New Mustang coming to NHRA ProStock

After years of neglecting drag racing and playing with Asscar, Ford may actually be stepping up. The Patricks have always been die hard Ford folks with ZERO Ford corporate backing. They ran full seasons in the past out of their own pocket (R&D, no sponsors, etc.) and still stayed loyal. Hope they do well.

"“We have contemplated a return to NHRA competition for some time, but returning would have meant turning our backs on Ford to have a chance to be competitive,” Patrick said. “We just didn’t have enough Ford participation in the class. But now that Ford is showing an interest and developing some new parts and pieces, we are ready to have at it.”"

http://www.nhra.com/story/2009/7/27/patric...-2010-mustang-/

patrick.jpg

Edited by Hydro

After years of neglecting drag racing and playing with Asscar, Ford may actually be stepping up. The Patricks have always been die hard Ford folks with ZERO Ford corporate backing. They ran full seasons in the past out of their own pocket (R&D, no sponsors, etc.) and still stayed loyal. Hope they do well.

"“We have contemplated a return to NHRA competition for some time, but returning would have meant turning our backs on Ford to have a chance to be competitive,” Patrick said. “We just didn’t have enough Ford participation in the class. But now that Ford is showing an interest and developing some new parts and pieces, we are ready to have at it.”"

http://www.nhra.com/story/2009/7/27/patric...-2010-mustang-/

patrick.jpg

well, while I will still question tha validity of the business model that thinks this will be somehow beneficial to ford...at least IT LOOKS LIKE A MUSTANG!

i would rather see ford use the mustang in this type of venue compared to that boring sunday afternoon venue...golf or racing? i choose neither and instead watch the food channel..but i would may be tune in to drag racing as i always enjoyed that form of racing over the other..either way getting the mustang brand out on sunday at the tracks spells decent marketing by ford..at least in my view

I think it's awesome that they are getting into pro stock, but I MUCH prefer Stock and SuperStock. The problem with ford has always been, they finally decide to do something, spend anything and everything to completly dominate and then turn around and walk away as if to say "see I told you we could kick butt if we wanted". There are many examples but unless your into dragracing and have been since the "performance years" you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Deanh, you either get it or you don't. If you can't understand the passion and emotion involved in rooting for a particular brand at the races, it can't be explained. I've gotten into fist fights and more over who won, why, ford sucks,chevy sucks, etc. Immense pride in running a ford because it's always considered the underdog...or worse. A chevy wins and people cheer, mopar wins, some cheers and some booing, a ford wins and the line is drawn in the sand. Ford on one side cheering and tenfold of chevy fans booing. Many times when I was younger I was the only ford streetracing against a dozen mopars and chevies.

I've gone into ford dealerships (one in Petawawa and one in Pembroke) and asked who Bob Glidden is. When I got a blank stare I asked if anybody was into dragracing. Blank stare, I walked out. I travelled almost an hour away and asked in Ottawa and got an answer. I bought a new car on the spot. (Yes I was out to get one regardless) That was in '94. In '96 when the lease was up I went back and the guy was gone, lucky for them another guy was into cars and was not just up on the latest options. I leased another. In 98 I bought a new windstar at Steele ford in Halifax. Although they weren't into dragracing they had stockcar stuff all over and not only the salesmen but the parts guys knew who Bill elliot was. The dealership sponsored two local stock cars. I made a point of saying exactly WHY I was buying from them.

The wife wants a new fiesta when they come out, yes I will do the same "test" yet again.

It shouldn't be just a "job". But then everybody isn't a die hard ford nutcase like me either I suppose. LOL!

(rereading this it looks like I singled you out to dump on Dean, sorry, it wasn't meant that way..I just get carried away in defence of ford and dragracing)

well, while I will still question tha validity of the business model that thinks this will be somehow beneficial to ford...at least IT LOOKS LIKE A MUSTANG!

The 2010 body is pretty slick. It's 6" narrower than the 2009. The other dimensions are scaled to NHRA rules meaning this Mustang is about the same size as the Cobalt. They developed it in CAD, built a small renwood model to test and evaluate. The full mock up was then tested in Lokheed's tunnel. It has less drag than the G8 , Cobalt, or Dodge.

I think it's awesome that they are getting into pro stock, but I MUCH prefer Stock and SuperStock. The problem with ford has always been, they finally decide to do something, spend anything and everything to completly dominate and then turn around and walk away as if to say "see I told you we could kick butt if we wanted". There are many examples but unless your into dragracing and have been since the "performance years" you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Deanh, you either get it or you don't. If you can't understand the passion and emotion involved in rooting for a particular brand at the races, it can't be explained. I've gotten into fist fights and more over who won, why, ford sucks,chevy sucks, etc. Immense pride in running a ford because it's always considered the underdog...or worse. A chevy wins and people cheer, mopar wins, some cheers and some booing, a ford wins and the line is drawn in the sand. Ford on one side cheering and tenfold of chevy fans booing. Many times when I was younger I was the only ford streetracing against a dozen mopars and chevies.

I've gone into ford dealerships (one in Petawawa and one in Pembroke) and asked who Bob Glidden is. When I got a blank stare I asked if anybody was into dragracing. Blank stare, I walked out. I travelled almost an hour away and asked in Ottawa and got an answer. I bought a new car on the spot. (Yes I was out to get one regardless) That was in '94. In '96 when the lease was up I went back and the guy was gone, lucky for them another guy was into cars and was not just up on the latest options. I leased another. In 98 I bought a new windstar at Steele ford in Halifax. Although they weren't into dragracing they had stockcar stuff all over and not only the salesmen but the parts guys knew who Bill elliot was. The dealership sponsored two local stock cars. I made a point of saying exactly WHY I was buying from them.

The wife wants a new fiesta when they come out, yes I will do the same "test" yet again.

It shouldn't be just a "job". But then everybody isn't a die hard ford nutcase like me either I suppose. LOL!

(rereading this it looks like I singled you out to dump on Dean, sorry, it wasn't meant that way..I just get carried away in defence of ford and dragracing)

nah, I don't take it personally, my barb was directed more at the Nascar fiasco...but heres something enlightening... I ADORE racing...but ONLY when it is of relevance, and trickle down can be witnessed, Formula one, Moto GP, WSBK, the Rally racing etc....all are WAY more firmly grounded in reality than a fibreglass shell and drivetrain w NO semblence to production vehicles in the slightest. As for drag racing 99% of the drivetrains i beleive are Hemis...even under Ford shells....but anyways, drag racing doesn't bother me half as much as NAS-COMEDY........now I have seen a Mustang drag car that utilizes the new 5.0 to which i give a HUGE thumbs up...once again...relevence...

Edited by Deanh

It's not much of a benefit to Ford's new car sales; however, it is a benefit to Ford Racing/FRPP and its customers.

nah, I don't take it personally, my barb was directed more at the Nascar fiasco...but heres something enlightening... I ADORE racing...but ONLY when it is of relevance, and trickle down can be witnessed, Formula one, Moto GP, WSBK, the Rally racing etc....all are WAY more firmly grounded in reality than a fibreglass shell and drivetrain w NO semblence to production vehicles in the slightest. As for drag racing 99% of the drivetrains i beleive are Hemis...even under Ford shells....but anyways, drag racing doesn't bother me half as much as NAS-COMEDY........now I have seen a Mustang drag car that utilizes the new 5.0 to which i give a HUGE thumbs up...once again...relevence...

NHRA Pro Stock is not like Funny Car. These Mustangs have Ford power. Been that way since 1970. FRPP falls under Farley. He evidently feels there is value there.

Edited by Blue II

NHRA Pro Stock is not like Funny Car. These Mustangs have Ford power. Been that way since 1970. FRPP falls under Farley. He evidently feels there is value there.

I thought Brian Wolfe was running the show at FRPP?

Even though the nitro burning Boss 500 has to fall within NHRA rules (i.e. Chrysler Hemi bore centers, etc.), it is still uniquely developed, partially FRPP financed, and will soon be sold through the FRPP parts cataloge. Technically... those that choose to run the Boss will be running Ford power, and that's closer to a factory powered Fueler than the current crop of qualifiers.

In 2004 there was a resurgence of interest in an alternative engine, and those interested (Walt & Pat Austin) were looking to a Ford design. NHRA quickly closed the door on those ideas with the current rules that limit fuel burning engines to a 4.84" bore centerline. The Ford Lima (429/460) has a 4.90" bore center.

Link: Ford Forums - NHRA bans Boss 429 engine

Edited by therealmrmustang

"relevence" Read this.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/feat...t500/index.html

And this.

http://blogs.popularhotrodding.com/6547365...tems/index.html

Edited by wildosvt

now I have seen a Mustang drag car that utilizes the new 5.0 to which i give a HUGE thumbs up...once again...relevence...

Just curious, Dean, what are you referring to with this statement? I wasn't aware that there were any Mustangs of any sort much less drag cars that were running "the new 5.0", at least none that Ford would allow the public to see... :shrug:

Just curious, Dean, what are you referring to with this statement? I wasn't aware that there were any Mustangs of any sort much less drag cars that were running "the new 5.0", at least none that Ford would allow the public to see... :shrug:

Ford made a car SPECIFICALLY for the drag strips with a new crate 5.0 ( sorry, I kinda threw a curve ball when I said "new"...) I beleive .....( not the Coyote from what I remember ).however...it would NOT surprize me that lessons learned may show up eventually in the "upcoming" drivetrain

Edited by Deanh

This racing stuff goes way back with me. As a young auto enthusiast, I ordered my first new car (a 65 Mustang GT Fastback) from Archway Ford in Baltimore because they sponsored both professional drag racing and road racing entrants. They also had a GT-40 in their showroom for a while in the mid-60s. Even today, if Tasca Ford were in MD, I would deal with them before the other Ford dealers.

Ford made a car SPECIFICALLY for the drag strips with a new crate 5.0 ( sorry, I kinda threw a curve ball when I said "new"...) I beleive .....( not the Coyote from what I remember ).however...it would NOT surprize me that lessons learned may show up eventually in the "upcoming" drivetrain

I assume you are referring to the new "Cobra Jet" program? If so, that car uses a supercharged 5.4L similar to the GT500 engine. It won it's class in the first NHRA national event race it was entered in, repeating the feat accomplished by the original 1968 1/2 428 Cobra Jet Mustang.

Speaking of the Tasca family, the original 428 CJ was the brain child of Bob Tasca SR. Knowing that the 390 Mustangs and Torinos were getting their butts handed to them on the street he had his service dept put together an engine using existing bigblock parts that he felt would make a better street combo. He basically took the 428 Thunderbird engine and added 427 Medium Riser cylinder heads. This created a very high torque engine which was a much better street engine than either the 390 or the high winding and very limited production 427. He proposed this engine to Ford and the rest is history.

More information...

I've been following this particular thread for three years now... yes, it's 3 years long!

CompetitionPlus: What about a COMPETITIVE Ford in Pro Stock!

Also...

Yellowbullet.com: NHRA Pro Stock Fords?

CompetitionPlus: Burnevik replaces Ness building Mustang

SpeedTalk: Darin Morgan Pro-Stock Ford Head...

• 4 weeks later...