2011 Superduty

When is the Texas State Fair? Isn't the new Super Duty supposed to debut there? I usually don't really care about the SD too much, but will all of Ford's product momentum, I'm getting excited about every teeny-tiny bit of news.

If you will check this post you will find all the information's:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=35675

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I would like to see an IFS F250. SFA on the F350 and up. Ford could make a plenty heavy duty IFS that would work well to smooth out the ride on the F250 and still be plenty capable. Of course, I haven't driven an '05 or newer Super Duty, so maybe the re-worked suspension is sufficiently better than the old leaf-sprung front end to not need the IFS.

To me, that would be a nice step up from an F150 for those of us that need to pull something outisde the range of an F150, but not quite in the 'almost-a-house' range. Oh yeah...throw the 4.4L diesel in the F250 to go along with it! :)

I'd rather see Ford build an HD package for the F150. They should combine all the top level towing and payload packages with the 6.2L V8 and make it available on XLT, Lariat, and King Ranch trims.

I'd rather see Ford build an HD package for the F150. They should combine all the top level towing and payload packages with the 6.2L V8 and make it available on XLT, Lariat, and King Ranch trims.

So you want the F-150 to encroach even further on Super Duty's territory, when many already complain the F-150 is becoming too/over capable for most of it's buyers?

I've always felt that F250 should "come down" to the F150 frame and F150 allowed to move back down market into the lighter duty realm.

Would your F-250 on F-150 platform share the Super Duty sheetmetal still? Also, would this proposal require the F-150 to get a new frame because F-250 "took" it?

I just think that doing that, while it might technically make sense, would seem like a step backward to the general public (although I do have a feeling that the competition would follow suit - with F-150 being the leader, they'd figure Ford was on to something maybe). I mean think about it - lets say this happened in 2012. Joe the contractor looks at the 2011 F-150 with 10K lbs of towing (or whatever the current one can haul), then looks at the "new and improved" 2012 F-150 that tows less than that - what makes him think that F-150 is better? I know you'd then have an F-250 to look at, but that's a comletely different type of truck, at least as is now.

Even though I know (or at least think) the program is dead for now, I honestly think there will eventually be a point where an F-100 will again be truly necessary to fill the gap (that will more than likely) continue to grow between the Ranger (new version) and F-150. This F-100 would fill exactly where your proposed "lighter duty" F-150 would. We'll see though.

I have always thought that any proposed F100 and Expedition should share mechanicals and sheet metal...doors, grilles, interiors, suspensions.

The proposed F-100 would have been smaller than the Expedition. The Expedition and F-150 are the ones that should share parts.

So you want the F-150 to encroach even further on Super Duty's territory, when many already complain the F-150 is becoming too/over capable for most of it's buyers?

For the most part, yes, it should. The F150 rides better, handles better, and is smaller in nearly every dimension. Combine that with its better interior and it makes for a better personal truck. For those who a heavy trailer once a month and normally drive their truck empty, an F150 HD would make much more sense than an F250.

I just think that doing that, while it might technically make sense, would seem like a step backward to the general public (although I do have a feeling that the competition would follow suit - with F-150 being the leader, they'd figure Ford was on to something maybe). I mean think about it - lets say this happened in 2012. Joe the contractor looks at the 2011 F-150 with 10K lbs of towing (or whatever the current one can haul), then looks at the "new and improved" 2012 F-150 that tows less than that - what makes him think that F-150 is better? I know you'd then have an F-250 to look at, but that's a comletely different type of truck, at least as is now.

Too me, I wouldn't mind the F150 shrink a little like suggested, but personally the price would also have to come down too. Same with the F250. If it came down to an F250, with less capabilities, it too would need to shrink in the price dept. I wouldn't want to pay more for a truck with less capabilities.

For the most part, yes, it should. The F150 rides better, handles better, and is smaller in nearly every dimension. Combine that with its better interior and it makes for a better personal truck. For those who a heavy trailer once a month and normally drive their truck empty, an F150 HD would make much more sense than an F250.

True the F150 handles/rides better, a lot having to do with the SD's SFA, but I think since the '08 redesign of the SD, the interiors are quite comparable. Actually in some aspects I like the SD's interior better than the 150s.

Edited by V8-X

Also, I'd like to add that Ford already has all the optional towing and payload packages available plus provisions to drop the 6.2L in an F150 frame (see Raptor and Harley Davidson). The overall investment to build an F150 HD package as I layed out earlier in this thread would be very minimal, with a likely high rate of return.

Its been done before

The last time they did that I don't think the sales were too hot. The 7 lug wheels were a great oddity

I remember that truck, it was ham-strung by Ford due to there being an F250 Super Duty as well....you basically had 2 F250's to choose from and due to the slim difference in price...most people opted for the Super Duty version.

Yep, that's when there was a light duty F250 that is basically equivalent to the heavy duty F150 today.

Yes...todays' F150 could easily become F250, thus allowing a lighter duty F150 to debut....