Trades postings. Something is fishy!

Hard Driver

Ok im one of the M/W that came from saline and i can tell you right now that all of you are wrong in your interpretations of our contract. This is what happened to me so you can understand. Saline was on its way to being sold to JCI so since there was no openings for the trade in our zone and i felt staying was a risk i didnt want to take i came to DTP as production as provided for in the contract. My trade status was the same as being on ILO even though i was on the line working (i took a pay cut back to prod. rate as well). I thought that this was my new home plant so i would be 1st in line for trade openings and that was what i was told by some union reps and company reps too....they were wrong!!!! When some openings came up here at the Rouge i thought i was back in but then the rug was pulled out from under me and told i didnt have the seniority. Come to find out im on the list for my trade in the zone and will get no Special considerations for DTP or the rouge as my "home plant" . So here i am stuck at DTP , driving hilo in production waiting for a opening in my trade in zone that i can get with my seniority. So coming to another plant does not give you a boost to the top like Capt says. Good luck to all of us displaced tradesmen and women waiting to get back to our tools. As for me its been almost 2 yrs out of the trade. Keep the faith brothers and sisters hopefully we will all be back to our trades soon.

FYI trades at DTP are not DTP employees they are from another unit (M&C), you would not have any preference in another unit, just DTP and DTP does not have any skilled so you have preference over no one! So what you were told is still correct, unfortunately your plant is serviced from another unit! So you are ILO status for openings and will have to wait until your seniority dictates a move. Sorry! For all others please make sure you aare going to a plant that has skilled trades!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a laid off tradesman who is now working production. Just before Christmas 5 skilled trade jobs were posted for the Rouge. * 1 Refrigeration Maintainance and Installation * 4 Staionary Steam Engineers. It explained who was eligible to bid and I was one.

Thursday I asked a union rep and labor relations rep what the status of the postings are and they are now telling me that they were only "surveys" to see if anyone would be interested.

The problem here is that they were posted behind glass as jobs that are available...not surveys. The posting board is not to be used as a bulletin board also!

Something sounds very suspicious. How do I follow up outside of my plant.

This just in.... I have been told from trades on the line at DTP that only Local 600 soon to be and currenty laid off trades will be offered the PSO retraining. It seems that have a special local agreement to take care of their own. Dont believe it, call the local. This has been stated to them by local bargaining reps!!!!!

This just in.... I have been told from trades on the line at DTP that only Local 600 soon to be and currenty laid off trades will be offered the PSO retraining. It seems that have a special local agreement to take care of their own. Dont believe it, call the local. This has been stated to them by local bargaining reps!!!!!

You first post within your own plant to the trades that have people laid off or working as production, anyone within that trade can put in for the retraining, they have first right. If no one puts in for it than it goes to those outside the plant. I am not saying I agree with this but it is the same way in any plant.

Edited by CommonSenseAlwaysWorks

Havent you read this thread.

The language they are following is called the 2007 collective bargaining agreement. It has a blue cover and expires in september of 2011. Within this agreement you will find job placement language. In this language you will find the hierarchy of placement. First step of the placement is inplant JSP/ILO. In plant is the skilled trades T&D and M&C Units. If you dont belong to these units you are not in plant and will not be considered inplant. For openings in these units you would fall under the "zone" posting.

Hope this helps

Yes i was offered a temp position at wayne and at romeo. But they were 30 to 90 day only and then i found out i would lose my job and shift at DTP and when then temp position was done. Meaning that when i was done i would come back to DTP and be put back in the labor pool and could be back on the line instead of driving hilo and could end up on a shift like C crew which wouldnt work for me and my family. One of my friends who came to DTP with me( hes in paint) did that first temp MW position in saline that was supposed to be 90 days he was sent back in 2 weeks for " lack of materials" and lucky for him he got his position and shift back but if he was gone for longer ....who knows...

How did you get a hi low job if you are a long term temp? just asking.