MKC is DEAD

Ford owns trademarks on old models to make $$ from toys, models, and nostolgia products. GM does the same with their millions of droped names. It is also to keep a new car make to use an old name. Imagine a new 2014 Chinese car called T-bird?

I would hope Ford is a little more protective now. Remember, the COTY was almost a Futura.

Thank you Pepboys.

Accoring to the US Trademark Office's TESS system, the MKC trademark was allowed to die on December 14th of 2009. The mark was first filed by Ford Motor on September 30th of 2005.

I've been digging in the TESS system to look for names for the new Mercury C-segment vehicle.

EDIT: The "MKC" mark is still active, the "Lincoln MKC" mark was allowed to expire. FoMoCo still has the mark for "LINCOLN MKT" "LINCOLN MKX" LINCOLN MKS" etc...

Edit 2: MKSW was also registered in 2006, and was just recently allowed to die. FoMoCo still holds live marks on MKN, MKA, MKE, and MKR.

I seriously hope they scrap ALL of the "Mk" names. To imitate the Europeans and create alphabet soup is just simply characterless.

Bring back names like Continental and Premier.

I'll be the first to admit that the MK names can be confusing (Though I would argue no more than other makes). But I always laugh when people long for certain names (Caddy folk seem to do this too). I prefer MKS to "Continental". MKZ to "Zephyr" or "LS". I suppose MKX or Aviator were toss-ups. The Caddy ones are even worse. Really? Catera vs. CTS? Deville/Seville vs. DTS/STS? I just don't see it.

imho, at this point, I say keep the MucK for the F-Awd vehicles

(I don't actually dislike alphabet soup - just not crazy about desecrating MARK into MucK, but it's too late now)

so/imho

the only NAME left is CONTINENTAL (Premier is a Mercury trim now)

...they'd need to create some NEW names for any other (not many) RWD's

(maaaaaaaaaaaaybe they could do something with "god" names -- would compliment/complement Lincoln-MERCURY ;))

Edited by 2b2