6.2 liter V8

gbb

Will the 6.2L V8 be available in the std F150 line? I like the power and torque this engine makes but would rather have it in a Lariat 2WD than a Raptor. If it will be made avail in the regular line, is their a target date? My local dealer/s either dont know or wont say. Natch, they want to sell whats on the lot.

Will the 6.2L V8 be available in the std F150 line? I like the power and torque this engine makes but would rather have it in a Lariat 2WD than a Raptor. If it will be made avail in the regular line, is their a target date? My local dealer/s either dont know or wont say. Natch, they want to sell whats on the lot.

This is the engine I am interested in. I love the Raptor but at 60 years old I doubt I will be driving to Baha other than to pull my trailer and go camping. From what I hear it will be limited production. Looking to hear more on this engine myself as my F-150 4.6 is going on eleven years old with 150,000 towing miles on it.

Short answer: Don't know yet. Ford ain't talking. 3.5L EB V6 with @ 400/400 is confirmed for fall. New 5.0L V8 is also coming in fall but not confirmed.... yet. Either option will easily outperform current 5.4L. (Which BTW only @ 300 hp 04-08, 09+ 310, 320 on e85)

Hummmmmm, the current 5.4 just doesnt cut it. Tried a F150 with the 5.4. Even with the steeper gearing (I had 4.30's installed), it is pretty week.

I just cant see towing with a turbocharged or supercharged gasoline motor. The added heat with boost will be an engine killer. I have seen how short the engine life of a F150 Roush Supercharged 5.4 is and it isnt pretty when towing.

I loved my 99 7.3 SD, but the newer diesels (all brands) have a lot of issues with the emissions crap.

I just hope the 6.2 will be avaliable in the F150 by the spring. The 6.2 GMC is looking pretty tempting.

Edited by gbb

Hummmmmm, the current 5.4 just doesnt cut it. Tried a F150 with the 5.4. Even with the steeper gearing (I had 4.30's installed), it is pretty week.

I just cant see towing with a turbocharged or supercharged gasoline motor. The added heat with boost will be an engine killer. I have seen how short the engine life of a F150 Roush Supercharged 5.4 is and it isnt pretty when towing.

I loved my 99 7.3 SD, but the newer diesels (all brands) have a lot of issues with the emissions crap.

I just hope the 6.2 will be avaliable in the F150 by the spring. The 6.2 GMC is looking pretty tempting.

I agree with you for the most part. Just remember the GM 6.2L numbers are based on premium fuel. On reg its down to @ 384 hp.

Raw numbers are misleading.

Forget HP its torque that moves the truck.

HP is a function of torque at a given RPM.

The 5.4 has 365lbs of torque on a decent curve but it doesn't breath enough at the higher RPM's hence only 310HP.

The EB 3.5 has a insane mesa-like torque curve with over 100lbs more torque at 1600rpm than the 3-valve 5.4. It has more than 80lbs of additional torque at 5000RPM, basically at the ends of the power curve the EB 3.5 is 30% more powerful than the 5.4.

As for reliability the EB 3.5 is not even comparable to the Roush Supercharged 5.4. The EB 3.5 was designed to run under boost 24/7 with a 150,000 mile + duty cycle, the supercharged Roush 5.4 was not.

The EB 3.5 uses direct injection to cool the combustion chamber in addition to using a conventional intercooler. The public is going to have to examine the EB series like it has all the benefits of a diesel with the HP of a turbo gas engine.

I understand the American public is skeptical about running a 3.5 liter twin turbo in place of a large V8, but consider this.....

IF you are willing to PAY enough Ford will sell you a 6.2 liter in an F150.

Thanks to our GREEN government we have new CAFE levels to reach for.

Selling the 6.2 liter in a 1/2 ton hurts Fords CAFE rating, which in turn forces Ford to raise the price to purchase carbon offsets. So you can buy it, but it will cost you. If you want the 6.2 buy a 3/4 ton.

It drives me crazy that the common posters on this forum don't do research before posting:

The future 2011 engine line up is as follows:

3.7 liter V6 290HP Base engine in the XL

5.0 liter V8 just under 400 HP Base engine in everything else

EB 3.5 liter just over 400HP Premium Engine for an extra $1500

6.2 liter in special editions and by custom option $$$$ unknown

Edited by Mackintire

Raw numbers are misleading.

When are they going to make the 5.0 available?

Will the 6.2L V8 be available in the std F150 line?

My guess is this is highly unlikely.

Availability of the 6.2L in the F150 will be "limited" in order to meet CAFE. Having said that, the 6.2L is likely to only be available in "premium' models like the Raptor and possibly Harley Davidson and King Ranch.

My guess is this is highly unlikely.

Availability of the 6.2L in the F150 will be "limited" in order to meet CAFE. Having said that, the 6.2L is likely to only be available in "premium' models like the Raptor and possibly Harley Davidson and King Ranch.

I would think it will be available in the FX4 on up...at a premium. Want the 6.2L in the FX4? Gotta buy the FX4 Lux Pack to get it. Lariat? Gotta buy the Lariat Premium Pack. Just my guess...

Honestly though, as much as the 6.2L would kick-ass, I would probably opt for the EB 3.5L over all the others....depending on cost and a test drive of them all. I tow my ~6000 lb travel trailer probably 10% of the time, and the EB would be excellent for that, not to mention the better fuel economy when I'm driving empty.

I thought w/Raptor 6.2L was $3,000 retail touch. I think the cost of the 6.2L will keep avg guy away. Especially when the other available engines are NOT dogs. While I think CAFE is a consideration for Ford, its not like the 6.2L is going to be worse than current 5.4L. Perhaps 1 mpg highway. hard to say. Ford has said its better than the outgoing 5.4 in the SD. (SD also goes from 5 to 6 speed) And in fairness the CAFE stds continue to rise steeply. Another reason I think Ford will start to offer 6.2L in ltd basis, is they don't know what take rate will be on SD. Diesels continue to become more and more unattractive as the mpg decreases. If take rate on SD 6.2 is higher than previous, what is plant capacity? Could be factor.

My specuIation they offer 6.2L on Platinum, King Ranch, Lariat or Lariat Limited and perhaps with max tow pkg on more lines. The boys that pull will want the 6.2L and Ford should let them have it, as GM does on its max tow pkg.

My specuIation they offer 6.2L on Platinum, King Ranch, Lariat or Lariat Limited and perhaps with max tow pkg on more lines. The boys that pull will want the 6.2L and Ford should let them have it, as GM does on its max tow pkg.

You should be head of the F150 Marketing Dept! Sell what the buyers want, charge them for it. I would much rather have a F150 than a SD with the same motor (6.2L). At $3K over std or $1500 over the EB, its a no brainer for me, I would roll with the CU IN any day of the week. Where do I sign?

Edited by gbb

GM only offers their 6.2 on the high end crew cab models. Ford will probably be similar.

Don't expect it in a regular cab work truck.

Well yes & no.

I can get a 2010 Sierra Crew max tow with a 6.2L with either the SLT or SLE trim. Yes with cloth seats. Not what I call high end. Thats like if Ford offered it on a XLT.

Copied from Left Lane News.....................

What else is the Lariat Limited package likely to come with? Though the pictures show a single awkward looking exhaust tip, the side view shows it’s really two pipes merged into one. Based on that and the loud exhaust note, we expect the Lariat Limited will feature Ford’s all-new 6.2-liter premium V-8 engine, as Ford rolls that engine out to high-end F-150 models. The 6.2-liter is rated at 411-hp and 434 lbs.-ft. of torque in the 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.

Exactly what I want. I hope they know what they are talking about.

Copied from Left Lane News.....................

What else is the Lariat Limited package likely to come with? Though the pictures show a single awkward looking exhaust tip, the side view shows it’s really two pipes merged into one. Based on that and the loud exhaust note, we expect the Lariat Limited will feature Ford’s all-new 6.2-liter premium V-8 engine, as Ford rolls that engine out to high-end F-150 models. The 6.2-liter is rated at 411-hp and 434 lbs.-ft. of torque in the 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.

Exactly what I want. I hope they know what they are talking about.

The EB 3.5 requires a very free flowing exhaust system. If very well could be the EB 3.5 or the 6.2 liter in there and we would be non the wiser.

The EB 3.5 requires a very free flowing exhaust system. If very well could be the EB 3.5 or the 6.2 liter in there and we would be non the wiser.

- We know 6.2L has dual exhaust.

- I read @ pickuptruck.com that they figured it was 6.2L based on exhaust note.

What kind of power/torque numbers are we looking at for the 5.0L in the F150? If Ford can manage to get somewhere in the ballpark 375hp at 5500rpm and 390lb-ft at 3500rpm while improving FE over the 5.4L, then it will be a very tempting engine option.

What kind of power/torque numbers are we looking at for the 5.0L in the F150? If Ford can manage to get somewhere in the ballpark 375hp at 5500rpm and 390lb-ft at 3500rpm while improving FE over the 5.4L, then it will be a very tempting engine option.

I agree with you. The rumors that have floated around here are 365 HP and 400 lb-ft. That would be excellent, especially if it improves FE over the 5.4.

I agree with you. The rumors that have floated around here are 365 HP and 400 lb-ft. That would be excellent, especially if it improves FE over the 5.4.

I wonder if the 5.0L will become the base engine in the Raptor or if the Raptor will become 6.2L only when the 5.4L goes away.