Trades postings. Something is fishy!

Hard Driver

I'm a laid off tradesman who is now working production. Just before Christmas 5 skilled trade jobs were posted for the Rouge. * 1 Refrigeration Maintainance and Installation * 4 Staionary Steam Engineers. It explained who was eligible to bid and I was one.

Thursday I asked a union rep and labor relations rep what the status of the postings are and they are now telling me that they were only "surveys" to see if anyone would be interested.

The problem here is that they were posted behind glass as jobs that are available...not surveys. The posting board is not to be used as a bulletin board also!

Something sounds very suspicious. How do I follow up outside of my plant.

Edited by Hard Driver

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have an opinion as to what the heirarchy should be for those retraining positions as an apprentice with day-one seniority....I.E. ...Plant seniority, Zone seniority, I.L.O. seniority.

Those details have not been worked out, so any survey was just a survey and nothing more. When the details are worked out, it will be explained a little better and then resurveyed!!

There are pipe-fitters being laid off in the next couple of weeks from the Rouge. If anything opens up for those postings, they have first crack at it.

Actually they don't. Per contract they are now laid off, ILO.They go int the pool. There is no language that gives them preference.It is a new trade, new date of entry. No way would they get the job with higher seniority pipe-fitters working the line at DTP.Let alone other trades on ilo, working the line also

.You would have a riot on your hands if a guy with 4 years was working his trade while a guy in the same trade was working the line on ilo with 10 yrs. Then he gets laid off with first crack at a new job over the guy with 10??? No freakin way. No one is that stupid to try that!

They go int the pool.

They have recall rights to the Rouge site before any other person in thier trade at any other plant.

I have about 10 years in as an Electrician. If get laid off from my trade at the Rouge I go back to my trade at the Rouge site before anybody at any other plant, in seniority order with everybody else laid off in my trade from the M&C unit, no matter how much seniority they have.

You would have a riot on your hands if a guy with 4 years was working his trade while a guy in the same trade was working the line on ilo with 10 yrs.

Prepare to riot. I know Pipefitters and Millwrights that are working at the DTP body shop that have more seniority than the people that are being laid off out of their trade. Guess what? The people that are getting laid off in a week or so will be called back before the higher seniority working on the line because they have recall rights.

A lot of people don't understand the hierarchy at the Rouge site. We all may be Local 600, but there are many different units inside the site. Just because you are at Local 600, it doesn't get your foot in the door for a trade job. The laid off trades from other plants working production only have production rights. The same works for me. I am an Electrician from Monroe and transferred to Local 600 M&C unit as an Electrician. I only have trades rights. If I get laid off back to production, I don't stay at the Rouge. I go back to my local that I have production time, which happens to be Monroe. If there are no openings there, or it is closed, then I go into the general labor pool.

That's not true.

They are being laid off out of 8061 and are bumping lower seniority out of plants. 3 of them I believe. There is a Pipefitter currently working at Stamping that is scheduled to go to DTP as a production worker.

Doubt me? He is a former Hydraulic guy and he works afternoons. According to him, he has been told they have first crack at any PSO cross train position opening at the Rouge.

Edited by Pioneer

They have recall rights to the Rouge site before any other person in thier trade at any other plant.

I have about 10 years in as an Electrician. If get laid off from my trade at the Rouge I go back to my trade at the Rouge site before anybody at any other plant, in seniority order with everybody else laid off in my trade from the M&C unit, no matter how much seniority they have.

Prepare to riot. I know Pipefitters and Millwrights that are working at the DTP body shop that have more seniority than the people that are being laid off out of their trade. Guess what? The people that are getting laid off in a week or so will be called back before the higher seniority working on the line because they have recall rights.

A lot of people don't understand the hierarchy at the Rouge site. We all may be Local 600, but there are many different units inside the site. Just because you are at Local 600, it doesn't get your foot in the door for a trade job. The laid off trades from other plants working production only have production rights. The same works for me. I am an Electrician from Monroe and transferred to Local 600 M&C unit as an Electrician. I only have trades rights. If I get laid off back to production, I don't stay at the Rouge. I go back to my local that I have production time, which happens to be Monroe. If there are no openings there, or it is closed, then I go into the general labor pool.

I fully understand about recall rights, trades rights and also about trades rights working on the line! If you read the post it was about being laid off in one trade and getting special treatment going into a new trade, big difference. Please read before commenting. :finger:

I fully understand about recall rights, trades rights and also about trades rights working on the line! If you read the post it was about being laid off in one trade and getting special treatment going into a new trade, big difference. Please read before commenting. :finger:

They are being offered the PSO cross training before their layoff takes effect. That is how they are getting "special treatment". Local 600 taking care of it's own. If you don't know how this local works, then I guess I am wasting my time trying to explain it to you.

Those details have not been worked out, so any survey was just a survey and nothing more. When the details are worked out, it will be explained a little better and then resurveyed!!

What is the case for training, we are hyd repar from a close plant being told we are not qualified by local mgt desite the 07 andrecent concession agrement saying we are pipefitters, due cards and employment.

They are being laid off out of 8061 and are bumping lower seniority out of plants. 3 of them I believe. There is a Pipefitter currently working at Stamping that is scheduled to go to DTP as a production worker.

Doubt me? He is a former Hydraulic guy and he works afternoons. According to him, he has been told they have first crack at any PSO cross train position opening at the Rouge.

This is a result of giving up your plant senority. It is the same question I asked Bob King when he visited our plant in that why would any one be willing to place their job in jeprody every time there is a lay off any where. He said no we are not but look at what is happening now. that a UAW rank and file member can bump some one to the street at any given time.

Thank Bob King and those who bought his bull shit.

You should never be able to bump some one out of their home plant simply because you more company seniority and from another plant. Its just not fair!

Edited by mikem12

This is a result of giving up your plant senority. It is the same question I asked Bob King when he visited our plant in that why would any one be willing to place their job in jeprody every time there is a lay off any where. He said no we are not but look at what is happening now. that a UAW rank and file member can bump some one to the street at any given time.

Thank Bob King and those who bought his bull shit.

You should never be able to bump some one out of their home plant simply because you more company seniority and from another plant. Its just not fair!

I agree...this should never happen...and I'm a high seniority pipefitter on I.L.O. in zone 2 without a home plant. I'm not looking forward to displacing anyone...I'll be the most hated person in that plant....I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can place me without causing such pain.

I agree...this should never happen...and I'm a high seniority pipefitter on I.L.O. in zone 2 without a home plant. I'm not looking forward to displacing anyone...I'll be the most hated person in that plant....I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can place me without causing such pain.

i dont want to displace anyone either.. but i dont want to be displaced when i have more company seniority then someone else working in my trade its not a good thing either way and leave it to the union and company to put us up against each other....the only thing ive learned in 15 years at Fords is seniority is all you have and if i can use it to my advantage ill be damned if i dont...hopefully everything works out for us all but i just know someones gonna get screwed its the uaw way !!

Sorry but i couldn't disagree with you more. Back in the day when there were ford plants everywhere and jobs were available I might be able to agree. With all the downsizing and plants closing ,seniority is our ONLY benefit. I am one of the trades working the line at dtp. We have been thrown on the line and forgotten about (don't believe me ask all the other trades working the line). Unfortunately with all this downsizing the language in the contract has not been changed to reflect the current times we live in. I for one wouldn't want to displace someone out of their trade but that seems to be the only fair way to handle it. I don't think it should be just limited to trades either, it should be ford seniority across the board. Where you hired in at should not even be a factor at this point in time. People who already put their time in at other facilities are now back to 2005 seniority and working the worst shift possible along with the worst jobs. I don't see how this is even thought of as fair. Seniority is seniority

And this is simply home grown local "me" mentality , politics. Its also protectionism which is not fair.

You can bet your rear if it was them, they would want this too. Its all bull until it happens to you.

Back in late 1998-99 wixom took in a boat-load of trades from Michigan truck, and flat rock when the cut a shift. We had double ups in allot of areas. We plainly had too many trades but they took them anyway. Most had good seniority and bumped people. They worked there a year or so and when the shift started back they all left. The reason they wont do it now is there is too many trades in their minds and they want some or all of us to quit. That is why we have been forgotten. I know the last concession was bs , but if we would have got our pay back that would have been an incentive to put us back on.On another note, if people with 40 plus years would retire allot of us would be working our tools.

Well it's amazing how things can get so off track. As always I appreciate the follow ups.

I was simply stating that it is wrong to disguise a survey on the job posting boards. If they are doing a survey call it a survey. Otherwise they are being deceptive which makes me wonder why. Don't use the job posting boards for any thing except information on jobs that are available!!! My wife is a human resource rep at a company and was very surprised that Ford would allow the job postings area to be abused like this.

The problem here is that they were posted behind glass as jobs that are available...not surveys. The posting board is not to be used as a bulletin board also!

You can bet your rear if it was them, they would want this too. Its all bull until it happens to you.

Back in late 1998-99 wixom took in a boat-load of trades from Michigan truck, and flat rock when the cut a shift. We had double ups in allot of areas. We plainly had too many trades but they took them anyway. Most had good seniority and bumped people. They worked there a year or so and when the shift started back they all left. The reason they wont do it now is there is too many trades in their minds and they want some or all of us to quit. That is why we have been forgotten. I know the last concession was bs , but if we would have got our pay back that would have been an incentive to put us back on.On another note, if people with 40 plus years would retire allot of us would be working our tools.

They apparently do want the excess(in their minds) trades to quit. Otherwise, they would put them to work. And if Iuaw was serious about it, work could be brought back in-house or new work brought in to keep trades working AND off the line.

I dont believe full trade pay would make any diff to Ford. GEN was supposed to deter them from ILO's. Alot of good that did. Ford wants trades to disappear and it has the blessings of the Int'l and Bob King.