Raptor Test Drive

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on now Dean, look at the prices. Compare a Scab FX4 to the Raptor. Not that great of a cost increase to get the added capability. So if they made a Screw Raptor, for the price, why not just upgrade from the FX4?

Exactly.

there is a REASON Ford chose the 133 wb for the Raptor....anything longer or more lux just dilutes the purity...I for one hope they dont venture into the Supercrew "family oriented" Raptor.....they have ENOUGH F-150 versions and options as it sits...and the fact that ONE stands out as purpose built is enough.....next up someone will want a King Ranch Raptor...ENOUGH!

there is a REASON Ford chose the 133 wb for the Raptor....anything longer or more lux just dilutes the purity...I for one hope they dont venture into the Supercrew "family oriented" Raptor.....they have ENOUGH F-150 versions and options as it sits...and the fact that ONE stands out as purpose built is enough.....next up someone will want a King Ranch Raptor...ENOUGH!

Again I understand your point. But Ford is in the business of making money. If there is a demand for it and will recoup cost in a very short period of time, why not build it? They make a Mustang V6, and a GT and GT500 and a GT500 Super Snake and so on, because there is a demand. If you make it, they will come. And what if say Chevy or Toyota copy Fords style and make a Silvy/Tundra Crew similar to the Raptor. Wouldn't you rather be 1st to the game rather than last?

Again I understand your point. But Ford is in the business of making money. If there is a demand for it and will recoup cost in a very short period of time, why not build it? They make a Mustang V6, and a GT and GT500 and a GT500 Super Snake and so on, because there is a demand. If you make it, they will come. And what if say Chevy or Toyota copy Fords style and make a Silvy/Tundra Crew similar to the Raptor. Wouldn't you rather be 1st to the game rather than last?

I seriously doubt anyone will even attempt to mimic the raptor, and dont forget, its SVT which means limited availablity....make too many versions and the uniqueness gets diluted too much, and FYI...the Super Snake etc are up to you , and Shelby...I dont know any dealers that upped the $35k and had one on the showroom, so for all intents and purpose there is only ONE version of the GT500...and get this...only ONE transmission too.....and its a 6 speed manual! YAY! a supercrew Raptor is akin to an Automatic GT500, after all, as you said ...if you build it they will come right????

I seriously doubt anyone will even attempt to mimic the raptor, and dont forget, its SVT which means limited availablity....make too many versions and the uniqueness gets diluted too much, and FYI...the Super Snake etc are up to you , and Shelby...I dont know any dealers that upped the $35k and had one on the showroom, so for all intents and purpose there is only ONE version of the GT500...and get this...only ONE transmission too.....and its a 6 speed manual! YAY! a supercrew Raptor is akin to an Automatic GT500, after all, as you said ...if you build it they will come right????

I would tend to agree with RJ and Dean on this one. Right now it is a truck with no competition and from how tightly lipped Ford has been lately I would bet that the other's have been caught with their pants down. Even if they started now it would be several years before they could bring anything to market, by which time hopefully Ford can just one up them again. Becides I doubt either Toyota or Chevy have the resources to devote to development, GM has no money (at least for vehicles that go against its owner's "Green" image) and the Tundra probably doesn't even break even on Toyota's investment into it.

I would tend to agree with RJ and Dean on this one. Right now it is a truck with no competition and from how tightly lipped Ford has been lately I would bet that the other's have been caught with their pants down. Even if they started now it would be several years before they could bring anything to market, by which time hopefully Ford can just one up them again. Becides I doubt either Toyota or Chevy have the resources to devote to development, GM has no money (at least for vehicles that go against its owner's "Green" image) and the Tundra probably doesn't even break even on Toyota's investment into it.

not to mention Toyotas NOTORIOUSLY flexy frame....this type of truck has to have an immensley strong backbone.

Man, I would pay to see them run the top of the line Tundra off road with a Raptor... I can just see the bed bouncing and eventually the entire truck folds in half.

not to mention Toyotas NOTORIOUSLY flexy frame....this type of truck has to have an immensley strong backbone.

On another Raptor thread I read a comment saying "Build it in a regular cab short bed and I'm there." Should they accomodate everybody? They'd lose a fortune. As has been mentioned, SVT has limited resources. Tuning one wheelbase and getting it this right should be commended as it is.

Well...if they have the money for the reg cab & super crew...ummm...I would like one with the roof chopped off and replaced with roll bars...2 doors but back seats...and the bed be damned with whatever room is left.

Is that asking too much?

On another Raptor thread I read a comment saying "Build it in a regular cab short bed and I'm there." Should they accomodate everybody? They'd lose a fortune. As has been mentioned, SVT has limited resources. Tuning one wheelbase and getting it this right should be commended as it is.

Well...if they have the money for the reg cab & super crew...ummm...I would like one with the roof chopped off and replaced with roll bars...2 doors but back seats...and the bed be damned with whatever room is left.

Is that asking too much?

and a vase holder ala Beetle.....

Come on, you know it would be awesome to have a convertible Raptor.

I want mine with T-tops. Or maybe a whole roof/windshield that moves forward/up on hydraulic struts like that one yellow car in Cannonball Run II. Speaking of Cannonball Run II, I want my Raptor to have underwater abilities and a built-in Pac-Man console.

I want mine with T-tops. Or maybe a whole roof/windshield that moves forward/up on hydraulic struts like that one yellow car in Cannonball Run II. Speaking of Cannonball Run II, I want my Raptor to have underwater abilities and a built-in Pac-Man console.

oh what the hell, make it a supercrew with an 8 ft bed and aromatherapy.......

So close, but not quite..........

Is that asking too much?

All you need to to from here is open up the bed to the cab area, add a hard top and voila!!!!!

BRONCO

Kill about three threads with one stone too! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

So close, but not quite..........

All you need to to from here is open up the bed to the cab area, add a hard top and voila!!!!!

BRONCO

Kill about three threads with one stone too! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

I think you've mixed your customer base even more than your metaphores.

Convertible truck?

How did that work out for Chevy?

To be fair, the SSR was nothing more than a convertible car with retro truck-like styling cues...and not very pretty ones at that.

Who could forget about this jewel from Dodge:

steigervert.a.jpg

I've changed my mind, I want a Regular Cab Raptor that comes with a babysitter to watch my kids while I'm out wheelin'... :)

You all may disagree. But I think Ford and SVT would be missing a huge niche in the market without the Screw. Other than fleet, what platform is the F150's highest selling cab current, Rcab, Scab or Screw? Most people my age or near, who have the resources to afford this type of truck and put it to use, have children and simply need more cab room. Sure back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, craming the entire family in an Rcab or Scab may have been fine and legal, but not so today. If we can use this truck as a DD and weekend warrior truck, then a Screw would fill a niche in itself. Otherwise you significantly cut sales by not offerring a Screw, leaving out the family guy with only the very rich or single guys purchasing, or maybe the married guy without kids. Hey, us family guys with kids like to play in the mud too!!!

SVT made a Contour, Saleen made an Explorer, so why not a Screw? Cut the Scab production in 1/2 and make 1/2 the production Screws. You can still keep its limited production in that fashion. And I'd bet the Screws fly off the lot quicker than the Scabs.

You all may disagree. But I think Ford and SVT would be missing a huge niche in the market without the Screw. Other than fleet, what platform is the F150's highest selling cab current, Rcab, Scab or Screw? Most people my age or near, who have the resources to afford this type of truck and put it to use, have children and simply need more cab room. Sure back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, craming the entire family in an Rcab or Scab may have been fine and legal, but not so today. If we can use this truck as a DD and weekend warrior truck, then a Screw would fill a niche in itself. Otherwise you significantly cut sales by not offerring a Screw, leaving out the family guy with only the very rich or single guys purchasing, or maybe the married guy without kids. Hey, us family guys with kids like to play in the mud too!!!

SVT made a Contour, Saleen made an Explorer, so why not a Screw? Cut the Scab production in 1/2 and make 1/2 the production Screws. You can still keep its limited production in that fashion. And I'd bet the Screws fly off the lot quicker than the Scabs.

you are forgetting a couple of major issues...the Supercrew is more Family oriented and thus is usually used as a tow vehicle for all the "toys"....the suspension along with weight penalty doesn't lend itself ( along with added passengers and their weight ) to those parameters....let alone the redevelopment of suspension for the longer wheelbase....a S Crew could never be as extreme...so literally whats the point of DAMAGING the image....like an auto in the GT500 I mentioned....I beleive they went sepercab deliberately as the Super Crew is WAYYYYY more mainstream.

Edited by Deanh

Another thing to remember here: SVT isn't in the business of selling tens of thousands of vehicles per year, year after year, as many as possible. They will only have the resources to build a certain alotment of vehicles, and frankly, even with one cab configuration, I doubt they'll have any trouble at all selling all of them they can/will build. If it isn't built to your specifications, too bad really -- because it's likely built to someone else's just fine.

I'm pretty certain the Super Cab is still by far the most common cabin choice.

definitely not here, which is one reason I like the Raptor so much...its DISTINCTIVE in more ways than one, and the ONE biggie IS the Supercab body...stands out big time, plus its capabilities woyuld trmp the longer wheelbase HEAVIER Supercrew whilst having the advantage over a std cab...I think this body style for THIS type of truck is the ULTIMATE compromise.

definitely not here, which is one reason I like the Raptor so much...its DISTINCTIVE in more ways than one, and the ONE biggie IS the Supercab body...stands out big time, plus its capabilities woyuld trmp the longer wheelbase HEAVIER Supercrew whilst having the advantage over a std cab...I think this body style for THIS type of truck is the ULTIMATE compromise.

It's the Super Crews that stand out here. I see SuperCabs all the time.