GT or GT500?

blksn8k2

Now that the Mustang GT is getting a serious power plant for 2011 I am having trouble justifying the extra cost of the GT500. While the GT500 will probably still have about a 140 horse advantage is that enough to justify the extra cost? Let's be honest here, how often will most Mustang owners ever be able to use all 412 hp much less 540 or 550? The 5.0L Coyote is arguably a more advanced engine than the 5.4L even if the GT500 gets an aluminum block for 2011. Both cars will now have 6-speed transmissions. A GT equipped with the Track Pack will probably handle nearly as well as the GT500 and maybe even beat it on a road course. From everything I have read it sounds like the Track Pack is going to include a lot of the GT500 suspension bits anyway. The only thing I can see in the GT500's favor is the exclusivity. You will not likely see many other GT500s when you go for a ride whereas there will probably be a 2011 GT on every corner. The best reason I could see to go for the GT500 would be if a fully loaded GT coupe exceeds $40k.

Depends on how you would react and racing a GT500 at the stop light...and then through the twistys. After getting beaten at both attempts, each person would have to answer to their own inner child.

Lets now pose the same question...just 2 steps earlier.

Can you justify the cost of the 5.0 GT when the base model V6 makes about 100hp less. It too will have the suspension fun parts.

Edited by atomaro

Depends on how you would react and racing a GT500 at the stop light...and then through the twistys. After getting beaten at both attempts, each person would have to answer to their own inner child.

Lets now pose the same question...just 2 steps earlier.

Can you justify the cost of the 5.0 GT when the base model V6 makes about 100hp less. It too will have the suspension fun parts.

Dammit atomaro, why did you have to make the decision even more difficult? :banghead:

For me, it would be the GT500 all the way. I would never use all 412 HP like you say (hell, wouldn't use the 305 of the V6), but if I could afford it, I would have the GT500. Mostly because I would keep it forever, and it would be my baby, so I would want the best. Plus you don't get the fog lights in the grill, you get them down low where they belong! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on your priorities... performance, budget, economy, etc. Sure if money's no object the GT350 would be a fun car to have. For overall value, the GT is a lot of car for the money as is the V6 which will perform almost as well as the 2010 GT's but at a lower price and the best fuel economy for a daily driver. HOw much the car will be driven is another key factor related to priorities.

• 3 weeks later...

Besides exclusivity, the GT500 offers 1 other aspect in spades. And that aspect is mod potential (horsepower). It easily can be modified with bolt-ons to lay down 800HP at the flywheel and be expected to live a long life (albeit shorter than if you left it factory stock)

You'll not be doing that with the Coyote GT engine unless you pop the motor open and beef up the internals

The GT500 is an extreme car meaning it has an extreme price (for its vehicle class) with extreme performance (actual and potential) and extreme production numbers (low).

If you have the know-how or a shop that you trully trust to beef the internals in the Coyote then I would go with the GT as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

On the other hand . . . . . there's something about having that cobra on the fender that just commands respect (from those in the know; and who cares about the other people)

Either way, Its nice to have choices :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the specs are out for the GT500 it sounds like Ford has stepped up that program yet again. Although the final EPA ratings have not been announced for the GT500 Ford has implied that it will no longer be subjected to the gas gussler tax. That means that even though the base price of the 2011 has increased over that of the 2010, the out the door price will be very close. Unless, of course, you opt for the SVT Performance Package which was not available in 2010.

The other model that has my attention is the GT/CS. It has just enough visual differentiation from a base GT but is not overly done. The only drawback for me, at least according to the 2011 Order Guide, is that the GT/CS is not available with Brembo brake package 402A. I have read comments that the order guide is not correct but I imagine that came from some salesman who really doesn't have a clue (or doesn't give a crap) and was just trying to make a sale.

Now that the specs are out for the GT500 it sounds like Ford has stepped up that program yet again. Although the final EPA ratings have not been announced for the GT500 Ford has implied that it will no longer be subjected to the gas gussler tax. That means that even though the base price of the 2011 has increased over that of the 2010, the out the door price will be very close. Unless, of course, you opt for the SVT Performance Package which was not available in 2010.

The other model that has my attention is the GT/CS. It has just enough visual differentiation from a base GT but is not overly done. The only drawback for me, at least according to the 2011 Order Guide, is that the GT/CS is not available with Brembo brake package 402A. I have read comments that the order guide is not correct but I imagine that came from some salesman who really doesn't have a clue (or doesn't give a crap) and was just trying to make a sale.

I've ordered the 2011 GT/CS and you can't get the brake package. Don't know why, but I do know it sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Dammit atomaro, why did you have to make the decision even more difficult? :banghead:

For me, it would be the GT500 all the way. I would never use all 412 HP like you say (hell, wouldn't use the 305 of the V6), but if I could afford it, I would have the GT500. Mostly because I would keep it forever, and it would be my baby, so I would want the best. Plus you don't get the fog lights in the grill, you get them down low where they belong! :)

Plus you don't get the fog lights in the grill, you get them down low where they belong!

That's exactly why I ordered the GT/CS...

• 4 weeks later...

Plus you don't get the fog lights in the grill, you get them down low where they belong!

That's exactly why I ordered the GT/CS...

And of course they change the options you can order them with -- Mine was already locked in when they made the changes but you can get the CS front bumper and foglights on a GT as an option-- AND get your Brake Package now.. found that playin around on the "build and price" section of the website .. I think the CS grill and bumper were $150 optionsin the accessory section.. It Didnt include the foglights down low for that price though -- said you could install the foglights OR get a brake cooling kit for the foglight holes..