Trenton New Jersey Police

97svtgoin05gt

Source?

Everything I've seen about the Escape taxis in NYC has been very positive.

I think the issue isn't they aren't holding up, its with the price of them, plus with the economic downturn, taxi companies aren't going to want to dump out big money to totally replace their CV's. You have to figure that a Taxi CV is under 20K and a Hybrid is most likely at least 6-10K more then that.

I think the issue isn't they aren't holding up, its with the price of them, plus with the economic downturn, taxi companies aren't going to want to dump out big money to totally replace their CV's. You have to figure that a Taxi CV is under 20K and a Hybrid is most likely at least 6-10K more then that.

I can certainly see price being a more valid argument against the hybrids.

the Hybrids didn't hold up very well

I don't know where you got that info but it isn't close to being accurate. The Escape Hybrids were a huge success saving the cab owners a ton of money in fuel costs. 14MPH vs. high 20's to low 30's is huge with the number of miles they put on a day.

Two things stemmed the introduction;

The city ordinance passed mandating a total changeover in a few years to the EH

Lack of availability of the EH.

NY cabs have been switching from the CV for years to various minivans.

As far as Trenton PD, like every other large city in the state, they cut back on everything. Maintenance is the first to go.

Edited by rscalzo

I own a differential/drivetrain company. I get nothing but complaints on them. I can assure you, many of the companies who bought them, now regret it. This includes ambulance companies. And as for the NYC taxi debate..the hybrid escapes work out very well for the NYC taxis. And as per law they can only keep the taxis on the road for 2 yrs, so after that it doesn't matter to them if they hold up or not.

The amount of NYC bound LWB taxi making their way through STAP.

So a production run of LWB CV proves that the Hybrids are a failure? That being said, ever consider the fact that the CV prob outnumbers the Escape Hybrid by a huge margin? And that Escape Hybrid Production is limited due to a lack of powerpacks?

The amount of NYC bound LWB taxi making their way through STAP.

I believe there was a link posted on BON that confirmed it, but I can't seem to locate it right now.

I don't recall reading a link either about Escape Hybrid problems. Only links I've read have been that they HAVE held up really well.

I guess I wouldn't classify a big production run of taxi's as proof. Even if they are headed to NY, that's not proof the Escape is not working out.

Now a big line of Escapes heading BACK to the plant because of problems would be proof...

So a production run of LWB CV proves that the Hybrids are a failure? That being said, ever consider the fact that the CV prob outnumbers the Escape Hybrid by a huge margin? And that Escape Hybrid Production is limited due to a lack of powerpacks?

OK, let me explain. The city of New York basically implemented a law that prevented cab companies from buying new CV's. For about 5 months, ZERO NYC LWB's were built. Then suddenly, the orders started coming in. It was discovered that the city had (quietly) reversed their rulings because the vehicles that had been pushed as replacements were A. not holding up and B. didn't offer enough space in the back seat for customer comfort and safety.

I'm not saying the Escape Hybrid is a bad car, but for NYC (or any other city) taxi use, it ain't as good as a CV.

I guess once the CV is dead, something will have to replace it. But I never thought "lower the bar" was a good way of determining the best vehicle.

I don't recall reading a link either about Escape Hybrid problems. Only links I've read have been that they HAVE held up really well.

It was posted on this site, but with a lack of a search function, and the way the Panther forum has been gutted, I can't find it right now.

Having said that, I have yet to see an indication that the Escapes are holding up well. And considering I was in NYC, as well as Chicago, this summer, and rode in a number of cabs (not Toyota's. I will never get into a Toyota), I can tell you the drivers who could speak English, said the CV was the best.

So I guess we can call Bullshit on each other.

I guess I wouldn't classify a big production run of taxi's as proof.

So being the number 1 choice for cab companies isn't proof?

Even if they are headed to NY,

The big sticker on the LR window that lists NYC as the destination proves that is where they were headed

Now a big line of Escapes heading BACK to the plant because of problems would be proof...

I never knew Ford recalled vehicles back to the assembly plant to do repair work.

His actually mentions the actual durability. Yours only says "eh, it might be a concern...possibly....maybe....eventually??"

True, but his is over two years old. Two years ago I could find you plenty of articles that said Toyota's were safe cars. A lot can change in that amount of time. From what I remember, there weren't a lot of Hybrids on the road back then, and the ones that were hadn't been there long enough to get a true indication of how they would hold up

From what I've seen and heard, the Escapes aren't holding up as well as the Vics. But that is like saying Steve Yzerman wasn't as good of a hockey player as Mario Lemieux. Yzerman was damn good, but Mario was the best.

Like I said, it's not a knock on the vehicle. I know plenty of people that have them, and they love it. Last time I looked, Kansas City was running 120 hours per week production. Clearly it is in high demand. And rightfully so.

When the CV dies, I hope cab companies look towards the Escape or Flex as the replacement

http://www.leftlanenews.com/safety-longevi...taxi-plans.html

Yours is from 2007, mine is from 2008. :ohsnap:

That's not a link to "Escape not holding up". All they are stating is the crash worthiness has not been tested. The makers haven't wanted to shell out money for extra crash testing due to the partition. I don't honestly see how a CV with partition would be any more or less safe than any other vehicle with partitions.

"Many automakers – such as Honda, Toyota and Ford – have refused to certify the crash-worthiness of their vehicles for taxi use, due to the fact that New York law requires the use of partitions in taxi cabs."