2011 Mariner

johnjyi

I was reading the write-up for Mercury Mariner on Wikipedia which stated that the Mariner would be discontinued due to lack of sales.

So, I was pondering whether the Mariner line would be continued into 2011 and beyond. Also, rather than a Mercury version, would it be feasible to turn it into a Lincoln somehow?

Just a thought...not trying to piss off anyone.

Any thoughts -- or even better -- any insights?

Edited by exrub

Mariner is the best selling Merc model

It will surely be continued, in one form or another, unless Fomoco decides to kill Mercury

The article in Wikipedia does not say that it will be discontinued in some year; in the writeup for the 2008 model, the article says that it will be discontinued--but this doesn't make sense because there are paragraphs for the 2009 and 2010 models...

That's true about where the blurb was stated in Wiki. However, I thought I saw some postings elsewhere on BON that hinted at the end of the Mariner. I think it may have been the Escape/Kuga to be built in Louisville thread.

I started this thread to see if there was some insights available.

The main reason for my doing this? I am considering ordering a new one within the next year. I would like to see if the Mariner continues and, if so, what changes are being made.

Edited by exrub

No, the Mariner will not go away. As an aside, I am SICK of hearing that the European Focus is coming to the US for 2011 and the Kuga is coming State-side for 2012. That is not true. For the 2011 model year a new WORLD-WIDE-DEVELOPED Focus will debut, which was designed and engineered with input from Europe, US, and Asia, etc. It is not a European Focus...it is a "One Ford Focus." Similar story for the so-called Kuga. For the 2012 model year, the North American and European Small CUV programs will be merged...and I have to believe the NA arm had a lot of say in this program since the Escape is far more important to Ford than the Kuga. So for 2012 MY the Escape and Kuga will be more or less the same vehicle, sharing most exterior styling, interiors, transmissions, and some engine choices ( I imagine it will get the EcoBoost 2.0I4 to replace the 3.0V6.). Lincoln will get a version ( to be called the MKG ?) with unique exterior and interior styling, just like the Taurus/MKS and Flex/MKT relationship.

As for the Mariner, it may continue as a restyled Escape/Kuga or the name may be attached to the North American version of the Grand C-MAX (if it is a Mercury). This could be cool idea, giving its first unique product since the 1999 Cougar and Villager. If the Grand C-MAX becomes a Ford, the Mariner should be a small CUV and maybe Mercury should get the next-gen S-MAX, to be called Monterey (I think that is a great name).

So to answer your question, no, the Mariner will not be canceled. It will either stay on as a restyled Escape for 2012 or the name will be applied to a different utility.

If they get rid of Mariner they might as well get rid of Mercury. I went to my Lincoln Mercury dealership the other day and the place looks absolutely pathetic. Mercury is hurting, we need new products NOW for them. I feel like Ford is investing in Lincoln and itself and Mercury is being shoved on the back burner. How long can this last?

If they get rid of Mariner they might as well get rid of Mercury. I went to my Lincoln Mercury dealership the other day and the place looks absolutely pathetic. Mercury is hurting, we need new products NOW for them. I feel like Ford is investing in Lincoln and itself and Mercury is being shoved on the back burner. How long can this last?

Of course Mercury is on the back burner! Mulally himself said that. Ford is the volume brand and that had to be fixed first (Fiesta, new Focus, new Explorer, new Taurus, updated Fusion, etc.). Lincoln is next - it will support the Lincoln/Mercury dealers. Whatever is left will go to Mercury IF there is a business reason to keep the brand. We certainly don't need more Ford clones so Mercury will need unique products.

You know? As long as Ford and Lincoln can bridge the gap that is currently filled by Mercury, I really wouldn't see an issue. I've normally gone for the Mercurys over Fords because they had certain upscaled things. Now, a Lincolnized Mariner would be something I would consider. I especially love the cooled seats in my MKZ. :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...

Mercury needs a clear mission along with distinctive vehicles. Say what you will about GM, and I have said some nasty things myself, but when vehicles from different divisions share a platform, they usually share very little in the way of sheet metal and interiors. Mercury vehicles need more than different bumper caps, grills, and tail light lenses to be truly considered upscale from Ford. Mercury also needs unique models. I'd like to see a new Grand Marquis on a long wheel base Taurus platform with a classy, distinctive body and interior. I'd like to see Mercury take the defunct Taurus X and turn it into a new Mountaineer. I want to see a coupe version of the Milan called the Cougar. Finally, I'd like to see a short wheel base Mustang-based Capri that is a two-seater convertible powered by the 3.7L V6.

I personally bought a Mariner for my wife after owning a 2002 and 2005 escape. It just seemed more upscale and better looking to me. I certainly hope the Mariner or Mercury doesn't go away. Some of us out here don't want a vehicle in our driveway that sits in a ton of other driveways as well. Yes, I also have a Mustang GT but it's so much fun to drive I don't care that there's a ton of those out there.

• 3 weeks later...
Now, a Lincolnized Mariner would be something I would consider.

If they did, then the "who would pay $50,000 for an Escape?" comments will flow freely.

IMHO, I sure hope we never see a Lincolnized Mariner. For an example of why, I would just have to point to the Lincolnized Explorer; the Aviator.

Mercury brand name does have a good use. It allows Lincoln dealerships to sell some "entry level" vehicles without tarnishing the Lincoln brand name itself.

Having said (wrote) that, it would be nice if the Mariner got some lux features and options, which the Escape doesn't have; not even the Escape Limited. Or possibly even discontinue the Escape Limited completely, and simply point those folks over to Mercury for a Mariner.

...Mercury brand name does have a good use. It allows Lincoln dealerships to sell some "a bit nicer than entry level" vehicles without tarnishing the Lincoln brand name itself...

fixed ^ ;)

...Having said (wrote) that, it would be nice if the Mariner got some lux features and options, which the Escape doesn't have; not even the Escape Limited. Or possibly even discontinue the Escape Limited completely, and simply point those folks over to Mercury for a Mariner.

+ 1

imho if the Ford brand tries to HOG too many demographics, they'll wind up doing themselves a serious injury nono.gif

The Mariner is very successfull, now if the Lincoln version does come, i dont know maybe there wont be a need for one but if its made people will buy it.

Mercury needs its Cougar, it needs a car thats going to bring the name back, i know alot of you are dying for the c-max as a mercury why i assume only to give it another product, but in essense it will do NOTHING for the brand. No one is going to look at a C-max and say WOW thats a car i want to have, a C max is car for families that had their first child and feel the need to have more room because they think there current 4 door sedan wont be suffice but i digress.

if Ford is somewhat interested to save Mercury, the Mercury"focus" which was announced but yet not one mule has been spotted should show up as a coupe cabriolet like the Focus they sell in Europe, dont make a Ford version of this car and call it a day, Mercury Capri is reborn.

Now I know Ford has already done mules/design/research for a 2 door fusion, lets get this out ASAP as a Mercury only version and be the next Cougar, it will be a true successor to the last gen Cougar, this is only as Ford would most likely not make a Mustang based Cougar to not take sales away from the Mustang.

These two cars will make Mercury stand out, not a minivan or mpv and really not even another 4 door sedan as we will most likely get.

Edited by saintlaz1

• 2 months later...

..., unless Fomoco decides to kill Mercury

It wasn't too long ago that I couldn't turn 'on' my TV, without seeing a Jill Wagner commercial for Mercury.

Now, I haven't seen a Jill Wagner, or any Mercury, commercial for some time. Not a good sign for Mercury.

It wasn't too long ago that I couldn't turn 'on' my TV, without seeing a Jill Wagner commercial for Mercury.

Now, I haven't seen a Jill Wagner, or any Mercury, commercial for some time. Not a good sign for Mercury.

Just saw a commercial with her a couple of times over the weekend.

• 3 months later...

According to Edmunds' InsideLine, June 2, 2010, the Mercury brand will be discontinued. This is very sad and frustrating to me, as I feel that there needs to be a brand midway between Ford and Lincoln--just as there is Buick (and formerly Pontiac and Olds) between Chevrolet and Cadillac. The problem has been that Mercury has not differentiated itself more from Ford. C'est la vie.

According to Edmunds' InsideLine, June 2, 2010, the Mercury brand will be discontinued. This is very sad and frustrating to me, as I feel that there needs to be a brand midway between Ford and Lincoln--just as there is Buick (and formerly Pontiac and Olds) between Chevrolet and Cadillac. The problem has been that Mercury has not differentiated itself more from Ford. C'est la vie.

Excellent point! Buick should also be discontinued.

Name one potential Mercury or Buick product that could not just as easily be a high end Ford/Chevy or low end Lincoln/Cadillac.

Name one other mfr that has a mid level brand squarely between the other two brands. It's just not necessary any more. When Detroit had huge market shares it was more feasible but not now. The market just isn't big enough to support all those brands.

Excellent point! Buick should also be discontinued.

Name one potential Mercury or Buick product that could not just as easily be a high end Ford/Chevy or low end Lincoln/Cadillac.

Name one other mfr that has a mid level brand squarely between the other two brands. It's just not necessary any more. When Detroit had huge market shares it was more feasible but not now. The market just isn't big enough to support all those brands.

Sure: Intel Core CPU's--i3, i5, i7.

All I can say is, I am majorly bummed of this news.

Now, the question is how to approach my next purchase. I was all set to purchase a 2011 Mariner. However, with this news, I would need to consider a 2010 Mariner. I would like to see when the small SUV will start coming out as a Lincoln, but it almost sounds like it will be a redesigned version. If so, that's not good for me since I really don't care for the jellybean look.

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes on any updates on this.

BMW 3, 5, and 7 series. Audi A4, A6, A8. This is called good-better-best marketing, and Ford/Mercury/Lincoln blew it.

Thank you for making my point perfectly.

Those are 3 models within each brand, not 3 brands.

The analogy for the BMW 3, 5 and 7 is the MKZ, MKS and a new flagship, all under the Lincoln name.

There is no other vehicle mfr outside of GM that maintains a brand in between their lower cost volume brand and their high end luxury brand.

Does Honda need a brand between Honda and Acura? What about Toyota/Lexus (Scion is not in between - it's a subset of Toyota)? Nissan/Infinit? VW/Audi?

Thank you for making my point perfectly.

Those are 3 models within each brand, not 3 brands.

The analogy for the BMW 3, 5 and 7 is the MKZ, MKS and a new flagship, all under the Lincoln name.

There is no other vehicle mfr outside of GM that maintains a brand in between their lower cost volume brand and their high end luxury brand.

Does Honda need a brand between Honda and Acura? What about Toyota/Lexus (Scion is not in between - it's a subset of Toyota)? Nissan/Infinit? VW/Audi?

Doesnt that make Toyota the middle brand.