Note to ad readers: Get the name right

Ouch, my head hurts. Richard, you are taking me back to my college days when we studied the Venutian language.

But consistency in a message sends strong overt and subliminal messages to the audience. In our modern culture this is very important part of brand building. If we do not have to consider such things, why not let dealers in different places use different logos in their signage? Just as long as they use the letters D, F, O, and R.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, if I understand this correctly, the objection to SHO being pronounced as "show" is that it's not spelled as "SHOW"?? Really? Do you say radar as R-A-D-A-R? If not, and you ray-dar, then why? Ray-dar is NOT word! It's an acronym that's easily spoken as a word.

I personally say S-H-O, because that's what I always thought it was "back in the day". But that doesn't mean "show" is wrong. Hell, from perspective, Ford invented the SHO, they can call it whatever they want. I just think to get into a back and forth about whether it's "lame" and "stupid" with another mod seems to be a little over the top...

But then again, I have all sorts of HATE for Wes-con-sin. Stop it. JUST. STOP. IT. There's no "e" in Wisconsin.

Pronouncing RADAR as "Ray-dar" sounds fine though. It is pleasing to the ear. Pronouncing SHO as "Show" just sounds stupid. My original point. And it is inconsistent with the other trim levels of Taurus. As someone else pointed out, Ford doesn't refer to the SE as the "See" or the SEL as the "Sell".

Edited by NickF1011

Pronouncing RADAR as "Ray-dar" sounds fine though. It is pleasing to the ear. Pronouncing SHO as "Show" just sounds stupid. My original point. And it is inconsistent with the other trim levels of Taurus. As someone else pointed out, Ford doesn't refer to the SE as the "See" or the SEL as the "Sell".

How about this bastardization - The new Taurus Show with the eee-cee-oh-bee-oh-oh-ess-tee engine.

Have I insulted everyone with this?

OTOH, it doesn't make it wrong either. Just like Leeenus Torvalds and Leeenix.

English has simply awful orthography, a positively gigantic geographic footprint and an incredibly simple system of declensions/cases/inflections. Trying to standardize pronunciation is, at best, like trying to hold back the tide with a broom.

I love the variety, the flexibility, and the boisterousness of it all--even when it leads to such mind-numbingly banal phrases as, "As a soho telecommuter, I office from home."

Would this be better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A9mie_fran%C3%A7aise

Heck, I've been working on the 'totally worthless radio alphabet' as an illustration of just how bad English spelling is....

A - Aye

B - Bee

C - Cue

D - Dee

E - Eye

F - Filll

G - Gnu

H - Hour

I - Immigrate

J -

K - Knew

L -

M - Mnemonic

N - New

O - Our

P - Phil

Q - Queue (or Quay)

R -

S - Sea

T - Tea

U -

W - Why

X - Xi

Y - You

Z - Zwieback

I only know the alphabet backwards Z-A, it was my teachers fault.

She said l want you to know your alphabet back to front, so l did.

I bet Nick is not as clever as you Richard, he would only get to C for Cortina then delete it.

The RS-71 name was changed when President Johnson released the name as SR-71. Thousands (est 30K) of documents were changed to reflect how the Commander in Chief described the new aircraft.

I suggest that someone call Alan Roger Mulally and William Clay Ford and ask them how to address the SHO and Eco-boost question. :shades:

Not sure how Nick would do on the phone with them if they said , "Show". :ohsnap:

Mazda 6 is quicker at sending you to sleep :boring:

If a Mazda6 would put you to sleep, a Cortina must have you comatose.

When are you going to get that Lincoln Nick?

No idea. Whenever it strikes me that it's time. Or maybe never. I haven't narrowed down what I want. Next on the agenda is a rebuild for the Cobra, so the Mazda6 sticks around for now.

From 1972 to 1981, the Cortina enjoyed an unbroken run as Britain best selling car every year.

Mazda 6 has enjoyed an unbroken run of never making in to the UK top 10 best selling cars ever.

...and the Camry has been the best-selling car in the US for much of the past decade. Are you going to say the Camry is exciting now? Where did Ferrari and Porsche fall in terms of sales? They must be boring if they didn't place in the top ten, no?

...and once again. It's 2009. Not 1981. Welcome to the 21st century, FJ. We've missed you.

Edited by NickF1011

How about this bastardization - The new Taurus Show with the eee-cee-oh-bee-oh-oh-ess-tee engine.

Have I insulted everyone with this?

No, I think that's perfect. That'll look great on the Taurus' trunk lid. :lol:

Cleverness has nothing to do with it. And I'd probably stop at C for CRAZY after listening to you go on and on about the same bullshit day in and day out.

+1!!!

We have?

:hysterical:

Should have named it "Twin Force". Any sane person couldn't mess that pronunciation up.

As I've said before, it should be "TwinForce" for sporty applications, and "EcoBoost" for mileage applications.

G.W. Bush would say, " Forces of Twins".. or something like that. :ohsnap:

I have his voice on my GPS... I laugh at each direction change it gives me. :hysterical:

LOL, that'd be funny to listen to.

Should have named it "Twin Force". Any sane person couldn't mess that pronunciation up.

Nah...someone would probably call it "Tween Forsay". I do like that name better though and wish they would have kept it.

Around my neck of the woods, I always have fun with non-Kansas natives that make fun of us calling the Arkansas River "AreKansas" instead of "Arkansaw". They typically are astute enough to know that once the river leaves Colorado and enters Kansas it's pronunciation changes until it gets into Oklahoma where once again it becomes the Arekansaw River. So when questioned about this oddity in our local vernacular, I tell them that I don't live in Wacheetah, Kansaw and that's how we pronounce things around here.

As far as the Taurus is concerned, I always called mine an S-H-O and will call the new one S-H-O also. It seems to me that is the original and historically correct way to pronounce it. Just my 2 cents. :shades: