2011 Mazda2

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda2.html

Overall not to bad looking but the grey bumper coming out of opening on the front of the car is pretty hideous looking

Thankfully the Fiesta is 100X better looking and looks to have better options on it

LAMO at some of the dumb ass comments at the bottom of the page

I agree that the Fiesta is a ton better looking.

I'm wondering how this will compare in price to the Fiesta. Is it going to be produced in Japan? That certainly can't help its price. However, the 1.5 w/4sp auto sounds cheaper than Ford's 1.6/6 sp auto combo. From just a quick glance, it seems Mazda is following the traditional "cheap small car" formula for the 2.

Is it safe to assume that Mazda had to make the same changes to this car for safety and emissions that Ford did? Would it be 40% US specific hardware?

Even with Ford's reduced equity and cooperation with Mazda, I assume they worked on the U.S. regulatory issues jointly.

I also assume that Mazda's specific U.S. content would be less than Ford because the U.S. car is made alongside the other 2's in Ujina. For Ford, a lot of parts have to be newly tooled due to the new assembly plant. Ideally you still want to remain common, but there is not so big a deal if you have some unique parts.

Some of the uniqueness on the Fiesta likely will get reduced next generation as the initial effort was tacked on to a car that was never intended for the U.S. market. For instance, seats which are unique to the U.S. for this version of Fiesta but will come together as common on the next version.