Pontiac Going RWD

ANTAUS

I'm not sure people are buying cars because they are RWD. Some people want performance cars and Ford has a RWD chasis for that thanks to the Mustang; although it's completely unsuitable for any other application. Unless a big demand for RWD sedans starts happening, I'm not sure Ford or GM have a business case. Chrysler has seen HUGE success with its RWD sedans, but how much of that is related to fashion or RWD performance? The Dodge Charger has not been as successful as the 300C despite its performance superiority. I'm sure the strong performance image of the 300C certainly helps to increase appeal. Imagine how differently the 300C would be spoken of if it had bin pinned to a 500 chasis. It probably would not have seen the same reverence without the horsepower and RWD performance. The 300C was able to back up its look with its performance which solidified its popularity. I suppose a case could be made thanks to Chrysler; afterall Ford proved there is a huge market for RWD sports cars so now we have two companies reviving their pony car killers. I'm less inclined to believe that Ford will take the bait on this one.

Edited by BORG

The tone of this article makes it sound like AutoWeek has firm information Pontiac is going RWD. Thus, let's look at this:

- The good:

It could make Pontiac different from other GM cars, which is important for GM

Rear wheel drive "seems" more performance-oriented, so that's a good thing

They'll probably kill the Grand Prix, which currently is a tarnished name because of that crap design it now has and it's bloated too big

It will kill that minivan they have, an image downer and poor seller. Nobody, not nobody thinks "minivan" with "performance"

If they do this, will Pontiac return to NASCAR? Not sure, but they should slot the Grand Prix replacement in there

- What could screw the pooch:

If they have other GM brands go RWD, that's bad for making Pontiac different. They should have Pontiac be a RWD Chrysler/Dodge fighter, Chevy for FWD American buyers and Saturn for FWD Import buyers.

If they take away the G6 after a limited amount of market time, then that's a total loss. The G6 has been received positively.

If Pontiac moves away from their "sexy" advertising

If the rental/fleet ratio stays at 40% (wtf?), but that doesn't hurt Pontiac as much as it hurt the Ford Taurus

Being "performance" only in image - all Pontiacs must have a fast I4 and a fast V6, and it needs to show in comparison tests

Potential target audiences for GM midsize sedans:

Pontiac: 20s-30s

Saturn: 30s

Chevy: 40s

Buick: Baby Boomer generation

Cadillac: Upscale 30s-60s

Edited by Roadrunner

Unless Pontiac has a plan to replace the G6 and Vibe with RWD vehicles then they are in no way "going RWD". At best they are going to add a RWD sedan along with the current coupe and roadster. But the volume models (and thus the bulk of their sales) will remain FWD, just like every single other non-luxury brand on the planet.

I think its amusing that the article manages to contradict itself, first stating that a Firebird is under consideration, then saying it is not going to happen. Nice.

Can any of the current models be made into 4WD?

I don't think the article said anything specific, but if Pontiac is going to be strictly RWD, they're going to lose a lot of sales in the Northern states where AWD is becoming increasingly popular. Personally, I'm in Michigan, and I would get AWD or 4WD on any RWD-based car or truck whether it hurts gas mileage or not.

I don't think the article said anything specific, but if Pontiac is going to be strictly RWD, they're going to lose a lot of sales in the Northern states where AWD is becoming increasingly popular. Personally, I'm in Michigan, and I would get AWD or 4WD on any RWD-based car or truck whether it hurts gas mileage or not.

In the end, I think the RWD plaform they want to build will flop. The only RWD GMC had that could make the grade were the Caprice/RoadMaster/Brougham line. Read; RWD BOF beasts. GMC had lots of RWD cars up 'til the late '80s. They were solid cars but lousy snow cars... Then they went FWD.

Unless Pontiac plans on building a Bonneville to match the pre FWD cars ( read big, BOF/RWD/V8s ) I see almost no impact. Certainly nothing Ford couldn't match by dusting off the old mid '90s T'Bird/Cougar platform.

And of course... ther is the Mustang ;)

The very first Grand Prix (1962) were full-sized coupes, never sdeans.

If Pontiac wants to do some rwd, cool. Why can't all manufacturers make examples of both? RWD is cheaper to build and having it as an alternative would be highly profitable. The G6 name is silly when Pontiac has a history loaded with useable cool names from their past. GM will definitely get back inot rwd for profits waiting to be made from cabs and squad cars. DCX is slowly making squad cars sales (I guess), but has a long way to go to make a dent in it. They are already making cabs check out Las Vegas, although I haven't seen any in NYC. GM (I'm sure) would love to get back in to it.

I'm sick of having to spoon-feed all the poor snow-belt drivers who are too cheap/lazy to learn proper winter driving techniques or to purchase some snow tires. That being said, one look at the AWD V8 Chryslers suggests that keeping the line-up FWD-based for the sake of a few Northerners is wholly unnecessary. If DCX can add AWD to its RWD sedans, GM could as well. And electronic driver aids make RWD fully functional on most wintery surfaces, anyhow.

Recent RWD Cadillacs suggest that GM can build a decent, modern RWD sports sedan. Leveraging on Pontiac's 1955-1979 ethos and remaking it into an exciting, RWD-based performance division (with the mid-range dealers aligned as Pontiac-Buick-GMC) simply makes too much sense not to do.

Ford better get some new RWDs ready or be left further behind.

Recent RWD Cadillacs suggest that GM can build a decent, modern RWD sports sedan. Leveraging on Pontiac's 1955-1979 ethos and remaking it into an exciting, RWD-based performance division (with the mid-range dealers aligned as Pontiac-Buick-GMC) simply makes too much sense not to do.

Exactly.

I encourage Pontiac to do it.

The article said that the plan is not final...lots could happen with GM's financial situation. I'll believe it when I see rear-wheel-drive Pontiacs at my local Pontiac dealer.

GM has a long history of over-promising and under-delivering.

Any new rear-wheel-drive Pontiac is a few years away. The brand could be dead by that time. The market isn't waiting with baited breath for new Pontiacs.

I'm sick of having to spoon-feed all the poor snow-belt drivers who are too cheap/lazy to learn proper winter driving techniques or to purchase some snow tires. That being said, one look at the AWD V8 Chryslers suggests that keeping the line-up FWD-based for the sake of a few Northerners is wholly unnecessary. If DCX can add AWD to its RWD sedans, GM could as well. And electronic driver aids make RWD fully functional on most wintery surfaces, anyhow.

Ford better get some new RWDs ready or be left further behind.

Although I have driven FWD almost exclusively since 1984 (except for an '88 Aerostar, which was RWD and useless in snow), I have to agree. Every car I owned up until then was RWD and here in Pennsylvania (1oo west of NYC and 70 north of Philly), it can get very dicey on the roads. I managed to make it to my destination. Any car needs balance of power for good snow driving, and RWD did it for years without incident as long as you drove sensibly.

The article said that the plan is not final...lots could happen with GM's financial situation. I'll believe it when I see rear-wheel-drive Pontiacs at my local Pontiac dealer.

GM has a long history of over-promising and under-delivering.

Any new rear-wheel-drive Pontiac is a few years away. The brand could be dead by that time. The market isn't waiting with baited breath for new Pontiacs.

It's been said the Pontiac Grand Prix replacement in 2008 will be RWD - it will share with the Impala, Lacrosse, and other full-size sedans. But I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the shift from the FWD W Platform to the RWD Zeta Platform is a rumor only??

FWD vs RWD in snow? Who cares? There is one fundamental difference nowadays that wasn't the case years ago. That's the existance of mini-utes and SUV's that have increased ground clearance and automatic 4wd/awd. It's the availability of mainstream 4wd/awd that's driving the car's return to RWD. The only drivability benefit to FWD is in inclement weather. My Ranger sux in snow and even hard rain, but it sits in bad weather and we take the 4wd mini ute instead.