Ford V8 boss says no twin-turbo 5.0L for Shelby GT500

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when ford quits listening to the rice burner application of the stang by the rice burner wannabes numb nuts

Now we're resorting to name calling? That's so '80s, or is that 3rd grade?

Whatever, did it ever occur to you that there just might be enthusiasts that appreciate the efficiency gains from a turbo? I think technology has progressed just a tad since 1986.

Just because the "fans" are used to superchargers doesn't make them better. Good thing Ford didn't listen to the "fans" when they were contemplating the switch to fuel injection.

While there are turbo kits available for V8 Mustangs, the ones I have seen closely do not deal with the heat the way a production car has to....with regard to warranty purposes, and all weather use (you don't know if car will be used in 120 degree desert). Sure, you can slap a turbo on about anything, and the drag racers can put on a big hood to let it cool, but to do it right, on a production car, the whole engine bay has to be engineered around the idea of using a turbo system, either single or dual. Adding a supercharger, whether engineered from the factory, or installed in a performance shop, is a simpler installation creating fewer secondary issue problems.

I think a good turbo system takes a lot of engineering, like the 3.5 EB, especially for long life use.

I've put a supercharger on a Mustang before, also adding air to air cooler.....plumbing for that was complicated enough.....I'd hate to think about re engineering it for exhaust mounted turbo's, finding manifolds that would work, getting rid of the heat, pumbing for coolers on an aftermarket basis, etc. Then getting stock hood to close.

Edited by Ralph Greene

mental thanks to water bong induced geni smoke..what galls me is all this turbo talk for the mustang..i could care less what ford does with any of there blue hair brands..just leave the mustang alone and do not try to turn it into a rice burner by adding rice burner crap like turbos just to appease many who were in diapers and sucking on moms jugs back in the late 70's/early 80's..we have been there before and all that accomplished was driving people away like me..nope..ford does that to the mustang to hell with em

So, just curious, but how would you have a twin bank engine with dual exhaust and a single turbo charger?

I assume your thinking about this because of the modifications needed on the exhaust manifold to feed the turbo? A mod on manifold but not on the other (in the case of a single TC)?

I believe that in single turbo applications, they use an H-pipe mod to plumb the turbo. The disadvantage to this method being turbo spool (I believe) over a conventional manifold mod that shortens the length. But since its not on the manifold itself, there is no issue with a asymmetrical modification on the exhaust manifolds.

While there are turbo kits available for V8 Mustangs, the ones I have seen closely do not deal with the heat the way a production car has to....with regard to warranty purposes, and all weather use (you don't know if car will be used in 120 degree desert). Sure, you can slap a turbo on about anything, and the drag racers can put on a big hood to let it cool, but to do it right, on a production car, the whole engine bay has to be engineered around the idea of using a turbo system, either single or dual. Adding a supercharger, whether engineered from the factory, or installed in a performance shop, is a simpler installation creating fewer secondary issue problems.

Bingo.

Besides, this looks better especially if Ford would switch to a silver SC housing.

gt500_2010_010.jpg

500x_Super-Duty-2011-Ford-Scorpion_10.jpg

So they engineer high performance 4-valve cylinder heads then destroy all flow by installing exhaust manifolds that look like they came off of a 1932 Flathead just to cram the turbo in the valley.

Not to mention the intense heat that would be trapped under the middle of the hood.

Edited by F250

OK, we've got the technology, why don't we take Audi's approach and do GDI with a supercharger for the coyote? Their 3.whatever liter v6 with GDI and supercharger is efficient, powerful, and a very compact package. I can't see where taking that approach with the Coyote is a bad idea. And, when making the heads, they HAVE to have at least planned out how to do GDI on it. Lets face it, an application with that kind of power level is going to be boutique no matter how you cut it, so the cost will certainly be passed on to the consumer.

So they engineer high performance 4-valve cylinder heads then destroy all flow by installing exhaust manifolds that look like they came off of a 1932 Flathead just to cram the turbo in the valley.

Not to mention the intense heat that would be trapped under the middle of the hood.

Seems to work OK for your PRECIOUS BMW and their 4.4L gas motor.

Can we say "heat shields"!

555hp in the X6 M.

Edited by MY93SHO

Yes, I know. I helped a friend replace the turbo on his GN years ago.

Did you tighten the ratchet strap?

So, just curious, but how would you have a twin bank engine with dual exhaust and a single turbo charger?

Lol!

Oh, and snooter: Your ignorance is just amazing! It's growing exponentially every day. It's like the universe constantly expanding. Infinite, limitless, and awe inspiring. I feel as though we're just starting to understand it's reaches. We need another NASA to start charting it. Maybe there's a "Federation of Snooter's Ignorance" waiting for us to further understand it before they help us explore further...

Did you tighten the ratchet strap?

Lol!

Oh, and snooter: Your ignorance is just amazing! It's growing exponentially every day. It's like the universe constantly expanding. Infinite, limitless, and awe inspiring. I feel as though we're just starting to understand it's reaches. We need another NASA to start charting it. Maybe there's a "Federation of Snooter's Ignorance" waiting for us to further understand it before they help us explore further...

i am trying my best...needless to say..NO RICE BURNER TURBO trash on the stang

i am trying my best...needless to say..NO RICE BURNER TURBO trash on the stang

Live in the now, man. The fastest cars in the world run with turbos. They offer forced induction without the parasitic drag of a blower. Not to mention amazing tuneability. Just because smaller diplacement cars have been using them, they shouldn't be ruled out for the big boys.

All the fastest cars at the track (Mustangs included) have turbos. The upper classes of NHRA don't allow them at all in order to keep speeds down.

I myself still prefer the blower, admittedly probably for similar motives as yours, but there's no denying that turbos can make a wicked car. That the smaller rice burners can run with the V8s should encourage you to see what happens when the V8s get that boost crammed in 'em. Plus once you own it, more power is just a quick tune away. BIG power.

Cool picture.

But this would place the turbo about where a Mustang's radio is located.

or where the radiator is. I imagine you could get creative and direct all the exhaust pipes forward then down and to the side between the front of one bank of cylinders and the radiator/heat-exchanger. As for heat under that part of the hood? That's a good thing in cold climates. Just do a sort of cowl induction hood open at the back and watch the snow and ice melt from the windshield without any need for scraping. Heck, raindrops would probably just flash to steam as soon as they hit the glass. It's all good.

Would probably work nice in the back of a GT, back of a Pantera, or the back of a small pickup truck. Would be a piece of cake in a V-drive boat.

OK, we've got the technology, why don't we take Audi's approach and do GDI with a supercharger for the coyote? Their 3.whatever liter v6 with GDI and supercharger is efficient, powerful, and a very compact package. I can't see where taking that approach with the Coyote is a bad idea. And, when making the heads, they HAVE to have at least planned out how to do GDI on it. Lets face it, an application with that kind of power level is going to be boutique no matter how you cut it, so the cost will certainly be passed on to the consumer.

The Coyote heads were packaged for GDI if the decision were made.

Interesting enough the Coyote has a 1932 Flathead firing order. 15486372 same as the Y block and 534 industrial engine.

When the Bowtie crowd switch their firing order around and crow about it all they have is the FH order!!!

Interesting enough the Coyote has a 1932 Flathead firing order. 15486372 same as the Y block and 534 industrial engine.

When the Bowtie crowd switch their firing order around and crow about it all they have is the FH order!!!

Doesn't that firing order require a flat plane crank?

Mind you, it would be nice to hear that boxed firing order in a modern V8.

Edited by jpd80