Toyota unveils redesigned 2011 Sienna

DC Car Examiner

Fusion and Edge. They basically use the same starting point and go in completely different directions from there.

From what I understand, the Edge is based off a Mazda minivan made in Japan and I'm not sure how that ties in with the Mazda 6 platform. From the way I took it they are almost totally different platforms?

Did some digging:

Mazda calls the the 6 platform the GG platform. The pre-2006 MPV was based on a GF platform, which itself was based on the 626 sold in the states, the post 2006 Mazda MPV/8 is called the LY platform, which is based off the GY plaform, which is the station wagon 6, who is based on the GG plaform....so if your not confused, you are now. Sounds like to me that the Edge/MKZ/M9 are 2 generations removed from the original 6 platform and the Fusion is about 2 generations removed from it now.

Edited by silvrsvt

That is a neat feature that is also found in the Sequoias as well. All rows recline and the 2nd row slides forward for easy access to the 3rd row. The middle seat in the second row also slides forward closer to the front passengers - another neat feature for those with little kids. My brother's S-Max apparently has this feature as well.

I'm definitely in the market for a big family vehicle, and my heart says Navi, but from a price point the Suburban seems to be the best deal, yet the 'Yoda (most expensive) is closest to a minivan feature-wise without being one.

Any info. on a redesigned Expi/Nav? Sorry for rambling off topic...

Sorry, I meant reclining seats with foot rest in the second row - I don't think that's what you were referring to in the Sequoia, were you?

If you want a Navi, but are limited in price, why wouldn't you look at the very similar Expy before going to Suburban?

And I've not read anything on next-gen Expy.....

I also wondered about the safety of those reclining seats. Same goes for the Caravan, where the 2nd row seats swivel to turn around to a table that can be propped up from the floor. Do those swivel chairs lock upon impact, similar to say a seat belt locking?

Well, with the Grand Caravan/T&C, I believe the seat locks in place once you have it turned around until you pull something to release it - I may be wrong though, it's been a while since I played with one at an autoshow. At least with those seats, you'd still be in a normal seating position, while with this recliner seat (and other high end vehicle that have similar seats), you'd obviously be almost laying down (or at least certainly not in a normal seating position).

From what I understand, the Edge is based off a Mazda minivan made in Japan and I'm not sure how that ties in with the Mazda 6 platform. From the way I took it they are almost totally different platforms?

Did some digging:

Mazda calls the the 6 platform the GG platform. The pre-2006 MPV was based on a GF platform, which itself was based on the 626 sold in the states, the post 2006 Mazda MPV/8 is called the LY platform, which is based off the GY plaform, which is the station wagon 6, who is based on the GG plaform....so if your not confused, you are now. Sounds like to me that the Edge/MKZ/M9 are 2 generations removed from the original 6 platform and the Fusion is about 2 generations removed from it now.

In other words? They are as similar to one another as the Camry and Sienna are, they just happened to have been engineered at different times. We all know how far the current Camry's roots go back.

well considering Ford doesn't even have a minivan and basically left it's handicapped lowered-floor Windstar/Freestar customers in the dark, this is great. My parents don't have the luxury of picking whatever car they want...they need a lowered floor minivan for my sister. Ford doesn't have one and after having 3, we are left with no choice but to look otherwise. It's a shame they left the minivan market. I don't know what will be worse....driving this or a Dodge? It's like picking the lesser of two evils. All i know is i'll take the SE version in red, my parents will probably agree.

I don't know about your sister's physical conditions, obviously, but would a Flex not work?

It's unlikely the Flex easily can undergo a conversion like this 2nd gen Sienna:

mobility_van_sales_140129_1.jpg

Thanks for your input! You don't understand how badly I want one of these conversion dealerships to turn the Flex into something that my sister could access ...An Ecoboost Flex Limited, candy red, white roof, black interior? ...YES PLEASE. My parents have ALWAYS had Fords and I really wish we wouldn't have to go elsewhere. My parents COULD get a E-series van but with the gas mileage of the V8 and all the traveling we do (about 20,000 + miles/year) it would be financial suicide.

But that picture of the current Sienna is exactly what we need...the extra 10 inch drop in the floor of the second row allows her to just wheel right in with plenty of headroom. I don't think that the Flex could be lowered much more or at least not low enough to allow enough clearance past the top of the door frame. Good news is, no matter what we'll still have 2 other Fords (well 1 Mercury) in the driveway regardless!

Sorry, I meant reclining seats with foot rest in the second row - I don't think that's what you were referring to in the Sequoia, were you?

If you want a Navi, but are limited in price, why wouldn't you look at the very similar Expy before going to Suburban?

And I've not read anything on next-gen Expy.....

Well, with the Grand Caravan/T&C, I believe the seat locks in place once you have it turned around until you pull something to release it - I may be wrong though, it's been a while since I played with one at an autoshow. At least with those seats, you'd still be in a normal seating position, while with this recliner seat (and other high end vehicle that have similar seats), you'd obviously be almost laying down (or at least certainly not in a normal seating position).

I'm not a big fan of the Expi's exterior. I know it is essentially the same thing, but somehow the Navi just looks better to me..

If I were in the market for a mini van....and I kinda am....when I need a vehicle again....I would consider this Sienna.

I don't really care what it looks like (within reason), as long as it's functional and aero. I also applaud Toyota for offering a model with reduced power. A mini van has to be a box on wheels with an aero nose....so it's always going to look like that. Change that design too much, and it's not a van.

Since I live in the flat lands of Florida, and would never haul a heavy load of stuff or a load of people, I believe a 4 cylinder would get the job done just fine. I would mostly be hauling bicycles and camping stuff, or Home depot stuff. Never a heavy load, so I think it's good a smaller engine is offered. If I lived in mountainous area, or at altitude, it probably would not be enough. But I bet I could squeeze 30 MPG out of it at continuous highway driving keeping speed down. And on long 4000-6000 mile trips (out West and back)....gasoline savings add up.

I've also considered a F150 with a cap over back (with new 3.7)....which is really what I want. But wife says she won't ride in that retiree mobile.

I've looked over the Flex real carefully.....and it's not configured inside like I want. The roof is too low. To me....the Flex is just a good looking fancy over weight expensive station wagon. I want something a lot plainer....maybe like a Transit Connect even. For what I want it for....no need to be fancy. I may not even garage it (my 3 car garage is already full of vehicles). So a 4 cyclinder plain Sienna may sell to a lot of folks. I think there is a market for a plainer simpler vehicle like this. I'm sure Ford is watching.

Edited by Ralph Greene