Beware the Scorpion! 2011 Ford Super Duty gets all-new 6.7-liter diesel V8

Ford's issues with its long-time heavy duty diesel engine supplier Navistar will soon be coming to an end. The 2011 edition of the Ford Super Duty pickup will get an all-new diesel V8 designed in-house code-named Scorpion. So now, if Ford has any durability issues with its big diesels, it will have no one to blame but itself.

Officially the Scorpion retains the Power Stroke badge, but that and eight cylinders in a V-configuration are all that is carried over. The Scorpion engine picks up a variety of technologies that have been appearing on other recent engines, both gas- and diesel-fueled, as well as adding a few new tricks, particularly the turbocharger. The biggest change for the architecture is the move to an inside-out layout. Since the early days of the V-engine configuration, most examples have had the intake system mounted in the valley between the banks with the exhaust on the outside. Like BMW's new turbocharged gas V8 and GM's current on-the-shelf Duramax 4500, the Scorpion switches this around. Read on after the jump to learn more.

LINK

power-stroke-6.7l-dies-1280.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

would this engine be made available in a non-turbo (naturally aspirated) design? One would think it (the non-turbo version) would be boon to the industrial engine set. Just wondering aloud here as I sip my morning cup of coffee..... :reading:

Considering that Ford is shutting down its industrial powertrain sale organization, I would say no.

Edited by theoldwizard

And this from Pickuptrucks.com

More talk on Scorpion....much more technical with lots of pictures too

I am fascinated with the twin cooling system.

The primary cooling loop cools the engine and operates at about 194 degrees. A secondary 122-degree loop (with its own radiator and water pump) controls the temperatures of the EGR, fuel and transmission coolers and a brand new air-to-water charge air cooler that replaces the previous air-to-air intercooler

The reverse flow layout makes a N/A version of this engine a bit more difficult and doesn't bring a lot of packaging advantages. With the turbo mounted high up like it is, I doubt that we'll ever see this engine in an E-series that doesn't receive a substantial makeover of its engine box. I guess that its technically possible that they could go to a smaller, more compact turbo for such an application, but that would involve a whole lot of emissions tuning to make work right. I would imagine that it would be cheaper over the long run to just drag out the currently frozen 4.4L diesel project and use that one instead.

...With the turbo mounted high up like it is, I doubt that we'll ever see this engine in an E-series ...

Roger !

I would imagine that it would be cheaper over the long run to just drag out the currently frozen 4.4L diesel project and use that one instead.

With rumors that the E Series is a dead man walking, that is not likely to ever happen (although that WAS the original plan).

I can't wait to see to see what powertrains Ford is going to offer in the US version of the Transit.

Roger !

With rumors that the E Series is a dead man walking, that is not likely to ever happen (although that WAS the original plan).

I can't wait to see to see what powertrains Ford is going to offer in the US version of the Transit.

Will this supposed "global" Transit be available as an RV cutaway with any capacity near the current E350 or E450? Or do you think they'll just try to sell an F350, F450 or F550 as an RV cutaway instead? An F550/Scorpion Class C would make a pretty nice RV.

Picture of F550 Class C Motorhome

Edited by NLPRacing

If this won't fit in an E-Series, it sure as shooting won't fit in a Transit

Hence my comment about I can't wait to see what powertrains will be offered.

Nothing official, but I'll bet the delay in the "new" Transit for EU had a lot to do with making certain that US "appropriate" powertrains would fit !

Is this PR release about the Scorpion earlier in the cycle than usual? They still need to sell 6.4 SuperDutys for a while. Job one for the '11 Superduty is February 2010. The 6.2 gas engine is due out before that (in the Raptor) and we haven't gotten any official press release about it have we?

I don't know, but wonder if they are trying to increase performance by keeping the head cooler than the block. A cool head will allow air to flow in easier and combustion to occur with fewer NOx. A hotter block will reduce losses during the power stroke caused by heat loss to the block. You get more powerful and fuel efficient engine.

The primary cooling loop cools the engine and operates at about 194 degrees. A secondary 122-degree loop (with its own radiator and water pump) controls the temperatures of the EGR, fuel and transmission coolers and a brand new air-to-water charge air cooler that replaces the previous air-to-air intercooler

I don't know, but wonder if they are trying to increase performance by keeping the head cooler than the block....

You missed the quote.

The second cooling system is for the inlet air charge, fuel, transmission fluid and EGR. Not the cylinder heads.

Odd, this engine has 4 valves per cylinder and push rods.

This is very common in Commercial and Industrial diesels. What isn't so common is the four rocker arms and four pushrods, usually there are two rocker arms one actuating a pair of inlet valves and the other a pair of exhaust valves with a bridge piece. The advantage I see with this is that the rocker arms are cheaper and it may have advantage in valvetrain reciprocating mass & stiffness. However it does mean using four pushrods per cylinder and with the clearance this requires it reduces the available width for the exhaust port.

Edited by Inselaffe