV in the mid 90's. The Caprice was a great LE vehicle.

I've read many times that the Charger doesn't have enough room in its trunk or front seating area for the equipment that many officers have to bring or wear...

...to be an effective all-purpose vehicle

You hear Wrong. the front of the charger is more comfortable than the CV. The truck in about the same. We have more equipment now than two years ago when the CV was the only vehicle used and we have no problem fitting it in.

As far as the vehicles being changed, Ford did the exact same thing. Changes made, subtle as they were required minor changes to the equipment. The major parts still work. all that was required was a change in brackets.

Ford can easily stay in the market but it most likely will not be with the CV we know today.

More conjecture from the author, not a statement from Ford, as has basically always been the case in regards to D3.

This is for the Panther Mafia: :violin:

Eloquently put, but I still haven't heard how anything I stated was in error.....unless you were referring to the text of the article. :reading:

Eloquently put, but I still haven't heard how anything I stated was in error.....unless you were referring to the text of the article. :reading:

Not saying you are in error. Just saying that your statement is conjecture, based on the author's conjecture. Nothing can directly tie D3 to the Panther's demise, as much as you want it to.