Guessing what's happening at STAP/Ford/CAW

stapelec

A reskinned and redesigned CV, GM and TC.
There will be no, absolutely no, reskinned and redesigned CV, GM and TC program. That platform is dead as far as future product plans are concerned. There is no way they will try to sell them after CAFE was tightened last year. And this I know for an absolute fact.

There will be no, absolutely no, reskinned and redesigned CV, GM and TC program. That platform is dead as far as future product plans are concerned. There is no way they will try to sell them after CAFE was tightened last year. And this I know for an absolute fact.

What's going to replace the CV as a police car? Road and track tested the Taurus and they said it's got plenty of pep but the interior space is limited. Chargers break down and can't hold up to the punishment. The 2010 Taurus Sho is $48,000 less all the aftermarket equipment. Maybe the Falcon? What's you opinion? Are the just going to extend Stap one more year if the bottom falls out with the launch of the Taurus. What if the cops don't want it?

What's going to replace the CV as a police car? Road and track tested the Taurus and they said it's got plenty of pep but the interior space is limited. Chargers break down and can't hold up to the punishment. The 2010 Taurus Sho is $48,000 less all the aftermarket equipment. Maybe the Falcon? What's you opinion? Are the just going to extend Stap one more year if the bottom falls out with the launch of the Taurus. What if the cops don't want it?

The Impala, many departments are already ordering them. Google it.

The fundemental issue here is that Ford is demanding from the UAW the same concessions that GM and Chrysler workers gave up. Part of the GM deal was that three assembly plants would remain in the GM fold should sales pick up. I am sure that the UAW would demand the same from Ford should any more concessions be given up. That may mean a new product for Wayne Aseembly when the Focus is moved to Michigan Truck/Assembly next door, or a reopening of Norfolk or Wixom with production being moved back from Mexico.

With that being said, I wish the best for St. Thomas. I feel that Ford does have a niche with the CV/GM/TC- the last of the truly full-sized American sedans. I am sure there would be perpetual 100,000 a year demand for those cars should they remain in the lineup.

this is such an accurate statement

look at the mini, the landcruiser ..fj40, the rx8 ..so many 100,000 unit products

how come Toyota Honda Bmw can make a go of 100,000 unit products

STAP may have been able to meet that production level,had Ford not decided to discontinue sales to retail buyers. It certainly would add a few more sales in the last couple of years,maybe not too many,but there are buyers for the CV/GM and Lincoln,when it was available. The population isn't getting any younger...

this is such an accurate statement

look at the mini, the landcruiser ..fj40, the rx8 ..so many 100,000 unit products

how come Toyota Honda Bmw can make a go of 100,000 unit products

Because they are built on flexible manufacturing platforms. Ford is doing the same thing with the Flex and MKT, small production numbers, but the plant makes more than just that particular unit.

Whatever replaces it, it won't be the CV. As big as the police market is, it's not even supporting more than one shift, at one plant, for Ford. Personally, I think it's unlikely that they're going to stay with a RWD car for police duty, unless it's a truck based SUV. All I know for certain is that as far as my Ford Research & Engineering contacts (a couple of neighbors and a family friend), plus major suppliers I know, say there is no CV replacement program being worked on, and it would have to have already been started on to get tooling ordered in time to start production sometime during 2011, and no one I know sees the Panther cars on Ford's time line past 2011 calender year.

Whatever replaces it, it won't be the CV. As big as the police market is, it's not even supporting more than one shift, at one plant, for Ford. Personally, I think it's unlikely that they're going to stay with a RWD car for police duty, unless it's a truck based SUV. All I know for certain is that as far as my Ford Research & Engineering contacts (a couple of neighbors and a family friend), plus major suppliers I know, say there is no CV replacement program being worked on, and it would have to have already been started on to get tooling ordered in time to start production sometime during 2011, and no one I know sees the Panther cars on Ford's time line past 2011 calender year.

It's always a pleasure to hear from ya, Lenny!

I wonder: is anybody in fleet sales talking with police departments in the U.S and Canada to see what they need? I mean, jesushchristonaritzcracker, we've owned that market for so long, let's work on keeping it!

If we can modify, say, the Taurus to work for local police needs, let's do it.

I wonder: is anybody in fleet sales talking with police departments in the U.S and Canada to see what they need? I mean, jesushchristonaritzcracker, we've owned that market for so long, let's work on keeping it!

This runs counter to Ford's expressed desire to get out of the fleet business. The profit margins on fleet business are simply not worth the hassle (or the R&D costs....and warranty costs.....etc, etc)

If anyone in the CAW/Cdn Gov't had half a brain, they would be coming up with a huge incentive package to encourage someone like Magna (buying GM's Opel operations?); or Hyundai (fast-growing and apparently looking for capacity); or Fiat (looking to bring small cars to teh North American market); or even Ford (never one to turn the other cheek to a big wad of incentive money)...........to buy the Plant and the workforce and start building another product in 2011.

Hey Pumpmaster - how ya been?

Last I heard anything on the subject come from anyone at Ford, it was Mark Fields saying something they're "working" on a cop car replacement, but as near as I can tell, it's just words.

Hey Pumpmaster - how ya been?

Last I heard anything on the subject come from anyone at Ford, it was Mark Fields saying something they're "working" on a cop car replacement, but as near as I can tell, it's just words.

The new Taurus will be the replacement vehicle for police and taxi fleet sales.Will it hold up the the demands of fleet driving remains to be seen.

It has been mentioned that the lineup at STAP could be going to Chicago. A time study woman from Dearborn was said to have slipped it to an FPS in paint. Her quote was " I don't know why they are moving this car to Chicago".

Edited by after-the-rack

It has been mentioned that the lineup at STAP could be going to Chicago. A time study woman from Dearborn was said to have slipped it to an FPS in paint. Her quote was " I don't know why they are moving this car to Chicago".

STAPs line up of cars has been slated to be phased out in 2010-2011 for years now.The current vehicle would not be moved to Chicago that is for sure,It may be redesigned and reskinned then built elsewhere,anything is possible.The time study woman may have been referring to the new Taurus that will be built in Chicago.Ford is offering the Taurus as a replacement to the fleet cop cars and taxis. Fords intentions are to have flex plants in North America going forward. Either STAP somehow gets investment from Ford and the Canadian gov't or it is closing or being sold.

The Impala, many departments are already ordering them. Google it.

Could this be happening because the government(s) are now part owners and want to push the product that they have shares in? Seems to be good buisness practice. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that even up here in Canada that Police forces will be forced to tender to either Gm for the Impala or Chrysler for Charger.

STAPs line up of cars has been slated to be phased out in 2010-2011 for years now.The current vehicle would not be moved to Chicago that is for sure,It may be redesigned and reskinned then built elsewhere,anything is possible.The time study woman may have been referring to the new Taurus that will be built in Chicago.Ford is offering the Taurus as a replacement to the fleet cop cars and taxis. Fords intentions are to have flex plants in North America going forward. Either STAP somehow gets investment from Ford and the Canadian gov't or it is closing or being sold.

I was also talking to a rep who was in the meeting with Ford and he said they were told not to bother with our government money that President Obama has his cheque book open to the auto industry so money was not an issue. Bargaining tactics possibly. I am sure STAP needs quite an overhaul to be flexed. They were told all existing plants will be flexed and that OAC wasn't running at capacity and needed 2 or 3 more vehicles. I can't imagine Ford pulling 3 to 6 extra vehicles out of their hat to keep us open, I believe our days are numbered.

Edited by after-the-rack

Well the battle in the press is to keep STAP open

Windsor Star

Reminds me of how much I gave up last time because Ford committed to a third shift in Oakville and brought a whole bunch of ILO's from other plants.They got jobs just long enough to move here before they got dropped into the shitter.

The battle to keep STAP open is fine as long as it is with long term investment such as a flex plant...any reprieve or short extension for STAP and I'm a big NO vote....we need to try and keep both Canadian assembly plants and a double digit percentage of Canadian production in North America for LONG TERM in order to even think about giving Ford any concessions. I will not sell-out Oakville brothers and sisters with a YES vote for anything else....I will go down with the ship,before selling-out.

The battle to keep STAP open is fine as long as it is with long term investment such as a flex plant...any reprieve or short extension for STAP and I'm a big NO vote....we need to try and keep both Canadian assembly plants and a double digit percentage of Canadian production in North America for LONG TERM in order to even think about giving Ford any concessions. I will not sell-out Oakville brothers and sisters with a YES vote for anything else....I will go down with the ship,before selling-out.

I feel the same and its good to see many others on here too have had enough

Edited by crownvicsparky

your dead on buddy. I've worked at stap for 8 years and I'm sick of the lies. Ford needs to shit and get off the pot

your dead on buddy. I've worked at stap for 8 years and I'm sick of the lies. Ford needs to shit and get off the pot

8 years? 8 fucking years!!!

I love it how the ones with less than 10 years seniority start whining about how their so hard done by. Pull your head out of your ass for a minute and look around. :banghead:

I love it how the ones with less than 10 years seniority start whining about how their so hard done by. Pull your head out of your ass for a minute and look around. :banghead:

So exactly how many years seniority does one need, to be able to complain and state their opinions?

You should take your own advice from the OAC thread and as you say to trimdingman

"speak when your spoken too you."

As for Ford wanting the same deal as the others employee wise,without offering up the same deal business and executive wise, my vote is no. Always has been always will be.

It really doesn't matter if you got 8 years or 18 years, STAP's been jerked around long enough.

I don't feel like im so hard done by , my family and i just want to know whats going on.

Ed im not sure how many years you've got in but you seem like a bit of a dildo